Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 05:43   #1

Help me spend at REI!

My wife and I received our US Sailing certifications recently and do not own a boat (yet). We are just a few years from retirement and plan to buy a liveaboard at that time.

We have our annual 20% off plus dividend to spend at REI. What fun, interesting, or needed sailing stuff have you purchased at REI? Looking for ideas!
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:55   #2

Re: Help me spend at REI!

Bought a bivy sack with mine. Light, for use when I want to sleep out on the net and stay dry.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:33   #3

Boat: Nauticat 43

REI has high quality gear and apparel. You might want to check out items like rain gear, wind breakers, shoes, socks, wind pants, hats with the neck flap, long sleeve polyester athletic shirts, manually operated water purifiers, hands-free head lamps with white and red lights, and binoculars.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:39   #4

Boat: Macgregor 26S

carabineers, drip coffee units (plastic @$4.95), rappeling double loops for boom brake.
Jhhastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:53   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 28

REI sells hi-tech undies for cross country skiing – basically a “laminated wicking layer” to remove moisture. These are guaranteed to prevent “dinghy butt”. If you have ever sat down on a wet dinghy seat for a ride to shore, you will know what I mean. Combine these undies with fast drying nylon shorts and you are set! The undies are something over $30 a pair but you will never regret this expense.

Another item you want is from the rock climbing section where you will find an “etrier” – a short nylon ladder used for “technical” climbing made from webbing. This will not scratch your gel-coat and can be clipped to a stanchion with a karabiner to provide an emergency boarding ladder where you need it. It can also be used as a dinghy boarding ladder for getting the less than athletic snorkelers out of the water.

Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:57   #6

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Rei makes a store-brand version of the Tilley hat. Been very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:31   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48

20% off a yeti is hard to beat
chris4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:36   #8

Boat: Endeavour, 1983 Sloop, 38 Ft.

I bought Microfiber bath towels there. They dry very quickly.
SecondWind90814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:46   #9

Boat: Beneteau 411

Dry-bags are handy. Check out the Teva sandals.
apacit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:57   #10

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post
My wife and I received our US Sailing certifications recently and do not own a boat (yet). We are just a few years from retirement and plan to buy a liveaboard at that time.

We have our annual 20% off plus dividend to spend at REI. What fun, interesting, or needed sailing stuff have you purchased at REI? Looking for ideas!
===

Climbing harness to use instead of a bosun's chair - smaller, lighter and safer.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:45   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Go to one which has a climbing wall, & bring a book. Then, when on the ground, try out several models of harnesses. Preferably ones with padded leg loops. Ones which have loops that you can fasten & unfasten/tighten while keeping the waist belt in place. AKA Drop Seat types.
Check out www.TrailSpace.com for gear reviews. Here's their harness page (for guys) http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sit-harnesses/

When you find your top 3 choices, all of which "seem" to fit well, with & without your foulies, plus several under layers on underneath of them. Then, break out your book, have them hoist you 3' off of the floor, & hang out in them while enjoying a good read... for 30min minimum. Do this both with, & sans all of your cold & wet weather gear on; each way, for 1/2hr.
Plus, of course, try a bit of climbing in them, while dressed both ways.

If any of your extremeties start to go numb, or get uncomfortable, move on to the next candidate harness.
Also, see how tough it is to operate your fly/make a trip to the men's room, while wearing all but you top foulie layer. When in the harness.

I'd encourage you to have your partner do the same (without you Anywhere nearby during most of the process), even if you'll be the primary one going aloft. As if your "replacement" has a full set of comfortable gear (comfortable; physically, & emotionally). Then it will make going aloft a non gender specific job.
And honestly, some of the best views on the planet are from up there. Ditto on opportunities/POV's for taking pictures.
In addition to the fact that it's essential for several primary crew to be both fully comfortable, & competent, regarding going aloft.

Other than harnesses. Snag a few sewn runners, which have "foot loops" stitched over their entire lengths. Plus a few high load, locking, & auto-locking 'biners. Including several in stainless or titanium.

Also, some clothing; base layers, long johns, & pants & shirts (including Polo's), made from synthetic fabrics with anti-microbial agents built in. So that, needs be, you can wear them for 2-3 days without them taking on any odors.
And maybe (?) some goretex socks?

Plus, also, some waterproof fleece/soft shells (top & bottom). They truly ROCK too. Especially the pants!

And if there's anything left over, waterproof, high output headlamps are nice. Ones which have battery packs that slip inside of your jackets if you plan to sail where it's cold. And if you can find'em; ones which have both red (or green), & white headlamps in the same unit. So as to preserve your night vision.
--> Along with some quality rechargable batts, & a charger or two for same. K--

Ah, & a perinneal fav; Chapstick with SPF built in. Plus some (spare) Croakies.
Also, one other fav is Aquasocks; both as deck wear when it's warm; & for showering,. Plus trips to the shower & back, as guests at YC's.

PS: Consider snagging some other components to flesh out your mast climbing kit as well. But do some research on specifics, prior to going to the store. In additon to trying out such gear, if possible.
On other people's boats, or the store's climbing wall.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:22   #12

We have the collapsable coffee unit, it beats waiting on the coffee to perk.
It is in the camping section, and packs away nicely. We could have sold about six units, to our fellow sailors in the last couple of years.
mlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:53   #13

Look at their fleece sleeping bags (or sleeping bag liners). They aren't too hot. Don't feel damp. Less hassle than sheets and blankets. Roll up for storage. Easy to wash. If it's a cold night we unzip an extra to make it a blanket. If you don't like the REI brands, there are plenty of inexpensive alternatives online.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:01   #14

Boat: Union cutter 33

Is this a advertisement for rei....
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:51   #15

Arrow Re: Help me spend at REI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post

Ice ax (wooden handle) and crampons. Eventually essential as the ice shelves everywhere continue calving into the seas.
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote