Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49   #1

pirate 6ft8 30k to spend on a boat HELP!!!!

Hi guys/girls,

Im 6ft8 and want to cruise around the world in a sailboat. I am not very experienced and am reading a lot etc. I would like to do coastal sailing first before i cross an ocean. Couple of questions for you experienced sailors.

1. What is a good boat for single handed sailing being 6ft8
2. min lenght I try to avoid inboard engine and have an outboard with solar panels and wind.
3. Refrigerator on board y/n? Is it doable without an inboard engine and only solar and wind.
Let me know guys I want to leave this sumer
gr8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
A couple of things;
at 6'8" its going to be hard to find a boat with that headroom in your budget, but they do exist. Columbia 45 would fit. having said that I would not pick a big boat like that as your first boat.
At 30K ( USD I presume?) you will seeing a number of boats in the 27-30 foot range, all of which will require substantial investment (?) in order to safely coastal cruise. Anything larger will require more cash in order to sail.
On any boat small enough to have an outboard engine you will have issues with space for solar panels and wind generator, especially for a fridge unit.
Back to the budget thing; There are any number of small boats that are good for coastal crusing, Pearson Triton, Pearson Vanguard, Flicka, She 29, Trintella 29,etc
etc. All of these are going to be old by now and will require lots of updating before going anywhere off a lake or a bay. None of them will be easy with your height.
Given all of that I would seriously take a look at the Westerly Centaur, 26 feet a good, well built cruising boat. Big for its size and you should be able to pick one up for around USD 2000-5000 in the USA. I know of one going for about 2500 without an engine. Agsin it will require another 10k to make it seaworthy.
Dont mean to put you off, but its a big undertaking, have fun and go!
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
6ft 8" is going to be tough on 30K. The only thing I can figure is buying a keel stepped mast boat and raising the coach roof. If you are handy and can fiberglass, it would work. Other than that like mentioned above, Colombia's have a lot of head room.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33   #4

It's going to be a challenge with your constraints, even in this buyer's market. I think the likeliest solution for you is to modify a used boat to make your 6-8 frame comfortable. But before doing that I would suggest getting more experience somehow, to make sure this is what you want.

Unfortunately, charters with 6-8 headroom, if they exist, are very rare, so you would probably be less comfortable down below and sleeping as a result.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote