Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2019, 07:09   #61

Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would be very surprised if that was true, divers and diving support companies have an agenda, it's to keep people diving! Let's face it, ANY kind of bloody offal seems to attract sharks, that's universally how people in the know attract them. But is the percentage difference in attacks huge? I doubt it.
But I would be on careful watch if my daughter was diving on her period!

Dr. Tricia Meredith is truly an expert in shark smelling – if you want to know more about her expertise check out.
Olfactory morphology and physiology of elasmobranchs
Tricia L. Meredith, Stephen M. Kajiura
Journal of Experimental Biology

As to your assertion “Let's face it, ANY kind of bloody offal seems to attract sharks”
A shark might be able to smell you, but that doesn't mean it will equate that smell with food. Or, as Dr. Kajiura put it, "You can smell a landfill, but it won't make you want to eat it."
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 07:19   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post
Boatman as you are kind enough to frequently share your wisdom, you might choose to reinforce your wisdom with research and facts. For your reading pleasure here are some articles that seem reasonably well researched and debunk your theory about menstruation and shark attacks.

Can Sharks Smell Period Blood

No, menstrual blood does not attract sharks
Why Swimming During Your Period Is Both Safe and Recommended
Why thank you kind sir.. your the second person to convert ??? to a theory..
As I do not have to endure menstruation it does not worry me, however swimming where there are sharks is not high on my bucket list and when leaking blood from anywhere it goes to the bottom of the list.
To be honest having faith in the behavior of something that is ruled by its nervous system more than its brain I will leave to the heroic shark divers.. I feel safer going across the English Channel on a foggy night fast asleep and on autopilot..
So far so good comes in many forms..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 07:23   #63

Quote:
Boatman as you are kind enough to frequently share your wisdom, you might choose to reinforce your wisdom with research and facts. For your reading pleasure here are some articles that seem reasonably well researched and debunk your theory about menstruation and shark attacks.

Can Sharks Smell Period Blood

No, menstrual blood does not attract sharks
Why Swimming During Your Period Is Both Safe and Recommended
To me those articles seem to neither prove or disprove anything.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 07:28   #64

https://66.media.tumblr.com/41557641...v7xpo1_500.jpg
Old 29-06-2019, 10:29   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
To me those articles seem to neither prove or disprove anything.
Yeah, at the risk of more mansplaining, one of those articles with the scientist who "wrote the book on it" closes with this little gem:
"I never investigated shark's sensitivity to blood." Instead, she did lots of cool experiments with amino acids to test shark smelling capability. She also stated that that a female swimmer having her monthly visit could indeed cause a shark to be much more sensitive the body's electrical field which is one way they detect prey.

When one posts a snarky meme it is common practice to actually read the articles one has linked. Not sure why anyone is upset. There is a scientific answer, no doubt. Memes and bad articles aren't going to help.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 10:39   #66

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dont go swimming during ones period.???
Boatman61 , that is one of the most horrible things I have ever seen anyone say. WTF is the matter with you?! She was only 21 for god sake!
Old 29-06-2019, 11:02   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
Boatman61 , that is one of the most horrible things I have ever seen anyone say. WTF is the matter with you?! She was only 21 for god sake!
So were many in Yemen.. and much younger.. **** happens.
She was one in a million or more.. wrong place wrong time.. Get over it.
Or are you another 'Selective'.???

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-06-2019, 11:02   #68

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
To state the obvious, the ocean, especially the ocean adjacent to deep water, can be (is?) a dangerous place.

To anthropomorphize fish behavior is almost as bad as to 'predict' where certain species will or will not be. A top predator will go anywhere it damn well pleases, and in which it is comfortable.

I'm surprised that there aren't more incidents, given the complete ignorance probably the majority of people who venture into coastal waters possess; I often tell people on the inshore beaches of the northern gulf coast that if they knew what was in there they'd probably not wade in them.

Luckily for those people the 'hazards' are generally more aware than the humans are...
You are so right Jim. We too live in Slidell. While the water is not often clear here, we do clean our prop and bottom during the warm months and are always concerned about sharks and the murky water, as Lake Pontchartrain is full of Bull Sharks, year round. Gators too. The northern Gulf Coast, where we sail, has huge hammerheads and occasionally Whites and Tigers.
Old 29-06-2019, 11:20   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Yeah, at the risk of more mansplaining, one of those articles with the scientist who "wrote the book on it" closes with this little gem:
"I never investigated shark's sensitivity to blood." Instead, she did lots of cool experiments with amino acids to test shark smelling capability. She also stated that that a female swimmer having her monthly visit could indeed cause a shark to be much more sensitive the body's electrical field which is one way they detect prey.

When one posts a snarky meme it is common practice to actually read the articles one has linked. Not sure why anyone is upset. There is a scientific answer, no doubt. Memes and bad articles aren't going to help.

I claim not expertise in this field which is why I look to experts for guidance.
Cyan, I’m sorry I missed where exactly you got your doctorate in marine biology. Perhaps you could offer up your credentials.
You must be particularly learned in this field to flippantly dismiss the explicitly expressed opinions of Dr. Tricia L. Meredith and Dr Stephen Kajiura both of Florida Atlantic University, whose expertise is in sensory biology of sharks. Between the two of them they have over 80 peer reviewed publications that have garnered hundreds of citations in peer reviewed publications.
So they are offering informed opinions. Their judgement has been validate by peer review and worthy of quoting by other experts in the field.
So yes Cyan, et al...until you show some credentials or link to items of substance then I’m comfortable, perhaps unfairly of lumping you in with the Mansplainers.
None of the of those on this thread advising women what they shouldn’t do at particular times during their menstrual cycle have offered up any evidence of expertise or any links to credible publications – so more oldwives tales and uninformed opinions applied to shape the behaviour of women. Quite possibly with good intention but still ignorant and so not 21st century.
Yes its a particularly sensitive topic as ignorance about menstruation has been used to oppress women for centuries. In parts of the world that combination of ignorance and suppression of women is still deadly – 4th deaths year to date in Nepal. Google Menstrual huts. Telling women who are menstruating that they can’t sleep in the family home is perhaps more extreme than advising them they can’t go swimming but it is along the same arc of uniformed and ignorant actions applied to shape how women live their lives.
Old 29-06-2019, 11:29   #70

Nobody here is trying to suppress women.

The crime here, of course, is the exaggerated headlines of the media:

Annual Risk Of Death During One's Lifetime

Cause of Deaths ... Annual Deaths ... Death Risk During One's Lifetime

Heart disease 652,486 1 in 5

Cancer 553,888 1 in 7

Stroke 150,074 1 in 24

Hospital Infections 99,000 1 in 38

Flu 59,664 1 in 63

Car accidents 44,757 1 in 84

Suicide 31,484 1 in 119

Accidental poisoning 19,456 1 in 193

MRSA (resistant bacteria) 19,000 1 in 197

Falls 17,229 1 in 218

Drowning 3,306 1 in 1,134

Bike accident 762 1 in 4,919

Air/space accident 742 1 in 5,051

Excessive cold 620 1 in 6,045

Sun/heat exposure 273 1 in 13,729

Lightning 47 1 in 79,746

Train crash 24 1 in 156,169

Fireworks 11 1 in 340,733

Shark attack 1 1 in 3,748,067

So maybe tap the brakes on the hyperbole.

Edit: The risk of you getting taken in by an exaggerated headline if it aligns with your politics: Close to 100%.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 11:32   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I claim not expertise in this field which is why I look to experts for guidance.
Cyan, I’m sorry I missed where exactly you got your doctorate in marine biology. Perhaps you could offer up your credentials.
You must be particularly learned in this field to flippantly dismiss the explicitly expressed opinions of Dr. Tricia L. Meredith and Dr Stephen Kajiura both of Florida Atlantic University, whose expertise is in sensory biology of sharks. Between the two of them they have over 80 peer reviewed publications that have garnered hundreds of citations in peer reviewed publications.
So they are offering informed opinions. Their judgement has been validate by peer review and worthy of quoting by other experts in the field.
So yes Cyan, et al...until you show some credentials or link to items of substance then I’m comfortable, perhaps unfairly of lumping you in with the Mansplainers.
None of the of those on this thread advising women what they shouldn’t do at particular times during their menstrual cycle have offered up any evidence of expertise or any links to credible publications – so more oldwives tales and uninformed opinions applied to shape the behaviour of women. Quite possibly with good intention but still ignorant and so not 21st century.
Yes its a particularly sensitive topic as ignorance about menstruation has been used to oppress women for centuries. In parts of the world that combination of ignorance and suppression of women is still deadly – 4th deaths year to date in Nepal. Google Menstrual huts. Telling women who are menstruating that they can’t sleep in the family home is perhaps more extreme than advising them they can’t go swimming but it is along the same arc of uniformed and ignorant actions applied to shape how women live their lives.
LMAO.. lets get this down to ancient customs why dont we..
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Menstruation

Old 29-06-2019, 11:34   #72

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Just to drift the thread a little, boatman 1, post #27. I thought surface supply and scuba spear fishing was illegal in Bahamas.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 11:38   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey.. WTF do I know.. never been to the Bahamas for 1..
Dont eat fish and dont kill for pleasure for 2..

Old 29-06-2019, 11:46   #74

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Hey ya old limey, ( I’m one as well), Read carefully what I wrote.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 11:52   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Hey ya old limey, ( I’m one as well), Read carefully what I wrote.
Apologies if you took it personally.. it was not meant that way..
But my statement stands.. to many use and abuse, how much of that grouper went to waste.. entitled humanity.

Tags
Bahamas