Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 14:34   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Foul weather gear selection

Yeah, check out Cabellas, Sierra Trading Post, Moosejaw, and other online hunting and outdoors suppliers.

I have a pair of gen-you-whine GoreTex bib pants, lightly insulated (or heavily lined, whichever way you look at it) there were under a hundred bucks on clearance. Anyone who doesn't like the woodlands camo pattern isn't allowed to duck hunt with me, TFB.

Similarly, there are Gore-Tex jackets and lighter rain pants and all sorts of perfectly good weather gear">foul weather gear sold to the non-marine markets. I have a Marmot ski jacket that has a GoreTex extreme warranty, and will keep me bone dry even in tropical storm conditions. Wasn't on sale, wasn't cheap, still way cheaper than my good Henry Lloyds, which were bought when Gore-Tex was still a newfangled rare thing.

Marine foul weather gear will have some points. Like, baffled fly zippers to keep you mainly dry when you need to use the zipper anyway. And usually much deeper collars, to keep your face warm. And often a hi-viz hood. But you can get something that will do a fine job in most of the weather that you'd want to sail through, for a lot less.

And if you can catch any of it (marine or otherwise) at year end clearance when the styles are changing? That's the best deal of them all. Often over 50% off.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:16   #32

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

I was recently at a boat show (Southampton) with huge selection of this gear so got to try all the different stuff on (and yes the prices were much better at the show)
Originally both my wife and I went with the Gill OS2 due (primarily to fit and then price) what did surprise me was how uncomfortable for me the jackets were around the neck - I just found them very stiff and awkward - especially compared to my snowboard jackets (I was convinced before I tried any of them on I would go with Musto) ... I tried HH, Musto, Henry Lloyd and Gill. On the last day of the show I stumbled on the new Musto offshore race jacket (Goretex and top of their range) it fitted and felt amazing (I will not be sailing in latitudes below 38 south so I dont beleive I really need the burka look) and being on a cat also gives more protection from the elements. So I ended up with their top of the range offshore salopettes and race jacket (the skirt is slightly higher and the hood is not nearly as restrictive and i will therefore get a lot more use out of the jacket because of this and the hood is removable) And my wife stayed with the Gill OS2
So I guess the learning is (if you can) try on this stuff before you make a decision and talk to the experts in the shop (hopefully there will be some)
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04   #33

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Thanks for the insight. I have tried the OS2 and feel confortable in it. But we may have different physionomies that explain the confort or discomfort.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:55   #34

I also found out that
Helly Hansen owns Musto.
Canadian Tire Corporation just bought HH for close to 1 billion $$
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15   #35
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I have often bought used foul weather gear. I've had jackets from Helly Hansen and Henri Lloyd and West Marine. Also some fisher/hunting gear. All were good. The Helly Hansen jacket was a bit worn out, but it still kept me dry. The present Henri Lloyd is very nice with snuggly neckline and good neoprene cuffs.
As for pants/bibs, used ones are usually hardly worn at all. Good value.
Frankly I'd go with any of these that have decent pockets and closures and fits with enough room for layers underneath.

The most I ever paid was $50 for a brand-new jacket. Most of them are nearly free; I refer to them as my "Dead Captains' Gear".

And I say that respectfully. I had known some of the wearers.
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:24   #36

I do look for second hand gear.
Can't find my size or the models I like
I did buy for my wife a Spinlock Deckvest from a women who bought it to go on her basis sailing course and found out that sailing is not for her. Paid Half the price for a Deckvest worn 5 days.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:05   #37
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
I do look for second hand gear.
Can't find my size or the models I like
I did buy for my wife a Spinlock Deckvest from a women who bought it to go on her basis sailing course and found out that sailing is not for her. Paid Half the price for a Deckvest worn 5 days.
That's a good buy!

There's quite a selection available on Kijiji in Ontario right now. "Foul weather" seems to be the search term. Since the stuff can be easily shipped by mail, it's probably worth it.
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 21:18   #38

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Yup, I am cheap. I go to "gave it up...or upgraded gear places." I just bought a pair of gortex Musto bibs for 30 dollars. Absolutely perfect shape. They are almost 300 Plus on Amazon. Got a pair of automatic Sospenders made by West Marine for another 30 bucks. Easily 250 bucks at West Marine. My wife used some baking soda and water and they look very nice.

I use my gortex storm jacket shell and layer up underneath it. I just can't believe the prices they want for basic rain gear these days. That jacket is like a good friend. Skied so many days in it. Lived in Tahoe and Mammoth for ten years. How could i go anywhere without my trusted friends?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 06:46   #39

Boat: C&C 40

Whatever you buy, for your safety, don't buy dark colored gear. We will not have blue or dark red gear on board. Even with reflective white stripes. Dark colors connot be readily picked out in the water daytime and not at all at night. Reflective only works at night, and can get mistaken or overlooked as whitecaps. Relinda has a bright pink jacket with hood we put defective on. I have a bright yellow. Granted, neither are drastic foul weather rated, but serve us well here in FLA and southern waters.
Of course there will be others that have to buy the bestest and mostest and will criticize you for not, but buy for what you sail in and feel safe with. Save the big bucks for your boat.
Ted.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 06:52   #40

Hi

I went in a slightly different direction. I have a simple plastic waterproof workman's jacket and trousers when it's wet. For when it's really cold I use a flotation suit.

https://www.uk-fishing-tackle.co.uk/...roducts_id=145
I have used it a few times and I have to say so far it's way-way-way better at keeping me warm and dry than any of the H.L stuff I have used..(also a fraction of the price)
skyrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 06:56   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We traveled Hampton Virginia to BVI two years ago. Low grade inexpensive gear for the first four days. Mostly enclosed cockpit. No problem. Haven’t worn the stuff since.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 07:25   #42

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

I purchased the Gill OS2 jacket and pants 4 years ago on sale at the Annapolis Sailboat show. I'm 6'5" and the XL fits me perfectly. No issues with the collar or hood. Very good range of motion. The collars on the cuffs keep your arms dry. It's kept me dry and warm on a couple late fall deliveries from the northeast US to the BVIs that have included many thunderstorms and lots of spray.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 07:44   #43
Marine Service Provider

I bought a $600 jacket back in the 80's for offshore deliveries...in the middle of a storm, when you are almost totally dry, you will NEVER regret spending the extra bucks for an
exceptionally good jacket....suck it up and spend what it takes... willy MC
Willymc61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 08:16   #44

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

Consider Grundens.
Its good enough for professional fisherman and lobsterman.
More durable and affordable than yachtie gear.
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 08:51   #45

Boat: 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser

I'd appreciate a copy of your Illustrated Guide for Foul Weather Clothing and Gear

TIA

allendick@gmail.com
allendick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather