Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 09:30   #46

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'
Re: Foul weather gear selection

I find that the Gill OS1 and OS2 start leaking (fabric delamination) after 18-24 months of heavy use. I sail a lot, and use them a lot, worn maybe 80 days a year. Always fail after 2 years. Now I use Grundens for a water proof layer when it's raining or lots of spray, and save the Gill for fine weather when it's just damp or cool.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:18   #47

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

So much depends on temperature. I'd go out racing in SF Bay city front so we had a lot of green water and come back soaked, from sweat. Used a nice set of coastal gear, didn't breathe so they weren't comfortable long term. They also delaminated after a year so the bottoms .... no es bueno.

We either use classic fisherman's gear, like Grunden's, don't breathe, but don't have to, air is constantly moving inside, great bang for the buck. I personally spent the extra money to get gear that breathes. I've got a set of Goretex bibs by Kokitat, that are brilliant, I use them as waders for fly fishing too. I later got a dry top, for really wet stuff and survival conditions, the top and bottom roll together making creating a dry suit for full immersion. I carry a set light gear for spray and rain, so on a long trip, one set is airing out.

Columbia has some new gear that is really interesting. The waterproof layer is on the outside like fisherman's gear. but they stretch and breathe. Goretex gear gets soaked, and never dry out because of all the absorbed salt. The waterproof membrane is protected inside. The new Columbia gear dries fast and clean because the outer layer is waterproof. Haven't tried tried them yet but several friends now use them for wet conditions here in the PNW.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:19   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Plastic is just fine for occasional showers but in muggy August days, Gore-Tex can really shine. It isn't perfect but I've come to love it. And I've had it fail--but I no longer care about Gore-Tex failing. The good stuff comes with taped seams and their "extreme wet weather" guarantee (exact name changes from time to time) and when and if the Gore-Tex ever delaminates or fails? You call the company who made it, or you call Gore, and there's a very simple "Takee Fixee" guarantee. Gore will replace it with a comparable new product. They told me "just find something similar and let us know, we'll have it sent to you." And they did. (Marmot did this pre-emptively while I had a jacket in for zipper repair, Gore did this another time on request.)
From what I understand of it, if you are actually SITTING in a puddle, it may come back through the Gore-Tex, but than again, that's what "plastic" pants are for.

alan-
Where do you find thrift shops that specialize in marine gear?!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 13:00   #49

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Living the cold, wet and windy UK I usually wore a big offshore Musto jacket and trousers. But firstly I have found that it does not matter who makes the trousers they always leak after a season so I have been seeking a cheaper solution (currently Musto from a closing down sale). But I have been using the best outdoor lightweight jacket with a hood I can find (currently Breghaus). This is light, easy to slip on and off, can be worn as a casual jacket and is totally waterproof and breathable. For the feet my deckwear of choice is Crocs: warm in winter, cool in summer, dry rapidly and as an added bonus, hygienic in the communal showers. My very expensive Musto boots rarely get an outing.

But do keep a good set of hats: for sunny days the Tilly, for cold days a fleecy and for wet cool days a traditional French fisherman’s cap.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 13:42   #50

Hi, I would like to get your list for weather gear selection
frankfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 14:28   #51

It used to be that if you bought quality foul weather gear it would last a very long time. Case in point: my Henri Lloyd (HL) ocean series bibs from around 1987 still keep me so very dry and have required just one small repair; if only the HL jacket would still fit.

I've tried lesser quality jackets for the last 10-12 years and found their durability/dryness short-lived. Last June I was mostly standing upright and wearing a lesser jacket while helping a friend launch his boat in a hard rain; even tho it had an internal harness, high felt collar, double stitching, etc my t-shirt was soaked underneath. When I reached for a tissue in a pocket it came out a soggy mess.

When I returned to my local used boat parts vendor 6 weeks ago, I spotted a Henri Lloyd CT 1000 jacket on the racks that fit with a bit of freedom. Who knows how long its previous owner wore it, but from several opportunities since then, I am once again keeping totally dry. In other words, find a brand you trust and save more than a few $$ if not-new doesn't bother you.
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 19:24   #52

Check out https://shop.grundens.com
I have the commercial fishing jacket and bibbs, absolutely bulletproof been using them for years and no sign of wear. They have some.good clearance sales throughout the year.
You may mot look as pretty at the yacht club but you'll appreciate them when the conditions get ugly.
Good luck
Ken Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 20:49   #53

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Hello, I need to get new foul weather gear.
I can't afford the stuff the VOR racers wear and frankly do not need that much protection.
I will mostly get rain and some spray. Not a whole wave.
I'm am looking in the mdi range products.
Helly Hansen, Must, Henry Lloyd, Gill, etc.
For exemple the Gill OS1 would be very nice but sooo expensive that the OS2 seems more reasonable.
Same for the Musto MPX Gore-Tex, or the Aegir line from HH. To expensive.

So any toughs on mid level foul weather gear?
I already have my boots, base layers, mid layers etc. I only need the outside shell.
Thanks
The fishermen use PVC. I tried that. Water got in. I froze. The new Grundens stuff is better.

After the PVC (Helly Hansen in the old days) I went for bargain table stuff, mix and match, used, whatever. It was OK for the day sail but on rough days I still came home wet and cold.

When we went offshore I went to West Marine. Their brand. I was in heaven. Warm, dry, fuzzy pockets, Velcro neck closures. Wow. It lasted pretty well. Maybe now I'd go to Amazon but get the mid level stuff, it'll probably be good for a few seasons.

But if you're planning to go offshore, maybe crew on the Sydney Hobart or something, kit your self out in top name ocean stuff, it doesn't matter what brand. Take out a loan if you have to.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 09:52   #54

Any set of foulies will work. The thing to watch , is the zippers. I bought a nice Gill jacket that was well thought except......a couple pockets had little metal zippers. Total **** after a season, especially after a bit of salt spray. I wil never buy a set of anything on a boat with metal zippers.
le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:04   #55

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Since I'm a sailing instructor and just found out that Helly Hansen sponsors us, I went for the HH Skagen Jacket and Aegir race salopette.
I have put more money on the pants because I am more likely to sit on wet surface.
So I went 1 step up for the pants and middle range for the jacket.
If I'm not happy with it I will return it and buy the Aegir Jacket.

Oh I also got the HH HP foil pants. They are great for day sailing. Fit great and look nice to.
You don't look like you are wearing a pair of rain pants at all.

Thanks all.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 23:18   #56

Boat: Freedom 38

Whatever you decide, try it on. I am so uncomfortable in certain styles that pinch my neck or have some Velcro in a really uncomfortable spot or use an inner liner that will drive you batty, which will make you regret whatever you spent. So zipper it all up in the store, walk around with the hood up and the sleeves cinched down. It'll look foolish but when conditions are horrendous is not the time to find out there's a small opening under the chin that allows salt spray water to leak straight down your chest.....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 04:24   #57

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
I find that the Gill OS1 and OS2 start leaking (fabric delamination) after 18-24 months of heavy use. I sail a lot, and use them a lot, worn maybe 80 days a year. Always fail after 2 years. Now I use Grundens for a water proof layer when it's raining or lots of spray, and save the Gill for fine weather when it's just damp or cool.

Like pretty much any breathable gear you need to wash and retreat them when they lose their water repellency.
Old 25-10-2018, 10:19   #58

Great timing on this thread!
Notus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 15:12   #59

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Hello, I need to get new foul weather gear.
I can't afford the stuff the VOR racers wear and frankly do not need that much protection.
I will mostly get rain and some spray. Not a whole wave.
I'm am looking in the mdi range products.
Helly Hansen, Must, Henry Lloyd, Gill, etc.
For exemple the Gill OS1 would be very nice but sooo expensive that the OS2 seems more reasonable.
Same for the Musto MPX Gore-Tex, or the Aegir line from HH. To expensive.

So any toughs on mid level foul weather gear?
I already have my boots, base layers, mid layers etc. I only need the outside shell.
Thanks
When I upgrade my Snow Ski Gear I move old stuff to the boat. I also purchased good foul weather gear from Goodwill.
Old 07-01-2019, 13:51   #60

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Update.
Here are my choices.
I managed to get incredible deals and went for the higher end stuff from Helly Hansen.
I can't say how I got those prices for HH. I have signed a non disclosure.
But I can tell what I got.
I found a Helly Hansen Aegir Race Jacket. That jacket is WAY overkill for what I need but I got it at such a low price it was cheaper then being the lower end HH jackets in the end. So Why not?
It fits great and right away you know it's built tuff and to last.
The fabric is and feels super resistant.
Zippers are first quality YKK.
Double adjustable cuffs, inner being soft polyurethane to seal out splashes.
The hood is almost like a helmet. All you need for total protection are nice goggles.

I have not found many reviews of the Aegir Race jacket on the net and those I found seem to feature the wrong product.
I might do my own review and post it on Youtube.
If I do I will post the link here.

The pants
I got the HP foil Salopettes.
I like salopettes because I race a lot. Great for splashes and sitting on a wet deck.
They are made of HellyTech Performance fabric with is one step under the Hellytech Professional of the Aegir, but i feel they will be up to the task.
Like I said the Aegir is way overkill.

So can't wait for summer to get here and start sailing in the wet.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather