Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54   #421
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Because his daughter is sick, his wife is (possibly) hysterical and the family doesn't need the stress of being separated with one parent dealing with two children and the other at sea with a less than perfectly functional boat?

I think it's just possible he's a little beat up, it would be a long trip home. On the other hand, the navy's there, everyone is safe now. I would be very interested in saving my investment. Unless your pretty well off you can't just go home and replace. To the average working guy it's another 10 years of work. He might regret getting off for a long long time.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:55   #422

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
We are relieved to hear Lyra is stable and getting good care and that the family has been transferred to the frigate safely. We are heartbroken by the news coverage and mean-spirited comments being made and wondered if someone who is in touch with Sariah could offer to get the admin info for their blog and do them the favour of deleting the crap and disabling future comments. I wouldn't imagine that is something they'll want to deal with. A small thing amongst the chaos. I am so angry this is happening to such wonderful people at such a difficult time and for what? Entertainment. Its sickening. Wishing Charlotte and Eric and the girls much love and strength.
My mom is part of the women who sail group, they are working on disabling the comments on Charlotte and Eric's blogs, but I don't know what kind of progress has been made.
Eric and Charlotte have a great community here and with the women's group Charlotte started. Plus her sister seems awesome too. Hopefully the love and support will eclipse the turds of ignorance
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56   #423

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
3)Our government will go to unusual and extraordinary lengths to ensure the safety of their citizens.
Isn't that true. We are so often down on all aspects of government, but to see what is being done for this child is incredible. I can't place a value on that or on knowing that if you were in danger and need of help, they'd make this kind of effort to help you. Just watching those rescued this year is a nice list, but following this story has to make you feel good. Yes, I know, I'm paying for it as are all of us. And I'm very glad to be doing so. I'd pay whatever I have to in order to see that child safe and well.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:58   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Three things I have learned from this thread;
1)Anything you put on the internet for all to see can be used against you.
2)Bringing children with you on open ocean crossings should be very carefully weighed.
3)Our government will go to unusual and extraordinary lengths to ensure the safety of their citizens.
4) Turn on comment moderation on your blog
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I think it's just possible he's a little beat up, it would be a long trip home. On the other hand, the navy's there, everyone is safe now. I would be very interested in saving my investment. Unless your pretty well off you can't just go home and replace. To the average working guy it's another 10 years of work. He might regret getting off for a long long time.
No, what he'd regret for the rest of his life is not going with his family. You speak as if it's all over. It's not. There's still reason for concern. Plus his wife and other daughter have to be suffering from the trauma of the situation. And, while he may be acting strong, I'm sure he's suffering too. The hurt he'd cause his wife and other daughter by not being with them is too great. You don't let someone go through the worst time of her life and the memory includes that rather than go with her, you went to save the boat. However logical that might seem to go, the emotions of that would be devastating.

All the material possessions in the world don't matter when those you love need you with them, and you need for your own well being to be with them.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
i have not seen any one state why he is not sailing it home? the sails are fine there pointing now and the steering works because they are pointing now. why is he leaving the boat and not getting it back to the coast any coast where some one can toe him in to a marina? I have read some extensive why not to abandon your boat threads on here...
AFAIC there are only two reliable sources of information: the Air National Guard and the family. According to the Air National Guard, the boat has no steering. They have consistently stated this in their press releases.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03   #427

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post

If it meant never sailing again, I'd step of the boat in a second to be with my family through the remainder of the crisis. No investment Is worth leaving my wife alone with two young children after such an ordeal. It's not OVER, just BETTER. Money just doesn't mean that much to many (most?) Of us.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No, what he'd regret for the rest of his life is not going with his family. You speak as if it's all over. It's not. There's still reason for concern. Plus his wife and other daughter have to be suffering from the trauma of the situation. And, while he may be acting strong, I'm sure he's suffering too. The hurt he'd cause his wife and other daughter by not being with them is too great. You don't let someone go through the worst time of her life and the memory includes that rather than go with her, you went to save the boat. However logical that might seem to go, the emotions of that would be devastating.

All the material possessions in the world don't matter when those you love need you with them, and you need for your own well being to be with them.
Wifey B: And just so you know he's not just theorizing, there was a time he did risk everything in his life to be with me. I can't even grasp the extreme emotions they are all going through right now. I've talked to a girl who when about four watched her sister die. I've met a woman whose life basically ended when her son almost died. She was terrified every day from then forward. I'm crying right now just thinking of what they are all going through.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07   #429
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Another is to moderate comments on your blog before they go public. My God the absolute nastiness and disgusting comments on their website right now. It makes me physically sick to see so many people be so nasty and hurtful.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
And yet these types of people are right here in this forum, in other forums and all over the internet. Some are even moderators. There are a large number of very, very unhappy people online (because they have nothing else to do?) who will attack anyone they see as having it easier than they do - anyone who is perceived to be more lucky, more intelligent or not suffering enough.

One little chink in the armor and they will attack you, find personal information from your Facebook or your published government records or any source possible just to discredit you or attack you.

It's just Rebel Heart's turn. The jerks are probably upset that he is living his dream. I notice that is when the jerks get the worst. When they see you achieve your dream. They will literally hunt you down to prevent any happiness.

But, the internet is a profile of real life. This is how people really think. In real life, they are too afraid to get beat up or shot, so they don't behave the same way as when they are hiding behind a computer. The only way to deal with them is to take away all ammo. Go 100% anonymous. Sad.

Edit: After just hearing it on the news again, I have to wonder why this is even on the mainstream news. It is a medical emergency on a boat. These things happen all the time (heart attacks or injuries more commonly) and people are air lifted out. I bet he has no idea what a sh%tstorm is surrounding a pretty routine situation he is trained for.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:08   #430
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

Do you think heading out and salvaging rebel heart is really risking their lives? She is not sinking, she has rudder issues, and a torn drifter. The engine may be out. She is still a sound vessel from what I can tell.
Good post, Erica. All good points.
I don't know the answer to any of them. Its up to Atol or other salvagers to decide. I dont even know if the boat is insured. If it is, some would say its prudent to sink it and claim.
Or Atol, might go out on a mercy mission and by the time he gets back the insurance claim may be the better option. I dont know. Lots of guess work.

Also I dont know the location, and I havent read all the posts. But its 900 miles towards Marquesas from Mexico so that is about 2,600 nms from Panama and 1300 from san Diego and multi week haul.

Then 1,400 to Marquesas or 2,000 to Hawaii or galapagos.

No one would want to take it back upwind, would they?

I looked at the options to salvage a Contest 50 mid atlantic, bbut thats a million dollar yacht and worth ten times my boat! (Anyone would get off a Beneteau 39 footer for it!) Unfortuanetly for that salvage the crew were not dead as I had thought, but were just sunbaking on deck. This weird story was truly weird. Lol

So after weighing up all the factors in the cold light of day, I wouldnt be leaping into it. But if its carefully considered and discussed with eric and then a decision could be made.

Might be better to fly to the Marshall Islands and wait for 12 months!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-04-2014, 12:15   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
And yet these types of people are right here in this forum, in other forums and all over the internet. Some are even moderators. There are a large number of very, very unhappy people online (because they have nothing else to do?) who will attack anyone they see as having it easier than they do - anyone who is perceived to be more lucky, more intelligent or not suffering enough.

One little chink in the armor and they will attack you, find personal information from your Facebook or your published government records or any source possible just to discredit you or attack you.

It's just Rebel Heart's turn. The jerks are probably upset that he is living his dream. I notice that is when the jerks get the worst. When they see you achieve your dream. They will literally hunt you down to prevent any happiness.

But, the internet is a profile of real life. This is how people really think. In real life, they are too afraid to get beat up or shot, so they don't behave the same way as when they are hiding behind a computer. The only way to deal with them is to take away all ammo. Go 100% anonymous. Sad.
It's one thing to legitimately question choices and decisions. But there's a time and place and this is neither. The issue of the day isn't what anyone should have or should not have done. It's just hoping all end up alive and well. There's never been a boat rescue where people couldn't have questions about what took place, but that's all for another time and another place. I'm sure right now, they are questioning themselves more than anyone else could. Wondering. Wishing. Thinking. It wouldn't matter how much you thought your choices were right, you'd sure be second guessing at this point. But then if your child falls in the yard and breaks their arm, don't you wonder how you could have prevented that? I'd be the obsessive father who every time their child coughed, I'd want to head to the doctor and I'd be scared.

There is too much hate. You can differ without it. You can use judgement on when and what to say. But right now there are four victims and you just hope the best for them.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18   #432

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post

AFAIC there are only two reliable sources of information: the Air National Guard and the family. According to the Air National Guard, the boat has no steering. They have consistently stated this in their press releases.
I disagree on both counts. Both your sources are non sailors working on limited information. The only people right now who have a clue about the boat are Eric and Charlotte.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Good post, Erica. All good points.
I don't know the answer to any of them. Its up to Atol or other salvagers to decide. I dont even know if the boat is insured. If it is, some would say its prudent to sink it and claim.
Or Atol, might go out on a mercy mission and by the time he gets back the insurance claim may be the better option. I dont know. Lots of guess work.

Also I dont know the location, and I havent read all the posts. But its 900 miles towards Marquesas from Mexico so that is about 2,600 nms from Panama and 1300 from san Diego and multi week haul.

Then 1,400 to Marquesas or 2,000 to Hawaii or galapagos.

No one would want to take it back upwind, would they?

I looked at the options to salvage a Contest 50 mid atlantic, bbut thats a million dollar yacht and worth ten times my boat! (Anyone would get off a Beneteau 39 footer for it!) Unfortuanetly for that salvage the crew were not dead as I had thought, but were just sunbaking on deck. This weird story was truly weird. Lol

So after weighing up all the factors in the cold light of day, I wouldnt be leaping into it. But if its carefully considered and discussed with eric and then a decision could be made.

Might be better to fly to the Marshall Islands and wait for 12 months!
I think you try to see and hope there are other vessels in the area or coming through. If you had to initiate a recovery/salvage from land at this time, the cost of it might exceed the value of the vessel. I'm sure those who are expert in salvage are trying right now to figure out if there's a reasonable solution. I think for now one tracks the vessel if possible. I don't know if it has AIS or anything to be tracked with. But even if not one can follow currents and winds. In some ways it's whether the good guys beat the bad guys to it.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19   #434
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

4 victims?

Oh good grief!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-04-2014, 12:20   #435

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
4 victims?

Oh good grief!
? Context? ?