Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52   #31

Re: First impression of Caribbean after arriving from the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard Tack View Post
We are presently on the Pacific Coast of Mexico and thinking about sailing to the Med next year.
Seems like some real wandering. Kudos!

What route do you plan to take to the Med from the Pac O? Thru the Panama?
Or, other??
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:02   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1944 View Post
Why leave the Med?

While each location has attributes, you appraise the Caribe so low, what did you want to accomplish with your post?

Will you go back to the Med, or over to Bristol?

It seems like you are enjoying life and seeing the best parts of the world. As a foodie, I would choose the Med, but in the Caribe the women are far more willing to share their beauty.

I'm just sayin'
Good day to you...We left the Med because we have seas to travel, we want to spend a couple of years in the Caribbean and then head back to our favorite cruising grounds, the South Pacific. Geeez I didn't think I said bad things about the Caribbean, remember these were just our first impressions but tell me which ones you don't agree with and we can talk about it. The post was meant as a general interest only. I'm not getting any younger so our itinerary suggests we have to make tracks while we can. We are really hyped about getting to know the Caribbean and look forward to meeting lots of people(we really missed that in the Med) With any luck we would like to return to Turkey which was our favorite spot for a variety of reasons but by land, not sea. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:33   #33

Your post was very interesting. You touched on points of concern and your intent was honorable, I enjoyed reading it.

Interesting that you didn't mention the native people.

I am not a fan of the South Pacific. The islanders are the finest people in the world, and have no conscience about possessions.

I worry abut Turkey, as that is as interesting to me as Tunisia; but the middle easterners scare me.

I have to admit my interest is vicarious at this point for I'm living the horrible cliche "Can't get the boat until I sell my house." I been sailing since age 9 and I just turned 70. Living by the adage: You're young for a short time, but you can be immature for ever.

What's interesting in your follow up to which I am answering is that you don't mention the North East US and the Viking routes. Also, no one writes about Africa. Dark Africa, certainly Turkey and N. Africa are not ignored.

As for the adversities in your post, bugs and expensive necessities, and run-down environs seem less praiseworthy than appreciable, certainly your honesty is not being criticized, here. No need to go off and 'work out' any differences.

I have yet to see or read experiences on raising top sails. Oh, that's another subject
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58   #34
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
I have to admit my interest is vicarious at this point for I'm living the horrible cliche "Can't get the boat until I sell my house." I been sailing since age 9 and I just turned 70. Living by the adage: You're young for a short time, but you can be immature for ever.

I'm sure it doesn't apply to you but this paragraph reminded me of a poem that I really like.

A small boy heard the ocean roar,
There are secrets on my distant shore,
But beware my child, the ships bell’s wail,
Wait not too long to start to sail.

-
So quickly come and go the years,
And a young adult stands abeach with fears,
Come on, Come on the ocean cussed,
Time passes on. Oh sail you must.

-
Now its business in mid-aged prime,
And maybe tomorrow there will be time,
Now is too soon, its raining today,
Gone all gone-years are eaten away.

-
An old man looks, still feeling the lure,
Yet he’ll suffer the pain, than go for the cure,
The hair is white, the steps with care,
The tide has turned, he is aware.

-
So all too soon the secrets are buried,
Along with him and all regrets he carried,
And it’s not for the loss of secrets he cried,
But rather because he’d never tried.
It's time to sell the house IMO.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Nice roundoup!

THX.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Happy New Year my friend!
We decided on a Beta 50hp including tranny and upgraded panel. It was a toss up between that and a new Yanmar, I threw it on the board here and there were more votes for the Beta, that and the fact I personally like the engine made the decision easy.
From all reports I think you will like the Beta. I was very impressed with the Beta a friend installed in his Westsail 32. Very quiet and smooth but then I was comparing it to my 30 year old Westerbeke that sounds like a locomotive running through the boat. (Can't wait to see if my new sound insulation helps).

Is the Beta still all mechanical IE doesn't need electricity, electronic injection or computer modules to run?

Hope the installation goes well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:05   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It seems like you are enjoying life and seeing the best parts of the world. As a foodie, I would choose the Med, but in the Caribe the women are far more willing to share their beauty.
Obviously you have not been to the beaches around the Med in recent years.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:13   #38

Boat: Oyster

Robert which islands do you intend to visit and are you going to stay in the caribbean or returning to the med good winds.
terrysandling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19   #39

Hi Steve,
Too many detailed questions so let me deal with one, your concern about safety in Turkey.
Turkey is a very special place and if you want to see the very best Greek ruins most of them are in Turkey. Remember way back when Constantinople (Istanbul) was the main base of power for the Greeks and Alexander the Great controlled most of the worlds civilizations at that time. Turkey is a very interesting study for a middle east country. Back in the early 1900's Ataturk gave women the vote before many European countries. He also insisted that they get an equal education to men. He encouraged getting rid of head gear for both sexes and modeled his society after Europe. One wife only allowed. Praying was no longer allowed in public places, mosques only or at home and workers did not get time off for this activity. Turkey is sort of broken up with different groups, Western Turks, Eastern Turks and the Kurds. The Western Turkish people are generally very hard working and very friendly. These are the people you will meet if you sail Turkey. Kinda like Europeans in many ways but a different culture for sure. We loved these people and it is very very safe. Much safer than many places in the USA. My wife traveled all over the place at night alone and neither of us has even the slightest concern about it. It is also a wonderful place for children. We were there 8 months and traveled throughout the country. The Eastern areas are extremely religious and its considered in poor taste for women to smile outside their home so lots of dull people walking around but still very safe. I don't think there is a country on earth that has captured our imagination like Turkey did, I wish everyone could visit there but it takes a long holiday to even get a sense about this magical place. Many Europeans retire here in western Turkey.The downside is their new leader who wants to take his people back to the stone age. He and his Government control all religion in the country and the messages that go out to the masses... the budget for religion is way bigger than the entire education budget, go figure.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysandling View Post
Robert which islands do you intend to visit and are you going to stay in the caribbean or returning to the med good winds.
Hi There,
We want to see it all and have set aside 2 years. I know this is not a long time but its going to have to do as we have many more miles of sailing in our future. We will continue west to the South Pacific. R
Old 04-01-2015, 09:28   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
From all reports I think you will like the Beta. I was very impressed with the Beta a friend installed in his Westsail 32. Very quiet and smooth but then I was comparing it to my 30 year old Westerbeke that sounds like a locomotive running through the boat. (Can't wait to see if my new sound insulation helps).

Is the Beta still all mechanical IE doesn't need electricity, electronic injection or computer modules to run?

Hope the installation goes well.
Hi my Friend,
Thanks for the comments, I sure hope it turns out well as 20 large was a big Xmas present. It is all mechanical, no electronics. Cheers, R
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hi my Friend,
Thanks for the comments, I sure hope it turns out well as 20 large was a big Xmas present. It is all mechanical, no electronics. Cheers, R
Gee. All I got for Christmas was a new water hose and a pair of LED spreader lights.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38   #43

Boat: Gib sea 43

If you think food is expensive in St Martin, wait till you go to any of the other islands, stock up on beer in st martin it is 5ec a beer in most other islands.

The only thing that is cheap on most of the islands is rum, thats about it.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Gee. All I got for Christmas was a new water hose and a pair of LED spreader lights.
Better than a stocking full of reindeer poop!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54   #45

Yes! The house is for sale . . . the boat is marked, and following it like a stalking wolf.

Your poem is excellent.

Tags
Caribbean, rib