Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 09:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
first gig as a USCG captain

Got my first confirmed gig as a USCG captain.

Lawyer in town just bought a valiant 50 in bristol condition down at Dana Point in San Diego. He is going to hire me to take up to Anacortes, WA. He is going to leave it north for san juan cruising and exploring canada. He says the delivery is just part of what is going to hire me for.

I see some cruising up north in my future and a long term relationship in this one.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:13   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: first gig as a USCG captain

Well done and congratulations!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:19   #3

Boat: Sabre 42

Congrats! You never forget your first...
Old 27-04-2015, 05:31   #4

Care to share how you happened to land this gig?

I'm hoping to get my six-pack sometime in the next few years, and have started trying to work out how I might get some jobs. Like with so many things, it seems there's a bit of a Catch 22--you have to have experience to get a gig, but you have to land a few gigs to get experience.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

There would be two parts to this. "Networking" & "Time on the Water".

I have over 35 years of marine experience; junior sailing, college sailing, commercial fishing, sport fishing, dinghy racing, big boat racing, Race Management, sailing instruction, and of course deliveries and charters.

I know alot of people here in the PNW. As I have been achieving my captains license, I have noticed that every body and there brother has one but most don't do any thing with it. This is why I chose to take a different path. I have developed Go-Sail and now Coast Guard Captain (still under construction).

I landed this gig by just word of mouth, and then I closed the deal by selling myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Care to share how you happened to land this gig?

I'm hoping to get my six-pack sometime in the next few years, and have started trying to work out how I might get some jobs. Like with so many things, it seems there's a bit of a Catch 22--you have to have experience to get a gig, but you have to land a few gigs to get experience.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:24   #6

As with most things, it is advisable for you to cover your rear end. I am a USCG Master, ASA Instructor and have had many good and bad experiences delivering, chartering and teaching (sail and motor). Many owners feel as though they are taking all the risk sending some guy out with their boat. It is much the other way around. The captain has the bulk of the responsibility. Make sure your contract is well written.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:36   #7

Congratulations!

Welcome to B.C. Canada!
honzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:31   #8

I worked as 100Ton Master for 30 years/crew boats/utility-boats for about 15 mixed with pleasure boats when off.I found networking @ alining yourself with a repair yard/marina will get you a lot of work plus you will gain a reputation in the local communality .Good luck with your first delivery.
captrick2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:39   #9

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Here Here, AlwaysFORESAIL, Be sure you really want that CG Captains Ticket... Just remember that you will be under Admiralty Law, if and when you have an accident, you will share the financial responsibility with the other boater, and as a "CG Captain" you will be expected to know more than a Non-captain, and how to avoid the other vessel. So sometimes it is better to be a First Class Sailor.... and most people will still call you Capt. It is your choice.... Fair Winds and Calm Seas...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:32   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post

Lawyer in town just bought a valiant 50 in bristol condition down at Dana Point in San Diego. He is going to hire me to take up to Anacortes, WA. He is going to leave it north for san juan cruising and exploring canada. He says the delivery is just part of what is going to hire me for.

I see some cruising up north in my future and a long term relationship in this one.
Dana Point is not in San Diego. It's in LA, or Orange county depending on whether or not you prefer to conflate the two.

I wish I was going with you. I'm a Seattle boy and I've had enough of SoCal. Alas, 'tis not to be.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 17:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Got my first confirmed gig as a USCG captain.

Lawyer in town just bought a valiant 50 in bristol condition down at Dana Point in San Diego. He is going to hire me to take up to Anacortes,

Sounds like a great gig, so congrats!

To the other queries, most folks moving boats at our club use one of two clubmates for deliveries- they're well known at the club, well respected, and get much of their work that way. Word of mouth seems key for their success.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 07:22   #12

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Nice, and such a nice boat. As stated before, good insurance and contract will make this a fun time.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 07:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

Several people have mentioned a contract and insurance. In this case the insurance company is covering the boat, they have approved me as the delivery captain. Enlighten me on a contract ..... as a captain I am responsible for the boat and the people on board, there is no getting around that. That is what you sign up for when you get a captains license. I don't see what a contract will do in this case ......

I do contracts all the time as a project manager for eco-auger and don't see how a contract is going to help me in this case. BTW the owner is a partner in a law firm here in Portland ......... Also I am planing on making CoastGuardCaptian.com an LLC but probably not later this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
Nice, and such a nice boat. As stated before, good insurance and contract will make this a fun time.
Old 28-04-2015, 11:08   #14
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well you at least need a contract on the terms of payment and delivery etc, and also an owners authorisation form of sorts to sail the boat in his absence. Contract should state the owner is responsible for all fees and costs, repairs, damage to his and other boats, that he should have insurance etc. I would try find so me other companies sample contracts and edit to suit yourself. Add or delete any relevant or irrelevant info. I wouldn't recommend having a lawyer write one up, but some would...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

First congratulations and good luck on the gig.

Little known fact, I’m told: A 25 or 50 ton MM Officer License entitles you go up to 100 tons under six-pack rules. That is six passengers only, no cargo or international voyages (so don’t stop at Victoria). This should allow you to do deliveries of larger boats than your license would otherwise allow in other commercial operations.

If you are Near Coastal limited watch your distance off shore. Some people like to go pretty far out going north along the US and Mexico west coasts to avoid the south bound currents and unfavorable winds.

If you have and “Ocean” rating then no worries. I understand the Coast Guard will no long give ocean ratings to licenses less than 200 tons.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain