Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 06:07   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Entering BVI w. USA state title

More green horn questions....

So I’m currently in the exumas and heading to the Virgin Islands. Does anyone have experience entering BVI with a US state titled boat?

Also when I applied for my state title the state kept (destroyed) my Notorised Bill of Sale, is this normal?

I’m currently trying to decide on the USVI or BVI or both, reading Noonsite they are both crime ridden... I survived Nassau...

I’m a bit green here but the the entrance formalities state “clearance from last port” I have never seen this from either the US or Bahamas...?

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 06:50   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Entering BVI w. USA state title

Believe me the BVI are happy to welcome US boats, do not try to make life difficult.

You'd need much more serious issues than that for BVI to turn you away.

That said, not true for all international destinations, so if you want to be able to "just keep going", document the boat.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 08:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Believe me the BVI are happy to welcome US boats, do not try to make life difficult.

You'd need much more serious issues than that for BVI to turn you away.

That said, not true for all international destinations, so if you want to be able to "just keep going", document the boat.
Thanks for the advice... also There is a long thread about me trying to document my boat, English owner, English boat both resident in the us... too difficult and expensive... I gave up but currently cruising with a Minnesota title. So its Turks and Caicos then Virgin Islands for me, then back to US before hurricane season...
Old 15-04-2019, 08:58   #4
cruiser

Plenty of UK and adjacent registries? IoM?
Old 15-04-2019, 09:03   #5

Maybe I’ll try the BVI...?
Old 15-04-2019, 10:04   #6

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

We've been to the Bahamas twice with zero issues and a Rhode Island State title.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 10:34   #7

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Steven,

Yes , indeed, sailing the BVI , don't miss it, the great sailing, short or long passages, your choice, great anchorages, moorings, beach side bars and restaurants,
snorkeling, and / or SCUBA, grand fun and Meeting local people as well as other cruising sailors and boaters.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have the normal proper paper work, you should not have any problem
clearing in.

FYI, many recommend originally clearing into the BVI at Great Harbor,
JOST VAN DYKE. Instead of more busy Road Town , Tortola.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Back to Scrub Island Resort, BVI, that looks really great and loads of
activities and good fun.

I was pre planning for Scrub Island Resort, BVI, Never have been there previously, and found something that might be of interest .

This is on their website and a requirement for Scrub Island, we never ran into this anyplace on any of our other several BVI sailing vacations. But we bare boat thru charter companies whose vessels are based in Tortola , BVI.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCRUB ISLAND RESORT has this info for their requiremrnt for renting a slip .

Vessels that are registered OUTSIDE of the BVI....to rent a slip at SCRUB RESORT

Owner or capt.

After CLEARING CUSTOMS at any port of entry.

* Proof of registration that displays " BVI Her Magesty.s Customs Logo "
* Vessel information
* Port of Entry ( any BVI port of entry )

Must stress for others, as well as yourself, we never had to produce any paper
work at any harbor or marina while sailing the BVI. We did carry our passports
on board as well as the paperwork entry info from Customs that we needed to
exit the BVI.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our clearing in or out , thru BVI Customs, either by boat, or at the Airport, the BVI Customs people who we delt with were friendly, easy, and life was good.

Enjoy your cruising life.

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 12:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

You can flag BVI (I think about $1,200 maybe less for a Brit) then deflag and switch to wherever, US state or some other place that will let a Brit flag or register a boat. As you know, US documentation is only available to US citizens (not green card holders) or legal entities owned and controlled by US citizens.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:28   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would expect a state to retain/destroy the original bill of sale, the same way they retain/destroy the "manufacturer's certificate of origin" on a car. Once this critical paper has been destroyed (or deadfiled) there's no way for someone else to use it, to obtain a second title for the vehicle. And once the state has issued a title--that's proof of ownership and nothing further should be needed.

"There is a long thread about me trying to document my boat, English owner, English boat both resident in the us... too difficult and expensive... "
Well...an alien trying to document a boat under a US flag would be a very short story, the answer has always been "apply for citizenship first." Or in simple terms, "No."
Whether you could UK-flag it...dunno.
Then again, you could always form a dummy corporation and commercially flag it in a state of convenience. Panama, Liberia, Langkawi...
As long as you are wearing "respectable" clothes and carrying money, the BVI will welcome you and your boat with open arms.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I would expect a state to retain/destroy the original bill of sale, the same way they retain/destroy the "manufacturer's certificate of origin" on a car. Once this critical paper has been destroyed (or deadfiled) there's no way for someone else to use it, to obtain a second title for the vehicle. And once the state has issued a title--that's proof of ownership and nothing further should be needed.

"There is a long thread about me trying to document my boat, English owner, English boat both resident in the us... too difficult and expensive... "
Well...an alien trying to document a boat under a US flag would be a very short story, the answer has always been "apply for citizenship first." Or in simple terms, "No."
Whether you could UK-flag it...dunno.
Then again, you could always form a dummy corporation and commercially flag it in a state of convenience. Panama, Liberia, Langkawi...
As long as you are wearing "respectable" clothes and carrying money, the BVI will welcome you and your boat with open arms.
Hello sailor ... just an FYI I was trying to get a uk registration but gave up, it was a bit of a cluster... thanks for the clarification on the proof of ownership that clears things up for me.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You can flag BVI (I think about $1,200 maybe less for a Brit) then deflag and switch to wherever, US state or some other place that will let a Brit flag or register a boat. As you know, US documentation is only available to US citizens (not green card holders) or legal entities owned and controlled by US citizens.
This is not true. Since anyone can owne property in the United States. An a TITTLE IS PROOF OF ONERSHIP.
lelolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:54   #12
cruiser

USCG documentation is not just a title, it is flagging as a US Vessel for international purposes.

Only for US citizens, or a company majority US owned, I'm sure can pay lawyers to do a dodgy.
Old 01-05-2019, 14:37   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim and I have never CG documented any of our boats. State registration has been accepted everywhere we've been.

The OP is right, you do not get departure papers from the US, but we do get them some places, although the exit stamp in your passport is the most common, recently. Mexico used to issue beautiful "zarpes", with stamps, crimping, and flowing signatures!

Ann

Tags
BVI