Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 09:42   #226

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

As commented above: PRICELESS!

In Praise of Idleness By Bertrand Russell

But I am not sure many people get the whole picture. Apparently most do not.

Someone said nations who trade freedom for security ...

b.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:42   #227
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210 View Post
Notice how they seamlessly refer to years of high temperature and drought in a specific localised region and then in the same breath name it climate change?
That "specific localised region" is the largest deciduous forest in the world. At one point it covered more acreage than the total land mass of Europe.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:42   #228

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
It's tough to sell a newspaper without some drama!
It is tough to sell newspapers without someone to buy them. This area represents more than half the population of the country.

I find it more ironic that a newspaper company wants to publish an article about 'lack of trees'.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:45   #229
CF Adviser

Quote:
It's tough to sell a newspaper without some drama!
The study didn't originate with a newspaper. Read it. The study originated with NASA, and is based on satellite imagery. The newspaper is merely reporting the story.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:49   #230

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I so want this thread to go away, I really do. Or at least reclassified as non-sailing off-topic garbage discussion. And I said so to the mods. But I guess the page-views for this train-wreck are too sweet, or something.
I love it.

Lots of sailors are scientists, engineers, deep-thinkers, etc. They are often independent thinkers with deep critical analysis skills. They are connected to the world in a way most people aren't.

The TV watchers just don't engage at this level. I don't think we could get this kind of conversation done over at "TheWB Forum"
Old 27-02-2013, 09:54   #231
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
I find it more ironic that a newspaper company wants to publish an article about 'lack of trees'.
USA TODAY Media Kit :: Press Room:: Professionsl Guidelines :: Green Statement
Old 27-02-2013, 09:57   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I don't think we could get this kind of conversation done over at "TheWB Forum"
Well, I'm not finding that " The world's climate scientists are wrong. Because I think so" to be particularly edifying conversation. Sailing is supposed to be my escape from this lunacy.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:02   #233

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, I'm not finding that " The world's climate scientists are wrong. Because I think so" to be particularly edifying conversation. Sailing is supposed to be my escape from this lunacy.
Lake-E, perhaps you would consider not reading and participating in this thread as you have repeatedly complained bitterly about the topic material and many of the posts. This is only one out of hundreds of threads you could be reading.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:03   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kache Walk View Post
It is interesting, isn't it? Do a search for recent research from a guy named Dan Kahan from Yale Law School. Also, there is some info here: www.culturalcognition.net - home
Thanks!

In reading.....a few things came to mind. Things like: inches, feet, miles, gallons...etc.

And the irony of a study that seems to want to show that it will be impossible to read in its own context.

Myself, I do find the phenomenon quite interesting indeed!
Old 27-02-2013, 10:05   #235

Kudos
Old 27-02-2013, 10:25   #236

Quote:
Lake-E, perhaps you would consider not reading and participating in this thread as you have repeatedly complained bitterly about the topic material and many of the posts. This is only one out of hundreds of threads you could be reading.
Maybe this conversation could be moved out of "General Sailing". Maybe people could pick a less important topic to have a wank and a chuckle about.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:32   #237

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
From this morning's edition of USA Today: NASA: Climate change thins forests in eastern U.S.
I'm not sure where to start the complaint - the garbage journalism, or the garbage science. Monitoring the coverage of the tree canopy from space only shows that that coverage is decreasing - it provides no proof of why it's decreasing. Warming would lead to a longer growing season and more CO2 in the atmosphere would help tree growth - for the same reason they pump CO2 into greenhouses. Have they ruled out the other reasons? - Deforestation due to population growth seems a likely suspect. How many trees were cut down to expand cropland for biofuel crops? How many trees were cut down to make room for windfarms? With a complete lack of any real data, the writer could have easily blamed the greenies for the thinning forests.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:32   #238

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Maybe this conversation could be moved out of "General Sailing". Maybe people could pick a less important topic to have a wank and a chuckle about.
Who is forcing you to click on the thread? I'm just sitting back eating matzobread and chuckling. Not exciting enough to choke the chicken over.
Old 27-02-2013, 11:05   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Who is forcing you to click on the thread?
Not who, but why:

Seriously, is there much less chuckle-worthy than killing ourselves (or our descendents, more likely) with our own greed and filth? Everyone's up in arms about leaving a government deficit, but ok about running through all the oil in 100 years or less. Really?

God, I hope there's an afterlife, and the climate change deniers have to watch their descendents cope with the outcome.
Old 27-02-2013, 11:06   #240
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I'm not sure where to start the complaint - the garbage journalism, or the garbage science. Monitoring the coverage of the tree canopy from space only shows that that coverage is decreasing - it provides no proof of why it's decreasing. Warming would lead to a longer growing season and more CO2 in the atmosphere would help tree growth - for the same reason they pump CO2 into greenhouses. Have they ruled out the other reasons? - Deforestation due to population growth seems a likely suspect. How many trees were cut down to expand cropland for biofuel crops? How many trees were cut down to make room for windfarms? With a complete lack of any real data, the writer could have easily blamed the greenies for the thinning forests.
It would be refreshing if you read the science first, before condemning it. The original paper can be accessed here: http://geo.arc.nasa.gov/sge/casa/Pot..._EasternUS.pdf

What you'll find, if you're capable of accessing the science, is that they built on a decade-long baseline of monthly satellite images from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectoradiometer (MODIS) Enhanced Vegetation Index. They were able to interpolate this information with everything from climatological indices to data on forest fires. They could easily discount other causes of deforestation within the data, although I must add that your question about how many trees were cut down to make room for windfarms is a completely specious argument, one not worth entertaining within the context of intelligent discussion.

Read the science. It won't hurt you.