Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 11:07   #241

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
God, I hope there's an afterlife, and the climate change deniers have to watch their descendents cope with the outcome.
Yes and we could stand on the mountain top and shame them...
Old 27-02-2013, 11:17   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Yes and we could stand on the mountain top and shame them...
I'd much rather try to change some minds now. But I am clearly not up to the job.
Old 27-02-2013, 11:57   #243

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No wonder 97% of all scientists say the same thing: they are all looking at the same data, they have received the same education, learning from from the same books. BTW 97% is not a scientifically valid hypothesis. PLS look up on Wiki and come back tell me what's wrong.

Now let's listen to what the remaining 3% say (if they have any opinion at all). Because THIS can be actually the important stuff.

Do you remember when Einstein published his work, 100 of most prominent scientists signed a letter claiming he was wrong. Einstein's response was 'one, if he is right, is enough'. Time told.

Statistical data used by people who do not know how statistics works can be really a horrible weapon.

Cheers,
barnie
Hear Hear!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27-02-2013, 12:00   #244

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
Wow, 155 posts and I still haven't found the answer I was looking for. Maybe I'll need every one of the 40 days forecast for this March to get it. I guess I didn't seek to stir up the global warming debate. In my opinion the weather is increasingly unsettled. While I seem to be able to trust the BOM site for letting me know the strength of approaching weather systems, the timing of them sometimes seems to be way off and more so than it has been in the past. I'm keen to know if this is an Australian phenomena or is weather becoming more unpredictable the world over?
Interesting as some of these posts are, is there anyone out there who just wants to answer my question?
I'll ask it a different way.

A few years ago in NSW Australia, summer meant warm or hot days where the sun shined. We would get occasional rain but you could usually count planning an outdoor event (sailing?) and you'd be unlucky if it was spoilt by rain. This hasn't been the case this summer or last summer. In fact in both summers we've experienced "extreme weather events" or natural disasters. I'm trying to determine if this is a localised phenomena or is it being repeated worldwide?
Old 27-02-2013, 12:07   #245

Boat: Norseman 447

If the world has had no statistically significant warming for approx 17yrs and we have achieved this by doing practically nothing, shouldn,t we just continue to do nothing.........
Old 27-02-2013, 12:08   #246

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I think I did in my first post.. But living in the arctic region has some differences compared to Oz.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:16   #247

Boat: Lagoon 440

Surprised carbonated drinks haven't gone the same route as Propellents/Refrigerants, must be different C02 or maybe Patents don't come into it this time?
Old 27-02-2013, 12:17   #248
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
I object to being classified as a resource.
Objection noted.

Now..........back to work.

Old 27-02-2013, 12:21   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think it's more about needing to have a purpose - and that probably hard wired from the time when surviving was a 24/7 thing.

and over time that need for a purpose got re-directed into work for the benefit of others (which became the few!).......and along the way just got re-labelled (and sold to the plebs) as neccessary using whatever message / propaganda / brain washing worked over time......otherwise a tough sell with only: "your purpose in working is simply to ensure that I don't have to" .

and just to clarify, I have not gone all Commie - just aware that whilst the "rich" do have a role in a society they are not needed nearly as much as they have convinced folks they are..........and in fact individually they need "us" more than we need "them".
I agree with much here. Wilson puts a bit of a different spin on it, but in the same general direction.

Just read another book. The Day Before Yesterday by Jared Diamond. He has a good explanation of why we need "rich people" - but his is more thinking chiefs. They tend to keep peace, and we are collectively willing to pay a high price to keep them around just for that purpose.

But that does not explain some of the other "rich" people, at leas on the surface.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:24   #250
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I so want this thread to go away, I really do. Or at least reclassified as non-sailing off-topic garbage discussion. And I said so to the mods. But I guess the page-views for this train-wreck are too sweet, or something.
Lake,

That is a BAD strategy. Take a break if you need to.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:28   #251
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
If the world has had no statistically significant warming for approx 17yrs and we have achieved this by doing practically nothing, shouldn,t we just continue to do nothing.........
If the world has had statistically significant warming for approx a century and we have achieved this by doing practically nothing, shouldn't,t we just continue to do nothing........

is there anything to suggest that the species of animal we call homo sapiens is in any way capable of influencing it's future development as a species?
Old 27-02-2013, 12:29   #252
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
I posted on this before, that was linked to a miss represented report from the Brit Met Office. The Met Office was miffed enough to release a statement debunking the report.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:29   #253

Boat: Lagoon 440

Honestly Greg we have had very dry seasons and that has bought the averages down, now we are getting wet seasons so the averages are up.

Overall it is average and averages is what all records are about. AVERAGES
Old 27-02-2013, 12:34   #254
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'd much rather try to change some minds now. But I am clearly not up to the job.
A few years ago I kinda tried really, really hard to make a difference. I had a pretty receptive audience. A bunch of well educated folks.

They were willing enough to stand around and cluck their tongues

Quote:
"Tisk, tisk, tisk, look at what they are doing. There is nothing I can do."
I burned through a few thousand dollars in my efforts, to no avail. It never amounted to anyone DOING anything. Nada.

ThUS I have become pretty certain that humanity is gonna run right off the cliff, just like Wiley Coyote.

Not because there is nothing we CAN do (which is looking increasingly true) but because there is nothing we WILL do.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:43   #255

Quote:
Because you're borderline hysterical and project a certainty of calamity which is a little off putting. We hear your dire warning of doom. Now, please describe for us how, if you had the power, the various constraints you would impose on our "western" lifestyle and freedom to consume. Place that in the context of what another poster described as the under consuming per capita in the poorer nations and his complaint of overpopulation in those regions. Be specific as how you would ensure compliance given the looming catastrophe.
Closed Thread