Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2014, 05:04   #736
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post

If I was a boat designer, I would take a standard modern monohull, remove the ballast and add a couple of pontoons! That would be a hell of a boat.
Do an internet search for 'trimaran'. You'd want to remove the keel, too. No need for that draft without the ballast.
Old 30-05-2014, 06:01   #737

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Do an internet search for 'trimaran'. You'd want to remove the keel, too. No need for that draft without the ballast.
I am fully aware of trimarans, thank you.

But most trimarans make the center hull so narrow that it greatly impacts living space (The Quoring Dragonflys, otherwise great boats, are an example of this). I would like the same concept on a more beamy hull, like a modern Beneteau. Have no idea how that would sail, but I would love to try it out.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 06:30   #738
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sorry Rohan, since the thread is entitled 'do multihullers ever go back', I took it that you were a monohuller who had become a multihuller for a period 'in your mind', but were now thinking of another monohull for your next boat. Anyway, Weavis is correct - monst multihuller don't dislike monohulls at all. I owned a series of monohullls and went to a cat for my current boat because it worked best for my wife and I and our intended use for the boat. Your needs/desires/priorities may vary.

Since you have been following this thread, you will no doubt have observed that there have been extremely few examples cited of people who have 'gone back' and that, of those, most if not all have been third-party examples - 'I have a friend who', or, 'I know someone who'. That may say something to you, or it may not.

Let me tell you what not only sold my wife and I on a cat, but what will likely keep us there.

1. Bright, airy, spacious interiors.
2. Lack of heeling. Yes, many new monos with wide beam and relatively flat underbodies aft have significant form stability and heel less than most monos in the past. Nevertheless, they still heel MUCH more than a cat. What does this mean in real life? More secure footing on deck and when below. Plates and glasses that stay on the dining table when underway. Much easier food prep when underway (no need for a gimballed stove or a wearing a harness to cook!). Much easier to pour and serve drinks when underway. Much easier to sleep when underway (no need for a lee cloth and double berths become usable and safe in virtually all conditions).
3. Shoal draft - Opens up more harbours, permits anchoring closer to shore, increases safety when entering some harbours.
4. Ability to dry out at low tide for inspection of the saildrives/rudders/keels if you have had an 'incident'; regular maintenance (bottom cleaning, anti-fouling, replacing anodes).
5. More headroom over the berths. Many monohulls have scant headroom over aft doubles as all, or part of the berth is often located under the cockpit. At boat shows on monohulls, my wife frequently says that she would feel claustrophobic in all but the forward island berths (which are, lets face it, far from ideal when underway).
6. Stability under anchor. No more rocking and rolling! And how much time do you spend under anchor when cruising?
7. More deck and lounging space. Really, there isn't anything better than sunning on the trampoline. What is more, if you have guests, you have the ability to be separated (cockpit and trampoline). Try lounging on the foredeck of most monohulls.
8. The ability to go below to the galley/nav station without actually 'going below'. No more need to struggle up a long, angled companionway ladder while holding drinks, tools, etc., etc.
9. Twin diesels. This not only provides redundancy, but makes docking and maneuvering incredibly easy. Of course, at very slow speeds you can mimic the control with a bow thruster on a mono.
10. Protection for the inflatable when on davits. The portion of the hulls that extend beyond the end of the bridedeck provide significant additional protection for the dinghy when underway and taking waves off a stern quarter.
11. Huge amounts of closet space. Yes, overloading a cat is unwise. However, clothing is relatively light and my wife truly appreciates not having to cut down her wardrobe excessively.
12. More space for solar panels in areas that will not be shaded. IMO, increased electrical capacity is a good thing.
13. Better access to the diesels for maintenance. No more squeezing around impossible spaces, or removing side panels to get at all of the diesel/saildrive.
14. Virtually no prospect of broaching. The beam and twin rudders aft mean that broaching is a near impossibility. This is important when sailing a trade wind route where sailing off the wind predominates.
15. The ability to fly a symmetrical spinnaker without a pole. Easy as can be to set, trim and gybe. Once again, very useful when cruising in trade wind routes.
16. Excellent performance off the wind. Ditto.

It may be that none of these will be priorites to you, but then again, some things to consider.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 06:31   #739
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
same concept on a more beamy hull, like a modern Beneteau. Have no idea how that would sail, but I would love to try it out.
There is a reason it hasn't been done. It would sail fairly ordinary.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 08:39   #740

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
There is a reason it hasn't been done. It would sail fairly ordinary.
Gag me with a spoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	391994_493295490681735_491470429_n.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	82107  
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 10:05   #741
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

tomfi, I suspect that there would be nothing 'ordinary' about the way that baby would sail!!!!!!!!
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 11:00   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Gag me with a spoon.
I think it's cool this guy put forth the effort to try something and even got some friends who are to proud of his effort to go with him.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 11:31   #743

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I dont think I would sail it out on the open ocean, Only my opinion, No facts behind it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 11:45   #744
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:

But most trimarans make the center hull so narrow that it greatly impacts living space (The Quoring Dragonflys, otherwise great boats, are an example of this). I would like the same concept on a more beamy hull, like a modern Beneteau. Have no idea how that would sail, but I would love to try it out.

You wrote "take a standard modern monohull" but then started talking about getting the beamy ones. Wasn't sure how much you know about it all. Define "standard modern monohull".
Old 30-05-2014, 11:58   #745
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Gag me with a spoon.
Yes, that would make me go back.
Old 30-05-2014, 12:03   #746
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Somehow I don't think you would like the living space in an Open 60 either, but that is a closer comparison.

Horses for courses, man. Like to like.
Old 30-05-2014, 13:11   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
11. Huge amounts of closet space. Yes, overloading a cat is unwise. However, clothing is relatively light and my wife truly appreciates not having to cut down her wardrobe excessively.
Thanks Southern Star. I entirely agree with your list except for #11 here. I don't think either have an advantage there, and it depends on the boat. The popular Lagoon 380, for example, does have large bow lockers, but is very short on actual closet space. Seawinds 1160 and Lipari 41 are pretty good though, but they seems to have the same amount of cabinet/closet space as 41-45 foot Beneteaus or Bavarias.

The first glance could be deceiving here though, because a lot of boats also have a ton of storage space under the bunks, while others fill that space with things like water tanks or batteries. No way to know but to check it yourself.
Old 30-05-2014, 13:18   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
You wrote "take a standard modern monohull" but then started talking about getting the beamy ones. Wasn't sure how much you know about it all. Define "standard modern monohull".
Going by Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, Bavarias, and Dufours, which are the top sailboat manufacturers (last I checked), "beaminess" seems to be the norm in a modern boat.
Old 30-05-2014, 13:23   #749
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Going by Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, Bavarias, and Dufours, which are the top sailboat manufacturers (last I checked), "beaminess" seems to be the norm in a modern boat.
and so do keelbolts
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 14:24   #750

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I have a cat because I like having women aboard.

All the women I know hate leaners.

Most cruisers as they get older would rather go with a small trawler than go back to a leaner.
I'm a woman. I like boats that heal. I have yet to see a multihull that I find attractive. I always thought we'd go to a small trawler when we traded our First--but I know I wouldn't have been happy spending money on fuel so we went to a larger mono. Never say never Cotemar!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull