Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 12:09   #721
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

BTW guys, the monkey is just winding you up.

Mark
To hell I am. I am serious. Quit marginizing and deflecting.

Main is just fine roach less batten less bikini style.

colemj, its time you graduate to the next step and learn to tack.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 16:25   #722

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Monkey, you were better off when we thought you were just kidding. Now we have to examine the content of your posts, looking for substance. And it is hard yakka to find any.

Jim
Old 29-05-2014, 16:27   #723
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Monkey, you were better off when we thought you were just kidding. Now we have to examine the content of your posts, looking for substance. And it is hard yakka to find any.

Jim
Did you not read the sign?

"Do not annoy the Monkey!"
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 16:53   #724

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Link to delivery of a leopard 44, 56 days SA to Sydney via southern Ocean.

Delivery Skipper's Report: Indian Ocean Crossing on a Leopard 44 | Leopard Catamarans US
Q: How did the boat handle?

A: The boat took the seas really well. With each approaching depression, we would get strong Northwesterlies: we would fall off with the wind and take the seas and winds on the quarter and go further South, until the wind would back round to the Southwest, and we would head back to North on the other tack, still keeping the weather on the quarter. This would allow the boat to run with only the genoa, which meant that the sail was easy and safe to reef, but allowed for good progress, none the less. The auto-pilot steered the boat with ease, and the helm was balanced. Even when the boat took occasional big beam seas, it felt stable.

Q: Did you have to make any repairs underway?

A: No repairs were needed underway. I climbed up the mast once while we were becalmed, to check the rig – forestay and cap-shrouds – and found everything to be as it should. We tightened up slightly on the cap shrouds. In very strong winds, we would tag down tightly the genoa with the lazy sheet on the weather amidships cleat, and tightened up on the topping lift and then main sheet (even without the main being hoisted) to give the rig additional “backstay” support, and we experienced NO breakage.

Q: What were the highest wind speeds and wave heights that you saw? What was the prevailing wind direction?

A: We had true wind speeds gusting into the lower 70s, but between 50-60 was frequent, from NW’lies to SW’lies, hence we would keep the weather on the quarter, and keep apparent wind speeds down. But usually the depressions would not last for more than 24 hours, so the seas would only pick up to 5-7 m, mostly a more or less comfortable, long period swell, which would push the boat along nicely, giving us some surf speeds up to 18 knots on the odd occasion. After the passing of a depression we would sometimes be becalmed slightly for a day or two, giving the sea a good chance to subside again.

Q: What kind of air temperatures did you experience?

A: About 12-17°C, high humidity and lots of rain.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 16:53   #725
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Do non-multihullers ever go back?

Nope. They become multimonkeyhullers!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:09   #726
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Do you need a Big Assy to own a cat? I missed that when I was catamaran shopping
You may not be aware but a big assy refers to an Asymmetric Multi Purpose Spinnaker. You don't need one to own a cat, but mad if you didn't have one, easy to use, and great for very broad reaching and DDW.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:21   #727
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You may not be aware but a big assy refers to an Asymmetric Multi Purpose Spinnaker. You don't need one to own a cat, but mad if you didn't have one, easy to use, and great for very broad reaching and DDW.
+A1... yer darn tootin...
Mono and Multi...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:25   #728

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
I have one, but have never heard it called a Big Assy. No worries, just a bit of entertainment
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:36   #729

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Wondering how you deal with having both a spinnaker and a screecher. I only have two head sail halyards on my Seawind one for the working jib and one for the screecher. If I want to fly my asymmetrical I have to lower the screecher and put the asymmetrical on that halyard. Since the screecher has an endless furling system and is super easy to use I simply don't fly the spinnaker.

Any hints or suggestions.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:37   #730
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Wondering how you deal with having both a spinnaker and a screecher. I only have two head sail halyards on my Seawind one for the working jib and one for the screecher. If I want to fly my asymmetrical I have to lower the screecher and put the asymmetrical on that halyard. Since the screecher has an endless furling system and is super easy to use I simply don't fly the spinnaker.

Be Brave and just do it! You know you want to ...
Old 29-05-2014, 17:48   #731

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I have one, but have never heard it called a Big Assy.
No, no - IT is not called a Big Assy. That is what the skipper is called when he wraps it on the headstay.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 18:07   #732
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

Same as you - just swap over, thought about putting another halyard in, but its okay 90% of the time, I have a permanent tack line off the end of the prodder for the MPS. So I dont have to disconnect anything on the prodder, just furl(sock) and drop MPS, lift Screecher and vice versa.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 19:52   #733

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I have one, but have never heard it called a Big Assy. No worries, just a bit of entertainment
Just a language issue. Any aussie understood.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 04:53   #734

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Rohan, you ask the question: "Does it count if you were only a multihuller in your own mind?" No. It means you haven't really experienced a multihull, let alone having cruised and lived on one over a wide range of conditions.

But no worries. I gather you are a life-long monohuller who, after comtemplating the issue, has decided to remain one. Good for you. I certainly won't suggest that you are wrong, or that a multihull would be better suited for your budget, taste and intended use.

But to answer the OP's question - no, you are not a multihuller who has decided to go back.

Brad

You have me pegged so very wrong, I am not a life-long monohuller. Actually, I've barely even been on a sailboat except in recent years.

I have chartered cats only because I was certain a cat is the best way to go. I am just starting to seriously question that original assumption, that's all. I may very well still buy a multihull when I finally make my decision.

If I was a boat designer, I would take a standard modern monohull, remove the ballast and add a couple of pontoons! That would be a hell of a boat.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 05:00   #735
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
You have me pegged so very wrong, I am not a life-long monohuller. Actually, I've barely even been on a sailboat except in recent years.

I have chartered cats only because I was certain a cat is the best way to go. I am just starting to seriously question that original assumption, that's all. I may very well still buy a multihull when I finally make my decision.

If I was a boat designer, I would take a standard modern monohull, remove the keel and add a couple of pontoons! That would be a hell of a boat.
Rohan Hi.
May I make a suggestion.

Just stand on a Monohull of your choice.
Then stand on a Multihull of your choice....

Go inside or below. Sit down. Look around.
Go lay on a berth.
Go use the galley.
Then come up. Sit At the helm postion. Look at the sail layout.

When you have done this a couple of times, and have been for a sail, make the choice based on the knowledge that you will be seeing the same view for a few years.
Contrary to popular opnion, MOST multihullers dont mind monohulls at all. They just dont want one to live on one. Its a preference thats all.
We will be interested in what you decide on and it is with no malice or prejudice. Your choice is your choice and we dont mind at all. You will still be a sailor.
Good luck.

Tags
hull, multihull