Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-01-2017, 22:19   #1

Do I Charter, Buy or Rent

A bit stuck on a decision for a few reasons and wanted some 3rd party input from people who have been through the decisions them selves. Bit about my sailing background. Taken Lido 14 classes (3 of them) and 30 foot keel boat classes with my local college, OCC. Recently completed my ASA 101 class and about to take my ASA 103 test after finishing the class. With plans to take a ASA 104/114 combo class next. Apart from some extra day day sails that about sums up my sailing history.

Looking to get out on the water more. And thinking of a few different ways to accomplish that.

1. Buy a cheap sailboat that's "turn key" from the 80's early 90's, 20-40K. And sail more. Thats a lot of money for me but i can afford it what i am not too found of is the slip cost in Orange County, CA. The ones i have been able to find are $6,000 a year for a 30 foot sailboat! Kills me to pay that much with such a cheap sailboat! Are there cheaper slips, or ways to store the sailboat when not in use? Plan to sail all year around.
Pro's
Sail when ever i want
all mine

Con's
Older, more things to fix
Cost is higher then 2no one gives loans for this price range(see 2 for why i am ok with loans)

2. (My Favorite) Buy a newer sailboat for 100K to 130ishK with a mortgage. Then place the sailboat in my clubs charter program. The cost breakout from others renting it seems to be i would break even (or close to it) after, waxing, bottom diver, slip, insurance, tax, mortgage. I would be out my down, which is fine as thats how much i would spend for option 1. The charting is not to make money just to help with the cost as i wont be sailing every weekday and weekend and have no issues letting others take it out because of how the club handles the charters. Dont mind the mortgage, and not going in over my head with it. I invest my money and normally beat interest rates so i don't mind taking a bank loan while i invest the rest and get a greater return.
Pro's
Get a nicer faster sailboat
Sail when i want and still pull in money to off set cost. Again plan is not to get rich just enjoy sailing for less then option 1!

Con's
May have to take another sailboat out if my chartered
More wear and tear!

3. Rent the clubs sailboats. Lots of restrictions, no night sailing, weekends have to rent all day, sailing in what i call fun weather restricted and a few others that reduce the joy of sailing. (these restrictions are part of the reason i am ok with my own sail boat in the charter)
Pro's
Lowest cost
Less responsibility then the above two
Pay, sail, forget

Con's
Restrictions
May not be able to sail when i want
Costs can be high for no wind days! When i rent i have to plan ahead and southern CA has a lot of very low wind days. Even if i am going in circles in the ocean, i want to go in fast circles! (like at least 2-3 knots...) This con is huge for me and makes me not want to sail as much knowing i could be out with no wind.

4?

Looking forward to your input!
mindwip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter