Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57   #16

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Angelique was the reason I fell in love with leaky teakies. A few years ago when she was for sale Jack, I dreamed of winning the lotto and calling you up to arrange a viewing.
I couldnt see why you would part with her but figured she would have a great home with me.

Ohhhh, great pix, now I need a drink. Too much excitement.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Go with two dinghies. You will NEED two dinghys in any case. If one wants to go ashore, the others are left stranded on the boat or ashore without two dinghies. Even with just the two of us, we had two dinghies and used both a lot. If you are going to power the second dinghy, it will provide a back up motor should the primary motor get cantankerous and it probably will.

Davits are fine for local cruising but I wouldn't carry a dinghy on davits on an ocean passage, even one of only a few hundred miles. Maybe if God guaranteed the weather forecast, I might reconsider. A dinghy filled with water will drag down the stern, tear itself apart, possibly rip out the davits and could leave gaping holes in the deck and/or result in a lost dinghy.

I wouldn't go for a large dinghy. One big enough for your normal crew as a primary dinghy will work fine. If you don't carry the dinghy in the davits all the time, you are going to have to get it on deck and stow it someplace. The smaller suitable size, the better for that. Also, dinghies are fair game for thieves and that's just not by the locals. An under 5hp outboard won't get you up on a plane but won't have much of a market for the local fisherman looking for a kicker, either.

We carried an inflatable that we intended to use with an engine and a hard dink that we rowed or sailed. I really don't like motoring so appreciated the sailing dink for exploring anchorages and marinas without the noisy, stinky outboard. As things worked out, we rowed the inflatable a lot because of a very unreliable outboard that I finally deep sixed out of frustration.

Check Craig's List in any major boating area. Dinghies and motors come up almost constantly. Some are great deals that have hardly been used at great savings. Others are suitable for a backup, some are just junk. You should be able to find one if you have a month or so to look. As others have said, stick with Hypalon. It resists UV degradation very well and will last for decades if cared for properly. PVC just doesn't hold up in the tropics or if left exposed to the sun a lot. It's false economizing as the money you save between PVC and Hypalon will be wasted on prematurely replacing a PVC Dinghy.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:51   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
of i can carry 4 on a 41, you can carry anything you want on a 51..LOL even 24' SLOOP. fully rigged..LOL....(i cheat--one of mine is roll up, one walker bay 8, one inflatable kayak and a rigid kayak.
friend with a leaky teaky went out with a dink on davits, came back without dink and davits were bent waaaay down,,,,,
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:14   #19

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35
Roverhi
Where do you find is a good place for the dinghy on you P35 without davits
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:10   #20

Angelique is still for sale : We haven't listed her for quite some time. I don't even have any active adds but come spring we will be listing her. New sails and all. I'm of the opinion that if you don't keep your boat up to snuff you cant expect to sell. I try to keep her in top form and I expect she will sell eventually. I have a year or two yet before I should get serious and I get even less serious as sailing season approaches.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:33   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The 8' Montgomery hard dink is stored inverted on the foredeck and the Avon Redcrest is in a bag on the cabin top aft of the mast. If I knew how to post pictures to the list could show you. The dink stowed there works out really well. It's something to lean against working the foredeck and I stand on it a lot working the mast end of the spinnaker pole.

Actually more room on the Pearson for a hard dink than on the Westsail. The inboard end of the bowsprit take up a lot of deck realestate, had to use a 6' pram. It was a 2 person max dink and didn't row all that well but it was the only dink I could find that would fit between the mast and the sprit. Interestingly enough, I found the dink in a trash bin. Somebody had either dropped it or jumped into it and busted about a 1' diameter hole in the bottom. A little glass cloth and resin and was watertight again.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:02   #22

Im using Photobucket to upload to and save my pic's its easy to post from them.

Copy and paste the image code and your done.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:49   #23

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Dingy??? You don't need no stinkin dingy!!! Captain Ron sailed a Formosa 51 and he didn't have no dingy!! Soooooooo, you don't need no stinkin dingy!! Go buy the DVD "Captain Ron" and see for yourself
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Dingy??? You don't need no stinkin dingy!!! Captain Ron sailed a Formosa 51 and he didn't have no dingy!! Soooooooo, you don't need no stinkin dingy!! Go buy the DVD "Captain Ron" and see for yourself

captain ron was the unofficial formosa owners sailing manual and owners guide for fomeosa 51........rofl....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24   #25

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
captain ron was the unofficial formosa owners sailing manual and owners guide for fomeosa 51........rofl....
Correct-a-mundo.....Zee....how very right you are. Don't even think about owning or sailing one, if you can't do it the "Captain Ron Way"!!
Let's lynch up the dingy doer!!!
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 15:18   #26

Boat: Formosa 56; "Wandering Rose II"; Tanzer, 7.5, 26, Wandering Rose
Re: Formosa 56

Greetings,
I am new to this forum. Does anyone know if there is a forum for owners of Formosa 56's? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Captaintr2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 19:35   #27

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintr2009 View Post
Greetings,
I am new to this forum. Does anyone know if there is a forum for owners of Formosa 56's? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Welcome aboard. That's a lot of boat you've got there.
I've just been reading a book, more a collection of editorials written by Bob Bitchin, founder of Lattitudes and Attitudes mag.
He had a Formosa 56, the Lost Soul, that he lived on for many years and seems to have explored most of the planet!

If you go to www.force50.org you'll find a bunch of very knowledgable and helpful Formosa 51 and Force 50 owners, as well as owners of some of the other china clippers. Much of the information there would apply to the 56 too, and that would be the best place to find out if there is a 56 owners association.

Jack Tar who has posted on this thread is a charter member and a mine of information.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 14:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintr2009 View Post
Greetings,

Here ya go. read the links.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...any-53260.html

Tags
dinghy, formosa