Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 14:49   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Re: Crossing to Bahamas in an East Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseHammer View Post
I'm sorry to go a bit off topic here :face palm:

I'm am planning on sailing from Coconut grove to Bimini and then on to The Bahamas, do i look at paying 300 in Bahamas, plus what i have to pay at Bimini? there is some great snorkling I would love to do around Bimini, but would i have to check in for that, or can I wait until i reach The Bahamas?
Bimini is the Bahamas. Check in and pay at Bimini, then you're good anywhere in the Bahamas.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 19:17   #32
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

You won't be alone. A couple of Brunswick Landing Marina refugees crossing tomorrow from Lake Worth. M/V Ivanhoe and M/V Bel Aire. Nice folks. You kids have fun.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:34   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
East wind is practically ideal. Going close-hauled, pointing SE at 5-6 kts, against a 3 kt Nly gulf stream = beeline for Providence Ch, albeit at a leisurely 3ish kts. Bimini is a bit uphill; I'd opt for Great Harbour or Lucaya.
Anyone who needs to go faster should buy a motor boat.
I probably didn't make my plan very clear. When I was speaking of "close-hauled" out of Lauderdale in the east wind, I was thinking of a starboard tack with the gulfstream headed for West End or Indian Cay. I rarely choose heading close-hauled into the current. I'm way too lazy for that!
Old 01-02-2017, 17:59   #34

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I probably didn't make my plan very clear. When I was speaking of "close-hauled" out of Lauderdale in the east wind, I was thinking of a starboard tack with the gulfstream headed for West End or Indian Cay. I rarely choose heading close-hauled into the current. I'm way too lazy for that!
There's no way I could point high enough not to miss West End by miles if I tried that

Have done is my way, and was a very enjoyable ride... up until the thunderstorms started (50/50 accuracy on the forecasts)
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
At 6'4" draft I'm staying away from that Indian Cay channel!
How far north of Indian Cay channel do you go to get on the bank without any problem or playing the tides . I have 6'6" draft

Best Regards !
Fast Tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:15   #36

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Tack View Post
How far north of Indian Cay channel do you go to get on the bank without any problem or playing the tides . I have 6'6" draft

Best Regards !
Memory Rock will work
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:42   #37

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

or better yet a few miles north of Memory Rock. I go due east from Stuart or Ft. Pierce, then it's all clear to Sail Cay.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We should have stayed in Vero with you.

People keep posting and talking about stopping along the way before checking in. Isn't that way to get in trouble?
You can transit Bahamas and as long as you don't touch land and have Q flag up no problem. Many folks bypass west end and check in at Spanish/Green Turtle/Marsh for Abaco. Makes sense as angle Lake Worth/West End means you will fight GS, whereas LW to WP further north a much better angle.

Similar S xing, bypass Bimini and proceed direct to Great Harbour, Andros, Nassau is all viable and legal.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:01   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Crossing to Bahamas in an East Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
You can transit Bahamas and as long as you don't touch land and have Q flag up no problem. Many folks bypass west end and check in at Spanish/Green Turtle/Marsh for Abaco. Makes sense as angle Lake Worth/West End means you will fight GS, whereas LW to WP further north a much better angle.

Similar S xing, bypass Bimini and proceed direct to Great Harbour, Andros, Nassau is all viable and legal.

I don't think that is actually technically correct, I believe you must check in at the closet point.
However I have only checked in by flying myself, you are supposed to not leave your airplane, not even supposed to put your foot down and wait for Customs.
However in the Bahamas, you are expected to get out, stretch, go to the bathroom etc and so long as you eventually make it over to Customs it's all good, they are very, very laid back. Now don't blow them off as they can make life difficult, but from my experience they are way more friendly than officious. I have found that if you smile, say thank you, and call them Sir or Mam, they are very easy to work with. Seems they have a tendency to employ common sense.
A contrast to what you may deal with when you come back from our CBP.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think that is actually technically correct, I believe you must check in at the closet point.
However I have only checked in by flying myself, you are supposed to not leave your airplane, not even supposed to put your foot down and wait for Customs.
However in the Bahamas, you are expected to get out, stretch, go to the bathroom etc and so long as you eventually make it over to Customs it's all good, they are very, very laid back. Now don't blow them off as they can make life difficult, but from my experience they are way more friendly than officious. I have found that if you smile, say thank you, and call them Sir or Mam, they are very easy to work with. Seems they have a tendency to employ common sense.
A contrast to what you may deal with when you come back from our CBP.
Here is a quote
"The Bahamas can be transited without clearing in until arrival at a Port of Entry at a convenient time, but during transit do not enter a port or go ashore."

Bahamas is an island nation, 100s of boats and ships transit daily, some stopping in Bahamas, some not. As long as you don't go ashore your good. Many do extended passages and clear in at Nassau/Marsh.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58   #41

From the horse's mouth - it's nearest port of entry: Entering/Exiting Policies | The Official Site of The Bahamas

Ports of entry: Official Ports of Entry | The Official Site of The Bahamas
Old 05-02-2017, 10:14   #42

It's been a while, but last time I crossed the GS and headed right for the banks and didn't check in until thru the pass and arrived Chub Cay. Anchored in the dark and checked in next am. Maybe things have changed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:36   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I have searched the real govt site bahamas.gov.bs, and can't find this stipulation.
Which horse did you listen too? Bahamas.com is not a govt website, but a contractor. There are errors in it, number of places on various topics.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37   #44

As with many things in the Bahamas, there is a lot of ambiguity and not a lot of consistency. But they do like their bureaucracy. I believe when they say "nearest port of entry" they mean "nearest to your intended destination." It otherwise makes no sense to have a POE in Nassau, when it is impossible to get there without passing another POE first. The site I posted was from tourism after all - if you go to the .gov site the only real stipulation they have for arriving vessels is to have the paperwork filled out and fees paid within 24 hours of entering Bahamian waters. I would be wary of anchoring prior to checking in, as it is not a foregone conclusion that anchoring is considered to be in keeping with innocent passage.

Add link: http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/portal...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Old 05-02-2017, 17:22   #45

By coincidence, I was just watching an episode of Border Security (a Canadian reality show that's like Cops, but with border agents) and they showed them dropping the hammer on some poor boater who came back from the San Juans, went to a mooring buoy in Bedwell Harbour and apparently had breakfast for an hour, before proceeding to the Customs dock. They seized his vessel, and levied a $1000 fine for not reporting directly to customs on arrival (a "conveyance infraction"). Of course that's not The Bahamas, but it's still not a good idea to mess around with Customs in any country.

Tags
Bahamas, wind