Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 07:54   #61

Boat: magna 43
Re: Crossing to Bahamas in an East Wind

I've crossed dozens of times and several have been smooth as glass only a couple rough as a cob. Just watch the weather July in south Florida can start out nice and end not nice . Enjoy the ride
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:18   #62
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. We've heard rumors that a crossing can be glassy and calm, but i think they are just rumors. Haven't seen it yet!
It is rare, but it happens.
Seen it 4-5 times in 18 years of sailing around here.

Before you even leave the dock and if connected, go to one of the numerous beach web cams and see the actual conditions as in waves rolling in and white caps, or not.
Sometimes it can be smoother in Gulf Stream, other times worse.
Cut the waves 30 degrees to the South if crossing in an East wind.
You need to make South anyways, usually a 30-40 degree crab because of the North stream. (Only talking about Fort Lauderdale or Miami to Bimini)
Old 08-02-2017, 13:05   #63

Boat: Cherubini 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
In the Bahamas one has 24 hrs before mandatory check-in.
For some reason I thought most countries were the same. guess not
We are all 'seven blind men and the elephant' and I can only relate what I witnessed myself at Bimini last summer.

In the Bahamas only the captain is allowed to leave the boat to clear customs. All others are supposed to wait on the boat for the return of the captain. This does not seem to be vigorously enforced, but...

I landed at Brown's and my GF and her kids (11 year old twins) went with me to clear customs at Big Game Club. It was late afternoon and it was hot. We cleaned up and put on nice shirts and walked in. I sat down and respectfully waited for the woman at customs to look up from her desk. I preemptively explained that I knew the rule was 'captain only' but that the kids were entering a foreign country by boat for the first time and wanted to see the process. The woman could not have been nicer, and everything proceeded beautifully.

A couple of minutes later the owner of a large tournament boat barged in and when asked if he was the captain, he (sneered is the only accurate description of his attitude) at the woman that he was the OWNER of the boat. He could not keep to himself his annoyance at the whole process. The same woman that was so delightfully attending to us became very, very officious and schooled him on fine details of Bahamian customs procedures.

He initially got all irked and started on about how much money boaters spend. Why on earth he thought that would motivate a salaried, uniformed, civil servant with a pretty good desk job and a COLLEGE DIPLOMA prominently displayed on the wall above her desk is anybody's guess.

The net was he was delayed and paid a small fine and I heard him later crabbing about 'petty corruption, third world inefficiency, etc.'

Suffice it to say that the two of us have remarkably different experiences in the same office at the same time from the same officer. I think I can identify the variable here. In the meantime, I really look forward to my next trip to Bimini.
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:56   #64

Boat: magna 43

Bimini the captain is supposed to walk to immigration and customs all others stay on the boat take everyone's paper work If you are going to end up too far north start further south DONT FIGHT THE STREAM
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Well here in West End while I was checking in one of the people asked if he could get someone from the boat to help out the paperwork and the official said yes. Seems there were people wandering around all over that hadn't even checked in yet. But for some reason I couldn't get fuel till I had cleared customs, so go figure.

BTW - I'm the only one who put long pants and nicer shirt on so that part isn't exactly normal either.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:55   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - I'm the only one who put long pants and nicer shirt on so that part isn't exactly normal either.
Your the only one who did it right, and it will matter some day when you have done some minor offense as they will laugh it off and tell you to be more careful next time, and sometimes you'll notice they will tell you some info that will save you time and money, but watch, they didn't tell everyone.

I cleared into I think it was Guatemala, I was bringing in a new aircraft and was told to go over to the Aero club. Got out was real nice with the Customs guys and left to go to the Motel, left to leave at the airport next day and it was there I discovered I had no stamp in my Passport
I was real respectful and explained, they laughed and said to go on. I can assure you that if I had been the Ugly American, it would not have happened that way.
The major thing it seems that minor Government officials want is a little respect, usually if you give them that, they will be very nice back
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:02   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well here in West End while I was checking in one of the people asked if he could get someone from the boat to help out the paperwork and the official said yes. Seems there were people wandering around all over that hadn't even checked in yet. But for some reason I couldn't get fuel till I had cleared customs, so go figure.

I think the situation at West End is not completely representative of all customs offices in the Bahamas. They seem to have a constant parade of sport fishermen in and out and I think have gotten accustomed to casual dress. They also seemed much more tolerant of playing loose with the rules. When we got in after hours we strictly respected the rule of stay on the boat until we cleared the next am. Crew on the two boats next to us, who apparently visit there often, said not to worry, no one cared and all went down to the bar.

At the end of the day I agree with A64. Follow the rules, be polite, show respect and if there is a problem you will have a better chance of avoiding a bigger hassle.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, wind