Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2017, 22:15   #1

Crew with a mental block

I hate running engines unless absolutely necessary. I could go for weeks without starting one, unless I needed to drive the sewing machine for sail repairs. Thus I chose a gas fridge. A 20Lb bottle of gas would drive it for over a month, so with 3 bottles, one for cooking, I could go over 2 months between wanting to find somewhere I could get gas. These are often far apart in the islands.

Gas fridges need to sit upright to work, so I installed mine near the stove for easy gas access, & gimballed to keep it level. By accident I had installed a lovely gimballed table/work bench by the stove. It was so useful I built a heat resistant fiddled top for it.

I had been cruising many years before I met my lady. She joined me on the boat, & quickly became an extremely competent sailor. However there was one minor chore she never mastered, making coffee.

Now I had chosen a top opening fridge, as the most efficient, & with its gimballed top was the best place to make coffee, but you had to remember to get the milk out first. In 6 years, & many thousands of miles, I doubt she got this right more than a couple of dozen times. She had some kind of mental block about that fridge top.

I had to be so careful not to laugh, or even smile, when she was handing me a couple of mugs of coffee to hold, as she got the milk out. Even today, 30+ years later, I would be unwise to mention it.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, men