Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 05:19   #61

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft
Re: Cheap slip/dock in the Caribbean

Been up and down the Caribbean,s for the last 20 years. RioDulce is by far the safest and most affordable. Hurricane free, except for last year LOL. but no wind, just major floods. Also a great place to get work done on boats with 3 ship yards, and lots of marina to choose from that goes from just a dock to full service with swimming pool, WI-FI power, water, restaurants etc....
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:22   #62

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggerman View Post
Been up and down the Caribbean,s for the last 20 years. RioDulce is by far the safest and most affordable. Hurricane free, except for last year LOL. but no wind, just major floods. Also a great place to get work done on boats with 3 ship yards, and lots of marina to choose from that goes from just a dock to full service with swimming pool, WI-FI power, water, restaurants etc....
Ha! "Except for last year"
This last storm season sounded like an absolute miserable time to be stuck in Rio Dulce (and some of our friends were just that... stuck (because other nearby countries were denying entry due to covid).

Sadly, while Rio Dulce (may be) the safest and most affordable, it's also the least "Caribbean". We were planning on heading that way for the pending storm season, but the idea of being trapped in a marina, no clear water and reef off the back of the boat and now the very fresh reminder of the very real chance of more flooding etc - we've opted out.

Sometime's cheap isn't cheap enough... and certainly shouldn't be the only factor to consider when making cruising plans.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:48   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
This last storm season sounded like an absolute miserable time to be stuck in Rio Dulce (and some of our friends were just that... stuck (because other nearby countries were denying entry due to covid).

Sadly, while Rio Dulce (may be) the safest and most affordable, it's also the least "Caribbean". We were planning on heading that way for the pending storm season, but the idea of being trapped in a marina, no clear water and reef off the back of the boat and now the very fresh reminder of the very real chance of more flooding etc - we've opted out.

Sometime's cheap isn't cheap enough... and certainly shouldn't be the only factor to consider when making cruising plans.
Being in Guatemala and the covid thing had nothing to do with each others. had you been any where in the Caribbean's, you would have been in the same situation. As for water, once you are pass the Fronteras bridge the water is great. Many people left Guatemala to go to the Bay Islands since November of this year. Some information you have is not accurate and misleading.
Old 31-05-2021, 17:27   #64

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Being in Guatemala and the covid thing had nothing to do with each others. had you been any where in the Caribbean's, you would have been in the same situation. As for water, once you are pass the Fronteras bridge the water is great. Many people left Guatemala to go to the Bay Islands since November of this year. Some information you have is not accurate and misleading.
Actually... we have been in the Caribbean since before, the entire time during, and now (hopefully) “after” covid.

I assume your post means you spent last storm season in Rio during the combo of Covid and the storms/flooding? If so I’m sorry.

While cruising during Covid has been “difficult” to say the very least, I’ve only heard from other cruisers who also remained here of two locations that sounded truly horrible during the pandemic and it was one of them (the other being locked/trapped inside the lagoon on St Martin).
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 19:04   #65

Quote:
Actually... we have been in the Caribbean since before, the entire time during, and now (hopefully) “after” covid.

I assume your post means you spent last storm season in Rio during the combo of Covid and the storms/flooding? If so I’m sorry.

While cruising during Covid has been “difficult” to say the very least, I’ve only heard from other cruisers who also remained here of two locations that sounded truly horrible during the pandemic and it was one of them (the other being locked/trapped inside the lagoon on St Martin).
Yes I was there during the flooding and the covid. Boaters had no problem with the flooding, The lake rose 7 ft, but a boat should be floating. The locals on the other end had it rough, but life kept on. People rebuild, persevere and eventually life get to some sense of normalcy.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39   #66

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

Keep in mind that the Rio was indeed still hurricane free last year...no hurricane actually entered the Rio, it just got the effect of related weather, mostly rain. The Rio reached the highest levels Ive seen in 15 years. No problem at my place, but those living in low lands got flooded.

The unusual weather events of last year effected all of Central America... there was even catastrophic flooding in Panama like no one had ever seen before.

Exceptional weather events aside, you are not stuck in a marina on the Rio unless you choose to be. There are many places to explore by boat on the Rio and Guatemala is an absolutely amazing country. Sadly, some cruisers do just park on the Rio and never explore this amazing country.

Ive been in Guatemala City for a few days and am heading to the Rio today! [emoji3060]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:46   #67

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Yes I was there during the flooding and the covid. Boaters had no problem with the flooding, The lake rose 7 ft, but a boat should be floating. The locals on the other end had it rough, but life kept on. People rebuild, persevere and eventually life get to some sense of normalcy.
One factor that makes flooding less than catastrophic on the Rio is the amazing capacity of the related wet lands to accomodate the extra water. The water level does rise, but there is effectively no current, so the catastrophic damage that raging water can cause doesnt happen.

Those living in low lands did get temporarily displaced during the high water, but their homes were still there to return to. A friend of mine relocated to my place for a few days (which is on very high land).

By contrast, there was full on raging water flood in the highlands of Panama, and many other places, that did cause wide spread catastrophic damage and lose of life.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:54   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Trinidad in COVID has been difficult to impossible but they did offer an onerous means to enter a while back. Thieve are still no commercial flights out the last I heard. We were on the hard in Chaguaramos for three hurricane seasons. We stayed at Power Boat but Peaks is next door. There is a lot to do in Trinidad. My day always started with a bike ride to the Bamboo Cathedrel National Park. OCC port captain is Jesse James. He operates small bus tours and shopping trips into town. jessejamesmembersonly@yahoo.com Jesse will be happy to help any cruiser even if you are not OCC. There are remote anchorages in several locations.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cheap, dock, rib