Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 10:20   #31

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Cheap slip/dock in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiche View Post
While appreciating your reply I don't consider 1k/month cheap, not even affordable.
True, demand and supply are basic regulating factors in market economy but there are things I'd simply not do and reject by principle. By the way, I forgot to mention that I want to put my girl on the hard when not around. That be at least 6 month per year if not longer. The remaining time I could easily get by with a mooring buoy and going ashore with a canoe or dinghy.

You asked for real prices, and based upon the last two years we spent hopping between most every island in the Caribbean...that's what you're getting - the truth about what it costs to pull into a marina here.

If you don't like the answers you're getting, maybe (rather than getting upset at those trying to help answer your question) hop on google or pickup a phone and call the marinas and try to talk them into a better deal.
My guess is you'd have better luck showing up in person, but don't know your situation and whether that's feasible.

Maybe Im just stating what should be obvious, but have you considered simply dropping an anchor? Since you're looking for "cheap" options (which is pretty rare in the Caribbean) why not choose the free option like most of us do??

If you average out the whole year and you spent 1/2 the year on the (hook for free) and 1/2 the year on the hard (for cheap-er)... my guess is the annual cost will be more to your liking.

Of course there's the other option - of picking a cheaper destination, or cheaper method of travel.

Best of luck in your search!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:11   #32

I'm not shopping for dockage in the Caribbean, but I'm curious.

How much has Covid driven up pricing?

Some marinas are simply shut down now, due to Covid?

Apparently some of you guys are still island hopping? I thought that many/most islands were being very restrictive on access due to Covid?

My boat is 50 miles from Canada and I can't go there. I even have Canadian blood, but they don't care. :-)
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:28   #33

Boat: Beneteau 411

Your original question asked about a marina, but a subsequent message also included mooring. I've heard that a mooring in Luperon, DR, is $60 per MONTH. (Reference: YouTube "Emily & Clark's Adventure", monthly budget reports)
WE9V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 13:27   #34

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
I'm not shopping for dockage in the Caribbean, but I'm curious.

How much has Covid driven up pricing?

Some marinas are simply shut down now, due to Covid?

Apparently some of you guys are still island hopping? I thought that many/most islands were being very restrictive on access due to Covid?

My boat is 50 miles from Canada and I can't go there. I even have Canadian blood, but they don't care. :-)

Covid has certainly made things "interesting" but most marinas are still open and many actually dropped prices just to try and attract whatever boat were there (even when it was only to locals and/or cruisers stuck in the country during the pandemic) and most countries have still allowed movement/entry at some points during the pandemic assuming boaters were willing to undergo proper testing and/or quarantine protocols.

Some islands did indeed shut down entirely for a while (and some have shut down and reopened a few times throughout the process)... so the idea of quick day sails between most Caribbean islands hasn't been possible, but remaining in the Caribbean has (again, assuming you're willing to undergo the testing and/or extensive quarantine protocols required by each island).
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:45   #35

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

I have not been to a dock other than to get fuel in over six years.
I have always found a mooring ball or a safe place to anchor
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 18:33   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the help.
Seem to have many guys with weird ideas and relation to money in here.
I encountered that already allover the globe.
Why the heck should I pay 1/5th or 1/10 the value of a boat per month for mooring or the hard?

Some folks seem to have serious issues with basic math and relation to economy.

If slip rent for your boat is around $900@mnth. ...does this mean you paid $5000 for your boat? Or is your math questionable too? This is not a cheap hobby/lifestyle.
I noticed you are new to the forum...Welcome. Maybe soften up your responses a little.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 23:25   #37
cruiser

Boat: Peterson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
that's less than "cheap"

If I knew one of those anywhere I wouldn't be spreading the info around. Some things you need to keep to yourself.

I don't know, depends on the perspective hi?
I'll give you and all the others here an example.

I had a girlfriend in the Philippines for 3 years.
She was raising 3 own kids and adapted 2 of her brothers but they didn't stay with her all the time. Her brother was shot years ago and the mother of the 2 girls passed away a long time ago. So basically she had 3 kids and no notable income. They lived in her uncles place in a very simple ya well, not a house but something remembering it. The uncle was the sole earner in the family and had 3 own kids and his wife in the household. So there were in total 9 people in the way too small household. They all leaned on the uncles income which was roughly $180.
... per month.

And now you tell me that you pay almost 1000 bucks for some square-meters of seawater with a pole it.

Funny... and like I said... all a question of perspective.
Godiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 01:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Sometimes when it appears that everyone else has a problem.......it's not everyone else with the problem.

You asked a pretty fact-based question about the price for slips in the Caribbean. You got a bunch of people telling you the actual prices. Apparently you don't like those prices based on your own personal pricing metric that's not used in the actual real world, and because of that, you attack the math skills and "relation to economy" (whatever that is), of the people who kindly answered your questions with the fact-based reality of the situation? Seriously?
+1 Thank you, Rob.

You're new to the Forum, Guido (Godiche), so you may not have reviewed the Forum Rules (excerpt below), applicable to all Members. Please take a moment to review now:

Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our philosophy is that we want Cruisers Forum to be an online reflection of the boating community. Treat each other with respect just as you would on the water.
Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
Do not post the same discussion more than once or in more than one forum.
Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members.
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 04:09   #39

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If the uncle with the 9 mouths to feed owned that slip, I am guessing he would ask for market-rate rent rather than deeply discounting it...
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 04:23   #40
cruiser

Hahaha, candy...!

My first thought when I opened this area of the site was.... 'now it comes...'
You are just great guys and don't disappoint entirely
Old 29-05-2021, 04:45   #41

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

https://www.allatsea.net/

https://www.caribbeancompass.com/onl...ass_online.pdf

useful resources
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 05:07   #42

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Hi guys
I'm looking for a cheap marina in the Caribbean Sea (country doesn't matter as long it's secure) for my 42' ft mono. Ideal would be a private place. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

godiche
$425 per month, including water. $485 with electricity for our 44ft Catamaran. Very beautiful area. Marina itself suffered hurricane damage that has not recovered fully yet. Marina water not clear.

We just love the peace and tranquility here. If you can handle the P-Rican's unfriendly (many times rude) behaviour towards Americans (Blanco/Gringos)(I am blanco South African but treated as an American) and can handle the worst service for a first world island in the Caribbean, then I recommend Anchor Village Marina in Palmas del Mar, PuertoRico. (Not the main Palmas del Mar marina).

I am not too worried of being flooded by spreading the info, as only 2 or 3 slips are available out of 15, as the rest are still to be repaired.

Contact anchorvillage225@gmail.com for reservations.

(It is in hurricane belt. Will have to move your boat when a hurricane might struck, like three years ago)
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 05:28   #43

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the help.
Seem to have many guys with weird ideas and relation to money in here.
I encountered that already allover the globe.
Why the heck should I pay 1/5th or 1/10 the value of a boat per month for mooring or the hard?

Some folks seem to have serious issues with basic math and relation to economy.
Okay. Forget about Puerto Rico. And most of the other Caribbean Islands. Here is no relation between prices of goods and value compared to the US and other countries - maths and economy seldom ties up in high sought after holiday destinations. When finances pinch, that disparity hits you in the face . I found crappy Tortola and BVI in general more expensive than Japan.

The Caribbean is not for you, financially speaking, I guess.
Old 29-05-2021, 05:33   #44
cruiser

Which I don't understand.
85% of the countries in the Caribbean Sea are 3rd or in the best case 2nd world countries with monthly wages of 2-400 USD or even less. Probably too many 'rich Americans' (arguable) out there flashing wades of cash?

Wiping out the nice, south African's reply with a hand-stroke is not very kind to do some 'virtual attacking' here. GUILTY!
Old 29-05-2021, 05:37   #45

Quote:
Don't get it, please elaborate...
Where?

$425...?
I'm a stingy German. .)
Puerto Rico falls within the general area where hurricanes thrive.
From North of Bermuda to just about north of the ABC'S ( Aruba, Bonaire, Caracao) is all hurricane stricken areas - referred to as the hurricane belt. In hurricane season it is best to move your boat to safer islands, as on the hard spots are firstly reserved for locals, and otherwise hard to come by.

$425 Anchor Village Marina, Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico.

Tags
Caribbean, cheap, dock, rib