Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 01:07   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 40cc
Exaggerated Slip / Dock Rates?

Like to inform you about our marina founded some 30 years ago by members of our local sailing asssociation. We are situated in a beautifull natural setting in the dutch Delta and have facilities for some 250 yachts between 20 - 60 ft on floating pontoons with drinking water and electricity. We maintain all facilities ourselves and every member contribute by working and volunteer by doing all kind of services conc. club and marina.
Doing all this by ourselves results in very reasonable slip/dockrates: p.e. the bill for 2008 for my 40ft saliboat incl. water/electricity was around 650,- euros.
You will find these associations around the Netherlands and other N-European countries but I never sailed into non-profit operated marinas in other parts of the world. Are there any in the USA, Australia, South America ?
sokkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 01:30   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokkum View Post
You will find these associations around the Netherlands and other N-European countries but I never sailed into non-profit operated marinas in other parts of the world. Are there any in the USA, Australia, South America ?
In the US, there are some municipal marinas which are often very inexpensive or even free for a period of a few hours to a few days (Edenton, NC comes to mind, as does Elizabeth City) but for the most part you would need to mix anchoring, mooring and well chosen marinas to keep under 650 euros. The trend in the US is take ever bit of available land and privately develop it. There are some protected areas, usually wetlands, but since they are protected they are quite rural and you are back to anchoring out.

Any place in particular you might be interested in?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
An annual bill at our municiple marina, with a 1 year lease paid in advance, would run you around $2,000.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:26   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain municipal marina, safety issues, poor facilities/amenities. 2500 USD per year for a 26 footer. Also the anchorage outside is at a cost.

But I did see what our colleague from the Netherlands describes - in my boat's home in Sweden, a community run marina (and there are thousands of them) cost me 300 USD the whole winter, including travelifting in/out and powerwash. But I believe this happens only in countries which have great sailing tradition and less aggressive model of capitalism. And communities which prefer to do some work rather than hire others to work for them.

Anyway, have not seen anything like this outside N. Europe. Outside, everything is either 'private' (the anglo-saxon countries - UK, NZ, AUS, etc.) and expensive, or it is a service geared to rip off the tourist-sailor (all Latino countries - Portugal, Spain, Brasil) and expensive. The French Territories worked best for me, because they were pricey, but there it was clear from the very start what the cost was and the anchorages / fresh water were free (sometimes a token fee for water only) and they had no cruising / entrance / clearance fees.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:35   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
650 euros a year, or monthly?......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:17   #6

Boat: 33ft sloop
Sokkum means a season, most probably. A season runs normally from March till October. A supplementary fee has to be paid for the hard stand in the winter or for storage inside a shed.

Nontheless, for a 40' not expensive. Many other marina's in Holland are much more expensive with extra charges for electricity and showers.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:29   #7

Boat: Valiant 50
Two months ago, I was quoted around 33,000 Euro for 12 months in Palma de Mallorca for a 46 ft Cat; water & electricity is metered and is extra. No, not a misprint - 33K it is.
Old 26-08-2009, 08:31   #8

Boat: MJM 50 Z
USA CT 40' $5000. summer only.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
There HAD to be a digit error. 33k? What are they smokin'? Who would smoke that with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Two months ago, I was quoted around 33,000 Euro for 12 months in Palma de Mallorca for a 46 ft Cat; water & electricity is metered and is extra. No, not a misprint - 33K it is.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 08:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
That must be for a season - that is something for a megayacht in Antibes
Old 26-08-2009, 09:18   #11

Boat: Valiant 50
It was for a whole year (i.e. 12 months, as I wrote).. so divide the 33 by 12 to get the monthly rate.

It took several Gin and Tonics before I could stop shaking.
Old 26-08-2009, 09:26   #12

Spain is an excessive rip off - I remember well when having an accident on sea I was forced to make a stop in Club Nautico of Denia. At that time I had a 40' - as both of my hands were injured, I left the country for two weeks, on my return I had to pay more than 1400 Euro's.

The more north you come, the cheaper it will get. You better may go to Port Napoleon close to Marseille. It is much cheaper there, about the same rates as in the UK.
Old 26-08-2009, 09:36   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Getting ready to head south from New England to Florida for the winter. I have been on a mooring in Rhode Island, $1500 for the season. Checked on transient dock space around Long Island Sound for the first 1-2 nights of the trip south. $80-$150 per night for a 42' monohull. I told one marina that I could get a hotel room with AC and free HBO for less. They were not amused.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:17   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A "non-profit" marina in the US would probably be called a "Yacht Club" which had docks and moorings. Marina tends to mean a commercial business here.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:34   #15

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
As an alternative to Spain and it's rip off pricing, you could look at Marina Smir in Morocco, just across the straits from Gibraltar and less than half the cost of a slip in Gib. A very nice place as well with seemingly, no security issues. And great discounts for up front payment. Haggle

I've no connection in any way with Marina Smir, though I've berthed there.
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote