Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 16:06   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Charter do's and don't

I'll be chartering out of the BVI later this year to basically spend some sailing time, so far too much theory and not enough sailing... So one of my priorities is to sail a lot. Maybe even a overnight passage. Question is what is recommended or forbidden by the charter companies in the area? Daytime only, hug the islands? Or anything you want as long as it gets back in one piece...?
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 16:36   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Charter do's and don't

Their websites should have the rules... if they don't, email them and get them to forward you a copy.

They won't let you sail overnight or at night afaik

But it sti gives you lots of latitude for good long day sails.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:31   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, contact the charter company for their specifics. Typically they will have excluded areas/routes. Night operation is often prohibited too.

That said there are very few hazards to navigation in the BVI. Line of sight navigation. Its a good venue to build experience.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Most charters are not allowed to go to Anegada, not sure about leaving the BVI for other countries.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:49   #5

Boat: C&C 121

For any major charter company overnight is a no-no. Even Anegada requires clearance and either a flotilla or proven experience. Most in the BVI are fine with trips to the USVI.

John
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 05:08   #6

Chartered just last year with Sunsail and they have no problems with taking the boat to Anegada. No restrictions, no special requirements, nothing. Sailing during the night, though, absolutely prohibited.

If you're looking for more challenging sailing, I would suggest a one-way charter from Grenada to St. Vincent, or vice versa.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

don't run out of anchors,the boat only comes with 2.........

when anchoring try to anchor as close to a cruising yacht as possible,they know all the best places..........

be sure to put out lots of fenders in crowded anchorages,this will ensure a good nights sleep when there are bumps in the night.........

you will save yourself a lot of unnessacary cleaning by showering naked on the transom..
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:23   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Charter do's and don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
don't run out of anchors,the boat only comes with 2.........

when anchoring try to anchor as close to a cruising yacht as possible,they know all the best places..........

be sure to put out lots of fenders in crowded anchorages,this will ensure a good nights sleep when there are bumps in the night.........

you will save yourself a lot of unnessacary cleaning by showering naked on the transom..

Excellent advice atoll..also don't forget other sailors are watching to see how fast you can get to the beach after anchoring. Dropping the anchor and getting all the crew in the dinghy and to the beach ASAP will earn mucho respect 🍻
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Excellent advice atoll..also don't forget other sailors are watching to see how fast you can get to the beach after anchoring. Dropping the anchor and getting all the crew in the dinghy and to the beach ASAP will earn mucho respect ��
which reminds me of another usefull tip for finding your charter vessel after a late night out.......leave the stereo on as loud as possible whilst ashore.

this will make it easy to find your vessel later
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:15   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

And don't forget to head to the biggest cluster of boats at the anchorage and anchor right smack bang in the middle of them. Of course, if you happen to spot an obvious private vessel anchored a respectable distance from said bunch all by itself, go anchor right beside them as close as you can because that's got to be the best spot, right?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:26   #11

Since you are asking the question, I'm guessing that you don't have any chartering experience. Therefore, don't go in with guns blazing for big sailing adventure. Baby steps.

Yes, overnight passages are forbidden, and your charter company will tell you the boundaries that you must stay within. Given those limits, you can still learn much and have a great time.

All that said, I have done a charter that included overnight passages and we went way past the normal boundaries that are typically allowed. However, we had plenty of charter experience, and we negotiated our sail plan with the charter company before we signed the contract. We went during the summer, so they may have been looking for any business they could get, and we rented the boat for nearly a month. Plus, the boat the gave us was an "experienced" old nag, but I don't criticize them at all for that. We still had a fantastic time.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 08:15   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Most companies forbid sailing at night, especially if you're new to sailing and/or the BVI. Some even remove or disable the navigation lights to prevent you from doing this. But as Herb Cohen says: "everything is negotiable." Talk to your charter company and tell them what you want to do. If you do it surreptitiously, you may void any insurance coverage you have, and your charter agreement. If you have a problem then, it could be big bucks for you.

While I love to sail, and the conditions in the BVI are usually great for it, I love sharing the ambiance of each different island more. Stop and smell the roses! (and enjoy the great food and entertainment).
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 12:13   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
I'll be chartering out of the BVI later this year to basically spend some sailing time, so far too much theory and not enough sailing... So one of my priorities is to sail a lot. Maybe even a overnight passage. Question is what is recommended or forbidden by the charter companies in the area? Daytime only, hug the islands? Or anything you want as long as it gets back in one piece...?
If your main priority is "to sail a lot" may be you should consider different area than the BVI.
BVI is full of excellent places that are extremely close to each other. Even Anegada is not really far enough to require a night passage.
On the otherchand, you can leave your anchorage/mooring early in the morning and spend the whole day sailing around and come evening just choose the place for the night. It will be always close by.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 14:02   #14

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Hah! Just read the one about leaving your stereo on loud. You can do that, but don't expect anyone on the boats moored around you to be too friendly the next day! Try using your anchor light, and one or two distinguishing lights in the cockpit or at the stern. You'll make more friends that way.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 14:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Chartered just last year with Sunsail and they have no problems with taking the boat to Anegada. No restrictions, no special requirements, nothing. Sailing during the night, though, absolutely prohibited.
Yea....I'm a bit surprised at the change. Back when I first started chartering with the Moorings, some 30 years ago, Anagada was strictly verbotten.

I don't know what year the policy changed, but I'm glad it did. We enjoy the short sail and the island itself.

There have been incidents however....at least one was in 2012 or 2013 during the interline Sailing Regatta, a participant ran aground. Not only did they run aground but they abandoned ship!!!! I wasn't there that year but heard about it. Ooops.

Tags
charter