Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 09:51   #31

Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Fundamentally, it comes down to this :

The right monohull is a thing of beauty and grace - tradition and technology fused to make the most perfect machine ever built, while multihulls have all the beauty and grace of a kitchen appliance that's somehow fallen in the ocean.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

The right monohull is a thing of beauty and grace - tradition and technology fused to make the most perfect machine ever built, while multihulls have all the beauty and grace of a kitchen appliance that's somehow fallen in the ocean.
It's useless comments like this that take all credibility from the poster.

On another note, more useful to this thread:
I always hear one big reason monohulls are preferred is lower cost of maintenance. But in talking to people that have owned both they all have said the cost is virtually the same for comparable boats. True you have one more engine but even with two hulls (depending on the boat) it's almost always not 2x the area when it comes to antifouling.
All other major maintenance areas are virtually the same.

So where is this drastic difference in cost coming from I keep hearing about? And I'm not talking about slip fees.

As far as form vs. function, this is another area I keep hearing about from those that prefer monohulls, how much better their boat looks vs a cat. For me, form will always follow function and the best examples of that I find are on a cat (for my needs). I could care less how good a monohull looks if I can't even stand up in the tiny salon without hitting my head.
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48   #33

Got it. Anyone who disagrees with you has no credibility. A bit touchy maybe because you know I'm right?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:01   #34
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
also what the OP said: dockage for catamarans is difficult or impossible to find. either you tie up at the end or you look for another marina. most slips are for 12 to 15 foot beams. so in essence it does come down to money. i understand if you are limited to a 24" draft but other than that i don't get the attraction.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:12   #35

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Don't forget Dragonfly and Corsair. Is Farrier still making tris? And there is that brand new Rapido 60 currently in production.

Edit: I see Farrier has subbed out the F-33 tri and the F-45 cat to an outfit in the Philippines.
Yeah, this dragonfly looks like the best of both mono and cat, if you are into hanging laundry from poles.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

I don't know about tradition, but to me this has plenty of beauty, grace and more technology than you could find in 100 traditional monohulls. If I had a kazillion dollars I'd get me one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	101609  
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Truth be told, NimbleMotors has it right about the Trimarans. I went on the Neel 45 in the Netherlands and could not believe the speed nor the comfort nor the ease of handling.

Inherently safe and beautiful and clever.

Well designed.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:27   #38

Quote:

https://youtu.be/bs3kpZpBaiw
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 13:12   #39

Boat: Scout 30

For anyone interested there's a Prout 33 being auctioned off by a charity on Ebay.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 13:44   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
I love these videos they have made, great example of the practicality and grace of multihull sailing!
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 13:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I don't know about tradition, but to me this has plenty of beauty, grace and more technology than you could find in 100 traditional monohulls. If I had a kazillion dollars I'd get me one of these.
Should have said MOST multihulls. Some of them look OK, I suppose!
Old 08-05-2015, 13:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
I love these videos they have made, great example of the practicality and grace of multihull sailing!
he did a nice job I thought, theres another he made of a tour of their boat

https://youtu.be/BDCsPPecGEQ

BTW an Impi is a Zulu warrior
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 14:09   #43

Boat: Beneteau OC 41

In my mind it comes down to your answers to three questions:

1. Sailing and handling - I prefer a monohull to a cat, probably, because I grew up sailing monos.

2. Cost - When I look at cats, and I have, they always strike me as too expensive. Based on affordability, I would pick a monohull.

3. Comfort - I consider comfort and space to be synonymous. I'd also throw in there comfort of ride. On comfort, in my mind, the cat wins over the monohull. They certainly provide more space (at a fairly high cost) and I think that you can argue that they provide a more comfortable ride, but I'm sure that's debatable.

I think those are the primary questions to ask yourself. You can reorder them based on your priorities, but I think, as a group, they will help you decide what you want. My answers are irrelevant; your answers are what matter. Good luck.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 14:44   #44

Quote:

I find monohulls to be boring, and some are plain ugly. The only nice looking ones are made of wood, over 100 years old, and would be a nightmare to own unless you're very rich.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 16:24   #45

Answering the OPs question, I think the biggest factor in mono vs cat isn't beauty, survivability, speed, windward ability or what ever. It's cost. Cats are expensive. I paid $17500 for my 35' turn key mono. You don't get any cat for that kind of money, forget about a seaworthy Cat. If I was wealthy, I'd consider Cat. But I'm not, so it isn't even an option I would consider.

Combine initial purchase price with the fact that cats don't generally age very well and you have your answer why regular folks don't sail Cats.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote