Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 22:55   #196

Boat: Shipman 28, 29ft
Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
I'd also be interested to hear about your experience. In my case I need to find a slip that can take the 7.5m beam of our Maverick 400 catamaran...I don't believe any of the regular SG slips can do the job.
hi Olivergm,

I spied a sunreef cat there, and while I did not note the model, the smallest sunreef is a 58?

you can call them Dalac Marine Engineering

from what I can see, they are chockablock full at the moment. I have no experience with their work yet, perhaps I'll find out this weekend what 7 days on the hard amounts to

Rgds
Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 23:01   #197

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft
Great, if they can get a 58ft'er on the hard my 40 should be no problem. I'm about 1yr away from needing a 'bottom job' but thanks for the info, this is a lot closer than Thailand!
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 23:12   #198

Quote:
Great, if they can get a 58ft'er on the hard my 40 should be no problem. I'm about 1yr away from needing a 'bottom job' but thanks for the info, this is a lot closer than Thailand!
it didn't look like it was 'on the hard' actually, seemed to look more like it was elevated off a ramp. I'll try to remember to take a pic this weekend when I go there...

I don't think their lift is big enough for a cat. Didn't mean to mislead you

Rgds
Old 15-11-2013, 20:01   #199

olivergm,

they can take up to 12m beam cats, best to call for availability.

he said the pricing is comparable to phuket sans the distance.

Regards
Old 15-11-2013, 20:06   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
Fair enough :-) the csc bar is a dangerous place... Very hard to drag oneself away from!

I'd be very interested in hearing how things go at dalac (and how much to expect to pay if that's ok). I need to come out and do antifouling soon.

Cheers,

James
Hi James, 1 week on, she's sanded down, and all sorts of bad bits identified. I got a report with pics on findings, and recommendations (i.e. it's gonna cost more), but I think that's fair.

I'm asking them to do interior repaint, all the wood etc, now.

Old 15-11-2013, 20:27   #201

Great, thanks for asking and sharing. Let us know how the refurb goes. Cheers
Oliver
Old 15-11-2013, 20:53   #202

Wheres a good place to buy engine oil (15W40 )in SG. As with most things marine in SG everyones focused on the larger ships and thus massive volumes. I'm guessing a decent gas station somewhere?
Old 15-11-2013, 21:05   #203

Quote:
Wheres a good place to buy engine oil (15W40 )in SG. As with most things marine in SG everyones focused on the larger ships and thus massive volumes. I'm guessing a decent gas station somewhere?
I get my motor oils (vehicular) from a shop called mxtradings in ubi. Better pricing, you can Google for what he carries.
Old 16-11-2013, 15:29   #204

Boat: Moody 376

Also would say that mix trading sis a good place to get oil. However, I'm sad to say that I don't treat my diesel to the good stuff he sells. I run strait mineral oil from NTSC (carline) cheap and cheerful, and change it often.

Thanks for the update on the yard, they got back to me with a quote that seems reasonable. I'll need to chew on it a while as I could still potentially save money by doing a DIY job at changi. The main factor there is the price and availability of a crane.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 19:56   #205

hi guys,

new Q: Can I simply hose down the engine and scrub it clean with degreasers etc?

Thanks!
Old 22-06-2014, 23:57   #206

Hi SG boaters, any recommendations on who I can get to wax my 40ft cat? I would like to give it a go myself but with 2x sub 3yr old boys I struggle to get the time for a job like that. I look forward to then being able to help!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-07-2014, 08:10   #207

Hi ! I am new here and am considering to buy a cat or a beneteau. am thinking of doing long trips to explore the island around south east asia. any recommendation?
Whitesnowbeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 16:44   #208

Welcome to Singapore and the SEA boating world. There are some great sailing grounds in these parts I'd highly recommend it. Check out the Anambas Islands, Tioman and Nikoi to get an idea. Things to consider when buying:
Berths are hard to come by in SG so call around and get your name on the waiting lists.
There is a 7% tax on imports, avoidable if u register the boat outside of SG, or buy a SG registered boat.
It's definitely a buyer's market here with most vessels still for sale 18months after I was looking for my cat.
Regional prices are still pretty high when compared to the US or EU. Aus seems the exception on the expensive side.
Depending on what u looking for shipping or sailing your purchase from further afield may be cheaper.
In SG you need to complete your basic proficiency theory and then practical. There is waiting list to do both so book now.
Happy to discuss further.
Oliver

Old 07-07-2014, 17:07   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnowbeary View Post
Hi ! I am new here and am considering to buy a cat or a beneteau. am thinking of doing long trips to explore the island around south east asia. any recommendation?
Welcome to Singapore and CF!

Oliver has some good advice. The PPCDL is required if you want to skipper a boat with an engine in Singapore. It is not easy and is the real deal in terms of theory, but there is also a practical on the water test.

The waiting list is usually a month or more and if you fail it is another month or more to retest. Don't fail. The toughest part for me was the geography - They will show you a blue blob, ask you what island it is or whether it is restricted or something. I made flash cards for this part.

Many yacht clubs will offer a discount on the PPCDL training if you join. Changi Sailing Club has an incredible deal right now for a 2 year term membership, plenty of dinghy's for rent, a J24 and a couple of plateaus.

Most of the good boats change hands by word of mouth. The lesser or maybe "unreasonably" priced boats languish for a while with notices on the club bulletin boards..
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 15:26   #210
cruiser

Quote:
Welcome to Singapore and the SEA boating world. There are some great sailing grounds in these parts I'd highly recommend it. Check out the Anambas Islands, Tioman and Nikoi to get an idea. Things to consider when buying:
Berths are hard to come by in SG so call around and get your name on the waiting lists.
There is a 7% tax on imports, avoidable if u register the boat outside of SG, or buy a SG registered boat.
It's definitely a buyer's market here with most vessels still for sale 18months after I was looking for my cat.
Regional prices are still pretty high when compared to the US or EU. Aus seems the exception on the expensive side.
Depending on what u looking for shipping or sailing your purchase from further afield may be cheaper.
In SG you need to complete your basic proficiency theory and then practical. There is waiting list to do both so book now.
Happy to discuss further.
Oliver

what marinas do you recommend getting on the waiting list for? 65 ft and best rate where i wont lose my electronics if left unattended. thanx
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore