Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2009, 08:00   #1

Buying a Boat in Singapore

I have just joined this board, thanks for having me. Been reading excellent stuff on here for ages. I wanted to ask if anyone knows something about getting a used 32-40ft boat in Singapore. Most sellers here appear to be selling powered boats. Do people here normally buy and ship sailboats over? Where is the best place to look? It looks like I really can't be fuzzy. I thought of Australia as the choices in Thailand and Malaysia seem limited and overpriced. I am looking for a boat that can hold 4-5 people on a weeks cruise. Would really appreciate some information. Thanks.
larrysolberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 17:57   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Hi,
If you don't find anything in Singapore and you should (even though might be more pricey and racing kind) you can certainly cross the Johor strait and head to Malaysia (Langkawi in particular) and Thailand. The big brokers like Simpson and Lee usually have couple of sailboats, in Malaysia there is also pippernmarine.com. Good luck.
Petr
Old 18-12-2009, 20:06   #3
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
you should visit the marinas and look at the posted ads there.
local brokerages to look for are
Howison Marine www.howisonmarine.com
Simpson
www.simpsonmarine.com

and in Thailand
www.leemarine.com

Langkawi and Phuket have plenty of sailing boats for sale, so it would make sense to go there for a weekend and do window shopping. A friend of mine in Langkawi is selling her 43ft Kiwi built steel cruiser after building a house in Langkawi. The boat is like new condition, fully equipped, no broker.

ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 20:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Larry and welcome to Singapore and Cruisers Forum. Near as I can tell we have 4-5 members here living in Sing.

Most boats in Singapore eventually transfer by word of mouth. The key is getting plugged in. Raffles, RSYC and Changi are, in my opinion, the "regular guys" clubs. One15 and Keppel are more upscale. All are a good source to investigate and kick tires.

Oh, yeah - There is also SAF Changi, SAF Sembawang and Punggol with different levels of activity.

Also in my experience most boats end up on boats.com The advice to expand your search to Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia is a good one. There is no import duty on used boats to Singapore or GST.

I made a custom search on boats.com to keep an eye on things - Click Here

I sail almost every weekend. If you are around and want to go out today send me a PM or just pitch up - My regular crew have all but abandoned me for Christmas holidays so I know I have room today. We have a twilight race at 5PM tonight. Pitch up NLT 4PM. You'll find me in front of the outdoor cafe. Ask for Dan or Relax Lah! and someone will steer you straight.

Probably sailing tomorrow as well.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 21:10   #5

Thanks Dan,

Thats most generous of you. I hope you can keep the offer open for another day. What an opportunity! Wish I had not made plans now. I have been to CSC a couple iof times. Even took my power boat course there. Will you be there on the first weekend of Jan? Thanks again!
Old 18-12-2009, 22:12   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PS - I might be wrong about GST. For sure no duties on used boats.
Old 19-12-2009, 19:00   #7

Boat: Taswell 43
We are American and have lived in Asia since 1995. We bought our current sailboat, a used 1989 Taswell 43, through a broker in Singapore. My job allowed me to travel extensively around Asia, and I made multiple visits to all the Singapore marinas mentioned in a previous post, as well as all those in Hong Kong and all the yards in Tiawan. I spent a lot of time looking on my own, but did not find anything really worth looking at until I contacted a local broker--seems there's alot of "informal" listings, that only the broker knows about. Our impression then, and now, is that boats in Singapore where generally a little more expensive in Singapore than elswhere, but were in better nick and where much better equipped...bottom line-Singapore was the best place to look/buy a used CRUISING boat, although Phuket and Langkowi are also good places to look.
We bought our boat, then sailed her to the PI, where she is still home ported. We had no trouble, and no added expenses, buying in Singapore and then leaving Singapore. Our only issue was we had to deregister her(a somewhat involved process) before we could get USCoastGuard registration. But it is very doable.
We are approaching retirement, and a significant case of..."grandmaitis" has set in!! As a result we have bought a place in Belize, and plan to spend out tropical time there. But, with the Belizian barrier reef comes some vlarge area of skinny water-we found that out after we bought in Belize!. So we are looking at selling our Taswell 43 here, in Asia, and then planning to buy something better suited to shallow wate and the arear. If a Taswell 43, totally equipped for cruising, well maintained and in very good nick, is something that may suit your needs...we can talk! I'm available on email, phone, etc; I've got lots of pics, stats, etc. Sailcrazy
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 19:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysolberg View Post
Thanks Dan,

Thats most generous of you. I hope you can keep the offer open for another day. What an opportunity! Wish I had not made plans now. I have been to CSC a couple iof times. Even took my power boat course there. Will you be there on the first weekend of Jan? Thanks again!
Sure glad you were able to come out last night Lars. Good fun and nice meeting you. Pulling 2nd in the twilight race was a bonus
Old 20-12-2009, 05:09   #9

Hey Dan,

That was great fun! Thanks again. Great boat too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sure glad you were able to come out last night Lars. Good fun and nice meeting you. Pulling 2nd in the twilight race was a bonus
Old 20-12-2009, 06:04   #10

Hi Sailcrazy,

Thanks for you response and advise on buying out here. Much appreciated. I have almost no experience in sailing and may wish to start on something a little smaller with less outlay. Dan generously took me out on his boat and gave me valuable ideas on owning a boat in Singapore. I had a blast and may be perfectly content with learning the ropes before making big decisions. That day out made me realize that there is so much I don't know and will need to know before making the next move. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and good luck with your retirement plans and selling your boat.
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We are American and have lived in Asia since 1995. We bought our current sailboat, a used 1989 Taswell 43, through a broker in Singapore. My job allowed me to travel extensively around Asia, and I made multiple visits to all the Singapore marinas mentioned in a previous post, as well as all those in Hong Kong and all the yards in Tiawan. I spent a lot of time looking on my own, but did not find anything really worth looking at until I contacted a local broker--seems there's alot of "informal" listings, that only the broker knows about. Our impression then, and now, is that boats in Singapore where generally a little more expensive in Singapore than elswhere, but were in better nick and where much better equipped...bottom line-Singapore was the best place to look/buy a used CRUISING boat, although Phuket and Langkowi are also good places to look.
We bought our boat, then sailed her to the PI, where she is still home ported. We had no trouble, and no added expenses, buying in Singapore and then leaving Singapore. Our only issue was we had to deregister her(a somewhat involved process) before we could get USCoastGuard registration. But it is very doable.
We are approaching retirement, and a significant case of..."grandmaitis" has set in!! As a result we have bought a place in Belize, and plan to spend out tropical time there. But, with the Belizian barrier reef comes some vlarge area of skinny water-we found that out after we bought in Belize!. So we are looking at selling our Taswell 43 here, in Asia, and then planning to buy something better suited to shallow wate and the arear. If a Taswell 43, totally equipped for cruising, well maintained and in very good nick, is something that may suit your needs...we can talk! I'm available on email, phone, etc; I've got lots of pics, stats, etc. Sailcrazy
Old 05-01-2010, 22:33   #11

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Buying a boat in S.E.Asia- How safe is it ?

Hello to everyone in South East Asia

I am considering buying a catamaran overseas and sailing it back to Australia sometime in the future. I know there are a lot of boats sailing these waters and there must be a fair few boats for sale privately and through brokers. How financially secure is it to buy boats in various countries in the area ? If the deal is in dispute I presume jurisdiction resides in the courts where the boat is sold. How accessable and timely are the court systems ? Are there any particular safeguards that an overseas buyer has to consider to avoid fraud and dishonesty. I know some of this language is a bit emotive and I don't mean to target any country in particular. In fact, if I was buying a boat in the US or Europe I would be asking the same questions.

Regards
Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:13   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Following up on Ex-Calif. I happen to know the couple who are selling the 1981 Robin Harris schooner that is on the low-end of the listings he sent: 1981 Robin Harris Gaff Rigged Schooner - Boats.com

Nice people who have put a lot of work into the boat. If schooners are your thing, it might be worth checking out.
Old 26-11-2010, 03:30   #13

Boat: Woodwind 10.3 catamaran
Brand new Mahe 36 evolution

Quote:
I have just joined this board, thanks for having me. Been reading excellent stuff on here for ages. I wanted to ask if anyone knows something about getting a used 32-40ft boat in Singapore. Most sellers here appear to be selling powered boats. Do people here normally buy and ship sailboats over? Where is the best place to look? It looks like I really can't be fuzzy. I thought of Australia as the choices in Thailand and Malaysia seem limited and overpriced. I am looking for a boat that can hold 4-5 people on a weeks cruise. Would really appreciate some information. Thanks.
Brand new Mahe 36 evolution, Fountaine Pajot for sale in Singapore.

Please contact leong_hun@yahoo.com
Jan Iversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 21:12   #14

pirate Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

Quote:
Hi Larry, Good day to you. Wondering what's your budget like? On-hand i have a wooden 7 metre fishing boat that can hold max 12 people. Let me know if you're interested.
Aurabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17   #15

Re: Buying a Boat in Singapore

Hi everyone,

Was doing some research on "sailboats vs powerboats" and came to this forum.

My wife and I are contemplating to get a boat to liveaboard together with our 1.5 yrs old baby daughter. Based in Singapore and I have no experience in sailing, only done some windsurfing many years back. Thinking of getting a 35-40 footer...

Is it tough to sail a board? And is it better to get a motorboat or sailboat or catamaran as a liveaboard?

Thanks very much!
maverick55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore