Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 14:24   #1

Buying a 22' Cape Dory and crossing the Gulf

I am planning on buy a 1981 22' Cape Dory and sailing it from Miami to the Bahamas where it shall live. I have very little sailing experience and am purchasing this boat as a beginner learn to sail vessel. The problem is crossing the gulf stream is intimidating for someone with little experience.

What is the best course of action to get my boat home safely without killing myself?
moodyreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 14:30   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Buying a 22' Cape Dory and crossing the Gulf

I think it's important to get to now a boat well before taking it cruising. Crossing the gulf stream is largely a matter of waiting for the right weather. In the winter, when cold fronts are common, it can be a long wait.

I've spend one night in 35 knots (not predicted) close hauled puking my guts out all night, and have had crossing where it was flat and easy. I much prefer to wait for the flat and easy.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 14:49   #3

Get some reading on crossing the stream. Sail the boat so you are comfortable reefing again and again before you leave.
I think the general consensus is to cross the stream when the wind goes from NE to E and then south and around. The Noreaster blows against the stream causing rough water. I think the wind goes south every couple weeks generally. So find a good weather info site and go by that.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:22   #4

Boat: Tahitiana 32

Come up with a couple of young, strong, experienced sailors (at least one of whom has made the crossing). Fix anything that is dicey on your rig, sails, etc. Wait for the right weather. Have a nice sail across with the two experienced people aboard. Enjoy some cocktails when you get there.
georgelieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:30   #5

Boat: Bristol 29

That's an ocean-worthy design. If it's in good shape, experienced sailors will be able to cross in any decent weather. In November and December you may have to wait a week or two or three to get a good window. And you can cross with a buddy-boat to increase your safety margin.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 17:40   #6

What are some things to look for and to bring along to make sure she is ready before I buy it and to make sure she is ready for a gulf crossing.

Here's a picture for anyone unfamiliar with the boat.

Old 30-09-2014, 18:32   #7

Boat: Bristol 35

Call around to the marinas- You might find others crossing around the same time which would be a nice way to get started. I know power boats go in groups and I would think sailors would as well.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 18:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyreve View Post
What are some things to look for and to bring along to make sure she is ready before I buy it and to make sure she is ready for a gulf crossing.
What you need for a gulf stream crossing:
1.An experienced skipper
2. Have an experienced skipper go through the boat beforehand. Replace and repair all things he is uncomfortable with.
3. Someone like boaty would be ideal: An experienced skipper that likes small sailboats.
4. A good port to take her too.
5. 1-2 days of favorable winds.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 19:08   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyreve View Post

Here's a picture for anyone unfamiliar with the boat.

So you're buying a CD 22 or a 27 like the pic. the 27 has an inboard diesel and a much more capable boat.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:48   #10
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Don't be scared off; even in the winter, most of the time you will have a pleasant crossing.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 13:22   #11

Boat: PSC 37

A friend of ours crossed in a Compac 16 -- 4 times. He was drunk most of the time, too (he was a recovering alcoholic when we knew him, but said this was just a higher recommendation for the boat). The boat is fine. But make sure it's in good condition, esp the rig.

You should get as much experience in the boat as possible. Both in protected waters and out in open waters. Make sure you know how to heave to. Then make sure you understand the crossing and the behavior of the stream.

Good luck!
jangann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:15   #12

So I have not purchased the boat yet and I am still planning this expedition. My question now is whether or not 22 Cape Dory is the specific boat for my needs. Would a 22 Catalina be a more capable boat for crossing the gulf? Would it be more comfortable in bahamian waters with it's retractable fin keel opposed to the deeper full keel of the Dory. However in my opinion the Cape Dory is a beautiful boat, and the Catalina 22 is pretty ugly. So basically I am having buyers indecision. What are your opinions.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56   #13

Boat: PSC 37

Given these two choices, I'd go with the CD. They're better built and sail better. A centerboard can break, I speak from experience, then you can't pull it up.

But, I'd take a Catalina in good shape over a CD in bad shape. Just go out and look at a ton of boats. How about a CD 25?

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangann View Post
Given these two choices, I'd go with the CD. They're better built and sail better. A centerboard can break, I speak from experience, then you can't pull it up.

But, I'd take a Catalina in good shape over a CD in bad shape. Just go out and look at a ton of boats. How about a CD 25?

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
I would second this recommendation. All things being equal I would take the Cape Dory over the Catalina but a pristine Catalina would be better than a beat up, wore out Cape Dory.

Regarding draft, I believe the CD 22 is only 3' which should be fine for Bahamas cruising unless you're trying to get in areas more suited for a dinghy than a sailboat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:29   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you have no experience with boats and cruising then here's what I would do to prepare for the trip.

1. Check everything involved in keeping the water on the outside of the boat.

- All through hulls and seacocks. These will be on things like cooling water to the engine, sink drains, cockpit drains, toilets.
- All hoses that go to fittings below the water. Check both ends of these hoses, not just the one on the seacock.

2. Check all the systems that make the boat go.

- Have someone experienced check all the standing riggings (the wires that hold up the mast) to make sure it is in good condition.
- Same for the sails. Do they have life left in them or is the fabric rotted and about to go.
- Same for the running rigging (all the ropes and such that hoist the sails and trim the sails).
- Check engine.

3. As has been mentioned, the crossing itself is easy as long as you check the weather carefully.

4. How's your basic navigation and boat handling skill? If in doubt, bring a friend that has more experience.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cape dory