If you have no experience with boats and cruising then here's what I would do to prepare for the trip.
1. Check everything involved in keeping the water
on the outside of the boat.
- All through hulls and seacocks. These will be on things like cooling
water to the engine
, sink drains, cockpit
- All hoses that go to fittings below the water. Check both ends of these hoses, not just the one on the seacock.
2. Check all the systems that make the boat go.
- Have someone experienced check all the standing riggings (the wires that hold up the mast) to make sure it is in good condition.
- Same for the sails
. Do they have life left in them or is the fabric
rotted and about to go.
- Same for the running rigging
(all the ropes and such that hoist the sails and trim the sails).
- Check engine
3. As has been mentioned, the crossing itself is easy as long as you check the weather carefully.
4. How's your basic navigation
and boat handling skill? If in doubt, bring a friend that has more experience.