Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 13:57   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Broker or go it alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Never had that problem in purchasing power and sail boats. You are not likely going to find the owner unless you research them through the boat HIN, and even if you do, doubt the owner will want to take the time/effort to show you the boat since there is a lot involved with purchasing a boat besides looking at it AND the owner will still have to pay the broker their commission so the owner will want the broker to handle all that.

You can’t in most places track anyone by the HIN , data protection will prevent that.

Most boats are sold through brokers , certainly mainstream stuff.

Do your research , build shortlists , eliminate outliers, build a picture of market pricing for the selected models.

I know many brokers. I have a pint with one regularly and coffee with another

Brokers can smell the tyre kickers 10 miles off , the trade is damned with “ dreamers “ who

A. Don’t know what they want
B. Haven’t finances sorted
C. Have done no research

Do your home work. Zone in on boats that suit your criteria , get your finances worked out and teed up. The broker isn’t there to trawl through your life decisions.

Ring a broker

Hi , I’m in the market for a 200x model yyyyy, I’m interested in the xxxxxx you list. My budget is approx , I’m keen to buy as quickly as practical can I make an appointment to see it.

Most brokers will grab you by both arms.

In my case I’m still trying to get brokers to stop contacting me two years after buying a boat. During the buying process , every broker 3 on the U.K. 2 in France , I in Spain , and 3 in Greece , responded promptly , sent me the specific details and were prepared to pick me up from a nearby airport. ( nothing says keen as the willingness to fly to see a boat)

In close to 30 years and 9 boats. I’ve only ran across one broker that was slow to do anything.
Old 13-05-2022, 06:39   #17

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Broker or go it alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
I'm eager for some advice regarding boat brokers and hope this is the right section in which to ask...

I am in the Boston, MA (US) area and am in the market for either a cat or monohull sailboat, year 2000 +. For the monohull, I have some specific criteria for live-aboard. For example, Class A, 35-40ft, LOA-LWL <5ft, swim platform, single large berth, large freezer and refrigeration, water maker, clothes washer, hot water, and solar power. In other words, I do not want to enter into a life of permanent camping. Need some comforts and convenience whilst simplifying life and cruising...
I do Pre-Purchase/Sale Consulting but only for Amel sailboats. I do this about 50 times a year. As far as I know, nobody else performs this service. If you do not want an Amel, there is plenty of free advice on the following webpage you can use with many other brands. Good luck.

https://preparetocastoff.blogspot.co...ying-amel.html
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 07:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Hopefully you won’t take this the wrong way, but most brokers would consider you a “tire kicker”. Being a broker is a tough business. You’ll starve if you spend too much of your day answering questions from folks like you who are just starting their buying process.
Maybe I read it differently.

The OP inquired about a specific boat...ignoring potential customers for boats you have listed is a great way to starve if you are waiting for the guy to show up with a bag of cash to buy today.

Yeah, if he sends an email with generic specs and wants the broker to vet the market and come back with options that meet his specs...that's generally not going to happen outside the really high end market, if you provide some cash up front to cover his costs or otherwise provide him a guarantee he's going to get a commission for his efforts.

With the last couple years of record sales, I'm betting a lot have been riding the gravy train and not being prompt about chasing buyer leads as there has been an oversupply of buyers.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 09:29   #19

Boat: Taswell 43

following.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 16:30   #20

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

We’ve been around this pond before. Brokers have access to tried and true contracts, escrow accounts for keeping your money safe. The protocol for purchasing is also pretty safe. Anyone have experience with BoatTrader? They apparently provide contracts etc.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker