Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2022, 17:12   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42
Broker or go it alone?

I'm eager for some advice regarding boat brokers and hope this is the right section in which to ask...

I am in the Boston, MA (US) area and am in the market for either a cat or monohull sailboat, year 2000 +. For the monohull, I have some specific criteria for live-aboard. For example, Class A, 35-40ft, LOA-LWL <5ft, swim platform, single large berth, large freezer and refrigeration, water maker, clothes washer, hot water, and solar power. In other words, I do not want to enter into a life of permanent camping. Need some comforts and convenience whilst simplifying life and cruising (the two may be exclusive, I know!).

New to market. Sent a broker an inquiry about a vessel that seemed to fit the bill and never heard back. So phoned and got excuses. Broker suggested meeting to discuss, but never got back in touch. The lack of eagerness suggests they have too much business, or are inept (maybe both).

Do folks have to chase down and nag brokers to get assistance?

Perhaps it's better to approach owners directly. How might I find them?

Eager for any suggestions and guidance.

/mark
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 17:15   #2

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Re: Broker or go it alone?

All of the boats on Yachtworld are through brokers - the point of a broker from the sell-side is to save the seller from the hassle of people contacting them directly about their boat.

You can find FSBO via Craigslist or sailboatlistings.com among other options.

From the title of the post it sounded like you were going to ask whether to hire a buyer's broker, but it doesn't seem like that's the case?
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 17:53   #3

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

I had not considered a buyer's broker. Maybe it's a good idea! How might I find one?
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 20:32   #4

Hopefully you won’t take this the wrong way, but most brokers would consider you a “tire kicker”. Being a broker is a tough business. You’ll starve if you spend too much of your day answering questions from folks like you who are just starting their buying process.

First - ditch the list. It’s way to specific and will change a lot the moment you start getting on boats. I don’t know any 35ft boat with a single berth. And I can think of 50 things more important than LOA-LWL.

Instead find three models of boats that you think you like. Look on Yachtworld, go to boat shows and talk to people at the local marina. Boat owners love to talk about their boat - especially if you bring some beers. Listen carefully to what they like and don’t like - don’t focus on what you think you want now.. Most people end up buying a boat that is very different than their first plan.

Then find a few boats on Yachtworld that is one of your three choices and call the broker (don’t email). Leave a message that you are interested in buying a EastWind-36 in the next 90 days and are interested in the one he’s listed. You’d like to come see it. Could he call to set up a time? When he calls, don’t ask a lot of questions. He can only tell you what’s in the Yachtworld ad listing anyways. Instead, convince him that you are a serious buyer that he better take seriously or you’ll end up buying the other EastWind-36 that’s on Yachtworld. Tell him you have the money to buy it.

You don’t have to look for a buyer’s broker. They will find you once word gets around that you are looking at boats. Or ask the boat owners you talk to for names.

Good luck.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 21:44   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
I'm eager for some advice regarding boat brokers and hope this is the right section in which to ask...

I am in the Boston, MA (US) area and am in the market for either a cat or monohull sailboat, year 2000 +. For the monohull, I have some specific criteria for live-aboard. For example, Class A, 35-40ft, LOA-LWL <5ft, swim platform, single large berth, large freezer and refrigeration, water maker, clothes washer, hot water, and solar power. In other words, I do not want to enter into a life of permanent camping. Need some comforts and convenience whilst simplifying life and cruising (the two may be exclusive, I know!).

New to market. Sent a broker an inquiry about a vessel that seemed to fit the bill and never heard back. So phoned and got excuses. Broker suggested meeting to discuss, but never got back in touch. The lack of eagerness suggests they have too much business, or are inept (maybe both).

Do folks have to chase down and nag brokers to get assistance?

Perhaps it's better to approach owners directly. How might I find them?

Eager for any suggestions and guidance./mark
The process is YOU locate a boat your interested in and contact the broker or owner. Brokers work for the seller except for a buyers broker...forget about the latter.

Start visiting the marinas and see as many boats as you can until your sick of it...and then look at some more. The process will educate you and eventually lead to a boat you'll be happy with if you are willing to accept the tradeoffs...all boats have them. There are no shortcuts.

NOTE: If your trying to live aboard to save housing costs your on the wrong track.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 21:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

Then find a few boats on Yachtworld that is one of your three choices and call the broker (don’t email). Leave a message that you are interested in buying a EastWind-36 in the next 90 days and are interested in the one he’s listed. You’d like to come see it. Could he call to set up a time? When he calls, don’t ask a lot of questions. He can only tell you what’s in the Yachtworld ad listing anyways. Instead, convince him that you are a serious buyer that he better take seriously or you’ll end up buying the other EastWind-36 that’s on Yachtworld. Tell him you have the money to buy it.
Carl has nailed it. Most brokers have dozens of boats listed and most likely haven't even seen the vessel your interested in. A broker is not your friend and cares not about you, do not rely on them for any accurate information, go and look and pay an independent surveyor.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 23:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

My experience with a buyers broker was excellent. I met with one provided proof that i was serious and gave him some criteria I wanted. He suggested a few boat that I might be interested in. We went I looked the chartered a boat for a week of the same model. After the charter I decided we wanted to go bigger. He suggested two larger boats. We looked at two that were available locally but neither were up to snuff. I told him I wanted a good boat and gave him three models and that I would be ready if he found one of the three. 2 months later he had found a boat in Fla (we are in Texas) while doing business for another client. He went 3 hours out of his way to go look to make sure it was worth my time. It was and two weeks later wife and I flew out and bought boat. Buyers broker did a great job for me.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:57   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

CarlF is spot on. If you don’t do your homework don’t expect a broker to do it for you
Old 01-05-2022, 06:24   #9

Boat: C&C

Quote:
Hopefully you won’t take this the wrong way, but most brokers would consider you a “tire kicker”. Being a broker is a tough business. You’ll starve if you spend too much of your day answering questions from folks like you who are just starting their buying process.

First - ditch the list. It’s way to specific and will change a lot the moment you start getting on boats. I don’t know any 35ft boat with a single berth. And I can think of 50 things more important than LOA-LWL.

Instead find three models of boats that you think you like. Look on Yachtworld, go to boat shows and talk to people at the local marina. Boat owners love to talk about their boat - especially if you bring some beers. Listen carefully to what they like and don’t like - don’t focus on what you think you want now.. Most people end up buying a boat that is very different than their first plan.

You don’t have to look for a buyer’s broker. They will find you once word gets around that you are looking at boats. Or ask the boat owners you talk to for names.

Good luck.

Totally agree with CarlF! He's bang on with his advice, take it and you'll find your dream boat.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:27   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
...........Do folks have to chase down and nag brokers to get assistance? Perhaps it's better to approach owners directly. How might I find them?.............
Never had that problem in purchasing power and sail boats. You are not likely going to find the owner unless you research them through the boat HIN, and even if you do, doubt the owner will want to take the time/effort to show you the boat since there is a lot involved with purchasing a boat besides looking at it AND the owner will still have to pay the broker their commission so the owner will want the broker to handle all that.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:46   #11

Boat: Catalina 320

In my harbor there is ONE sailboat listed on Yachtworld, There are SIX brokers who each have a SIX page list of eager buyers , Good Luck.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:47   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Thumbs up Re: Broker or go it alone?

Quote:

Good luck.

Spot on
spaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:52   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Never had that problem in purchasing power and sail boats. You are not likely going to find the owner unless you research them through the boat HIN, and even if you do, doubt the owner will want to take the time/effort to show you the boat since there is a lot involved with purchasing a boat besides looking at it AND the owner will still have to pay the broker their commission so the owner will want the broker to handle all that.
If you are truly serious about finding YOUR boat don't restrict your search to only broker listings. There are many boats listed on individual craigslist postings across the country as well as on eBay, and many other owner-listing web sites. And don't forget when your on the docks look for owner-posted FOR SALE signs on boats in the harbor or postings on bulletin boards around the marinas. However, buying a boat outside your local area can be problematic in terms of viewing it and getting it home.

Don't give up.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:44   #14

Boat: Island Packet 29

Tire kickers ask questions, buyer set up appointments.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:10   #15

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Imho there will always be compromises when buying a sailboat, the well informed buyer knows the degree of compromise better prior to purchase.

What is your experience with sailing?
What is your price range?
Can you fix things/replace things?
You want to sail around the world?
Have you ever been off shore?

Sailboats are work
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker