Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2008, 06:13   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Best Sail Makers

Need to grab a new set of sails and I'm trying to strike a balance between value, durability and performance for offshore cruising. Neil pryde, North Sails, Doyle (or any other) can anyone tell me who has owned multiple different types what they've found for again durability, value and performance?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 06:20   #2

haarstick would be another name were looking at btw....
Old 25-07-2008, 07:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Add Lee sails to your list.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 07:30   #4

Not UK City Island
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 07:39   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Most sailmakers are actually Franchises using the name brands and the price and quality will not be reflected by the name brand. You need to ask around and get feedback from the locals as to who does the best job for the price. The type of sailing you plan to do, racing around the buoys or sailing around the world, will determine weight, cut, and a lot of other factors. That is where a "knowledgeable" sailmaker comes in handy and that might be a local independent loft as opposed to a named brand.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 08:37   #6

I thought a lot of them, such as Neil Pryde, actually had the loft that does the work in China. What's really difficult is trying to figure out exactly how NorDac NSP Premium fabric compares to SuperCruise fabric compares to others. One person in Annapolis I know who loved their sails has Haarstick, which has no local sail loft. Neither does Neil Pryde, they simply have a local salesman who comes to consult and measure. Also a lot of the local sail lofts have people fluidly move from one loft to another.
Old 25-07-2008, 09:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You will probably get better service from the independents. You will probably not end up with a set of cookie cutter sails and are more likely to get a set of sails closer to what you need when a local that you can meet face to face does the work for you. That seems to be the case with most businesses.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 09:27   #8
jzk

We have UK tape drive cruising/performance sails on a Beneteau 47.7. They are 8 years old, and, I think, they are in great shape - even for racing. They are completely spectra with kevlar tapes that are covered by spectra. My UK sales rep keeps calling me to tell me it is time to replace, but they truley are doing fantastic. Use is seasonal in Chicago, not all year around, however.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 10:01   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have got Quantum for my 2 headsails, and very pleased. The cost was a pleasant surprise too.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 11:06   #10
Kai Nui

I have had several sail mods and repairs done by Santa Cruz Sails, in Ca. I can not say enough about how great the service was, as well as the quality. Owner is David, and takes allot of personal pride in his products.
Old 26-07-2008, 06:44   #11

different setting

I was the program director with a student yacht club in Seattle, and we had a, well, mixed bag for our sails and worked with a large number of sail lofts, as well as our own amateur loft.

Most of the brand-name lofts seemed to funnel orders to computer-controlled factories someplace - China, Indonesia, and Thailand are some of the places. Local sailmakers may have measured and designed them, but they only did (at most) the handwork and detailing. The local shops were primarily busy doing the repairs, recuts, etc. So to pick between the brand names you are really picking between who is going to support your sails *after* you buy 'em. The prices, though, are pretty good.

No one brand stood out, but for the various race classes we purchased the most popular loft for that class.

There are a few small sailmakers who still do all the work in-house. They usually specialize in something, and are pretty expensive. Work is usually fabulous, but getting repairs may take longer 'cuz they're so busy.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 07:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Need to grab a new set of sails and I'm trying to strike a balance between value, durability and performance for offshore cruising. Neil pryde, North Sails, Doyle (or any other) can anyone tell me who has owned multiple different types what they've found for again durability, value and performance?
We get all our sails from Quantum in Cape Town and are happy with quality, price and after sales service.
Spectra sails are presently use by us unless a customer wants racing sails
greetings
gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 08:58   #13

It seems many, many sails - including major brand names mentioned above, are all now made in one high tech facility in China. Laminates, string sails - you name it - China Sail Factory turns out sails to match each sailmaker's exact specs - including sailmaker's logo. Delivery guaranteed anywhere in the world 3 weeks from order. It sure is impressive but a long way from the traditional image of a bearded Yankee sitting on the well swept floor of a harborside sail loft handstitching clew rings.

Here's an article in the Oct/Nov 2007 Professional Boatbuilder

Professional BoatBuilder - October/November 2007

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:16   #14

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Mack makes their own, I believe Scott Loomis here in Stuart, FL makes his own, he also carries doyle and some other lines.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:49   #15

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
I just had a set done by UK, I will be a Die Hard UK Halsey customer from here on out. Customer service, amazing. Mr Ulmer is a great guy, and the local sail loft in San Diego, UK So-Cal, who actually did the sails are great folks as well.
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote