Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 09:38   #16

Re: Bay Area Marinas that allow airbnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
. the only air B&B I know oif is at peir 39
nice one I own a slip at pier 39 and they totally welcome liveaboard
sailingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39   #17

Boat: Custom 55

You know, I was giving this some thought. Maybe Marina Bay Yacht Haven in Pt. Richmond might be worth calling. They seemed pretty lax when we were staying there.

Mind you, I have no idea if they would allow this, but off the top of my head, it's the only one of the several we've used in that area that I would call if I were thinking about doing this.

Good luck, TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:41   #18

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Sorta reminds me of the house within the gated community that did short term rentals. And the guy running a business out of his house in the same waterfront neighborhood. I was pres of the hoa at the time. What upset homeowners about these was it was impossible to keep the gate code private. You'd find people fishing from vacant lots or sightseeing riding around at night, many who got the code from the house rental or the business visit. So much for security. The hoa changed the rules to prevent this. Might think about the dock gate code going public as well, and what your dock mates would think of that.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:53   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Agree, the whole thing has to go through the marina. Way too much risk for everyone, otherwise.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
This sounds like a win-win. The harbor master can police the guests (or refuse to rent to them in the first place)
Are you serious? How is the harbor master going to police the guests? Interview every one before rental? At my marina there are 4 gates, and about a thousand boats. Then there's the fact that the harbor master is only there from 9 to 5.

A marina isn't a condo complex, its primary goal is to be a safe and secure place to keep a boat. Renting boats out to random strangers totally compromises that safety and security.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsailor View Post
nice one I own a slip at pier 39 and they totally welcome liveaboard
It's nothing to do with whether they allow liveaboard. It's whether sub-letting is allowed.

The concerns are :

Safety (of the guests, and others)
Security (of the marina and boats)
Behaviour (noise levels, and so on)

Here is a relevant cause from a typical berth contract :

"Neither Boat Owner nor any other person having an interest in the possession, use, occupancy, or utilization of any portion of the Berth shall enter into any lease, sublease, license, concession or other agreement for use, occupancy or utilization of space within the Berth without first obtaining Marina’s prior written consent, which may be withheld in its sole discretion."

I imagine that similar clauses are in all contracts for marinas in the Bay Area. I also imagine that the majority of Airbnb renters do not have written consent, so are subject to eviction.

I encourage all legitimate berthers to keep an eye out for such activity, report it to the marina, and request that the abuser be evicted.
Old 02-02-2016, 19:05   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It's nothing to do with whether they allow liveaboard. It's whether sub-letting is allowed.

The concerns are :

Safety (of the guests, and others)
Security (of the marina and boats)
Behaviour (noise levels, and so on)

Here is a relevant cause from a typical berth contract :

"Neither Boat Owner nor any other person having an interest in the possession, use, occupancy, or utilization of any portion of the Berth shall enter into any lease, sublease, license, concession or other agreement for use, occupancy or utilization of space within the Berth without first obtaining Marina’s prior written consent, which may be withheld in its sole discretion."

I imagine that similar clauses are in all contracts for marinas in the Bay Area. I also imagine that the majority of Airbnb renters do not have written consent, so are subject to eviction.

I encourage all legitimate berthers to keep an eye out for such activity, report it to the marina, and request that the abuser be evicted.
Folks, most of you are technically licensees, not tenants. You have no property rights, only permission from the property owner to park your boat on her land. If a marina wants to start brokering short term rentals for its licensees (subject to local ordinances), there's nothing you can do, either live with it or move your boat.

Apparently, this is being done successfully in Boston.

i honestly don't understand the fear being expressed so vociferously. Maybe it's just Air BnB people are so scared of. Lots of horror stories/rumours being circulated in the San Frncisco Bay Area media.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 19:07   #23

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
I own a nice size sailboat and i use it at most 2 times a month. I would like to make better use of the boat by putting it on . I saw a lot of boat rentals on airbnb but unsure how I can do it. I was wondering if there are marinas in the bay area that allows airbnb?
I was just thinking of this option recently as well. I was going to check with Marina Village in Alameda. I found several airbnb support services that will manage rentals, arrange for daily cleaning, etc. I would of course make sure it is not a violation of my slip rental contract, and if not it is certainly your right to rent your boat regardless of some of the negative responses. I believe airbnb has some pretty strict rules that renters have to follow regardless if it is a boat, condo or house.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 19:31   #24

There have been many questions on this and other boating forums like: "Would you loan your boat out (or rent it out)?" which means leaving the slip. Air bnb would most likely not.

However, it would include the KEYS, would it not? Does everyone have separate/different ignition key from hatchway keys?

Not so much concerned about theft of the entire boat, but rather temptation by guests, "Hey, let's take the boat out," even for a motor around the harbor if not a short sail.

There used to be a number of boats both power & sail doing this in Oakland, but the cockpits were right next to the main walkway in the renovated harbor, not so good for privacy, but great for publicity. Don't know if they're still there. Looked like a company owned or used this string of boats, rather than being sprinkled through the marina.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 19:35   #25

Boat: Tartan 4000 40'

Here's the official page for our Marina's BnB Afloat:
Bed and Breakfast Afloat at Constitution Marina on the water with all the amenities of a modern hotel in Boston!

As you can see, a couple of them are just boxes sitting on a dock. A couple nice boats in there too though.
cabinboybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 20:48   #26

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
You know, I was giving this some thought. Maybe Marina Bay Yacht Haven in Pt. Richmond might be worth calling. They seemed pretty lax when we were staying there.

Mind you, I have no idea if they would allow this, but off the top of my head, it's the only one of the several we've used in that area that I would call if I were thinking about doing this.

Good luck, TJ
We keep our boat in Marina Bay, and I don't see this being welcome by management at all.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 20:56   #27

I seems like most of you are against airbnbing the boat out. If majority of people are against this, how come there are still plenty of boat airbnb in the bay? I dont want to do the sneak airbnb thing, I want to do it legitly and im sure some of you want to do it this way too.
sailingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 23:48   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I seems like most of you are against airbnbing the boat out. If majority of people are against this, how come there are still plenty of boat airbnb in the bay? I dont want to do the sneak airbnb thing, I want to do it legitly and im sure some of you want to do it this way too.
The big problem you have with the idea is that if there is a liveaboard community in your marina, you will be "inviting in" others, for money, without checking it out with the other liveaboards, who will be feeling threatened because of not knowing who these strangers are, and their sometimes documented antisocial behavior---partying till 2 or 3 or 5 a..m. because they paid for it, meantime other folks need their sleep. According to the civility of your neighbors, there are sequelae awaiting you if you follow this plan. Could even include an at the dock sinking.

Do understand that humans don't like someone messing with their territory, and sometimes the responses are visceral, rather than calmly thought out.

a.

PS. I would not do this on a cold day in hell, just so you know how I feel about it.
Old 03-02-2016, 00:19   #29

Wouldn't this make your boat "commercial" and liable to any and all rules for commercial boat use?
Would it be considered a charter even though it doesn't leave the dock?
I know Transport Canada makes a big distinction between commercial and private use.
Interesting grey area, is it a boat or hotel?
I personally wouldn't do it, just sold a spare house because I had no interest in playing the rental game.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Wouldn't this make your boat "commercial" and liable to any and all rules for commercial boat use?
In most senses, probably not. For insurance purposes, though, probably so. That is, if your renters burn the boat to the waterline, and your insurance company finds out that you have been renting the boat out when your policy is only intended for personal, recreational use, they will almost certainly deny the claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Would it be considered a charter even though it doesn't leave the dock?
Considered a charter in what sense? You would not need a captain's license, as you would not be operating the boat. Again, I think the only issue would be the insurance coverage as the boat is no longer being used for personal, recreational purposes.

This, by the way, is also an issue for a lot of people who rent out their homes through airbnb. If you look at your home insurance policy, it almost certainly includes a clause that excludes any commercial use.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas