Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 13:43   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Thumbs down Anyone from Chesapeake here?

Hi, I've recently brought a boat from these guys - HOME PAGE - SAILING EMPORIUM
And, I realize that I'm probably his smallest spending customer, but I'm really having trouble with regards to customer service. Over half my e-mails are never replied to, it took 2 e-mails to get him to send me the boats documents, which he agreed to do after the second time, though that was about 10 days ago, and I still haven't received them. I checked him out as best I could before buying, and he seems legit as far as I can tell, and I'm covered by PayPal if he's not. On the plus side, he is holding the boat for me till I can get there in April, which makes things alot easier for me.
Has anyone else had trouble with these guys?
And can anyone suggest a good nearby (upto 150 miles or so) Marina that does short-term (1-2 month) slips and haul outs for reasonable rate? As my confidence is getting pretty low with this guy.
Old 27-01-2009, 15:07   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi Capt. I've been to the Emporium, and its a high dollar, high class marina. I dont know what you bought, but you can probably trust them. Remember, here on the East coast, this is the time of year that marinas really lay back and relax. At my marina in NJ they haven't worked on ANYTHING in over a month and a half. Dont expect to get anything for free around this area, its high dollar, and one of the nicest towns on the 'peake.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 17:11   #3

Thanks man, yea I noticed the high prices in Chesapeake, but researched the area and it looks nice. Though I may save all but essential jobs for a cheaper area. Unfortunately, to get an insurance quote I need a dry survey, so thats going to cost me a fair bit more than it would elsewhere, but then I can do the anti-fouling myself, so at least I won't have to fork out for that.
Yea the guy seemed nice enough, I was just worried about the lack of response. Thanks for the reassurance. My boat is in my post in the Monohulls forum section if your interested.
Old 27-01-2009, 17:40   #4

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
What part of the bay, it is a big area. I am in the southern bay and can point you to things around here. Don't know the marina you are talking about. Is there a town you can reference?
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 17:45   #5

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
The Emporium is in Rock hall, Md. One of my favorite cruising destinations in the USA!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 18:59   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse View Post
What part of the bay, it is a big area. I am in the southern bay and can point you to things around here. Don't know the marina you are talking about. Is there a town you can reference?
My heading is south eventually anyway, so any pointers in that area will be great, though I'm going to have to haul out before leaving Rock-Hall, and as far as I can tell it won't be any cheaper else-where in Chesapeake. The prices are on the link in my original post. And unfortunately i can't hang around Chesapeake that long as I'm only getting there at the beginning of April, and need to get to Panama before June 1st or my insurance won't be valid...
I hear its great for sailing though...
Old 27-01-2009, 18:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I noticed the high prices in Chesapeake, but researched the area and it looks nice.
Only in the northern Bay. Rich people in Maryland will pay anything to be near the water. Sailing is quite good except in the middle of the summer. If you move down to the fat end you don't have to haul in the winter, the water is bigger, and there is never a crowd.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 19:11   #8

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
You may try Swan Creek Marina if on a budget and need to stay in Rockhall, if not I would suggest a short sail across the bay to where I am, Oak Harbor Marina on Rock Creek, off the Patapsco, Pasadena MD. I think the marina charges $5/ft to haul and pressure wash. They may leave it in the sling for your survey if you schedule it the right time of year, but April will be very busy.

BTW, many of us, including myself, don't haul in the winter around here if there are bubbler's in the marina.

Swan Creek is one of favorites as well, especially for a short overnighter
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 06:02   #9

Thanks guys, Yea Oak Harbour may be an idea, many marina's don't give their rates on their webpage, so I haven't been able to check them all, and I certainly don't have the time or money to phone or e-mail everyone of them, so your advice is of much help thanks. $5/ft is not bad at all, and I wouldn't need to leave her in the sling as I plan to redo th anti-fouling and check/fix any osmosis and the through-hull's. So thats going to be at least a week on the hard for that. And then get the survey done once thats done, so that I get a decent quote for her actual value. If I sail without a dry survey, I can only get in insured for what I paid, which was 1/5 of what she's worth and would barely cover the cost of her sails!
Any other suggestions? (links if possible please, though I can search by name if needed)
Btw. WiFi is also an essential for me, at least at this stage for shopping purposes.
Old 28-01-2009, 07:06   #10

Boat: gozzard 44
Jaz,

I've been at the Sailing Emporium for over 10 years, the same family's owned it for 30 so no need for concern.

As mentioned, the winter is when most activity ceases. TSE shuts down for a few weeks around Christmas when the family takes a long vacation. It's a well run and lovely marina which you'll see for yourself in the Spring. Though prices may be higher than the southern Chesapeake it's a lot cheaper than Annapolis, across the bay.

See you in April!

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:06   #11

Thanks, Ronbo.
I was just getting worried, always hard to spend so much money online and not meet the guy first, but I feel better about it now...
Old 28-01-2009, 09:15   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Send me a pm and I'll give you the contact number of a couple yards that may be able to assist you in a timely manner
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 21:46   #13

Thanks again guys... I have had a response from them yesterday, and it does seem that they're on their holidays.
And I really want to make it clear that I have nothing against them, in fact, things would of been alot harder for me if they hadn't offered to hold the boat without slip fee's till I arrive.
Old 30-01-2009, 22:13   #14

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Hey Captain Jaz, where in the UK are you? I went to Manchester, Sheffield and Bristol last year to see Alabama 3 perform 3 gigs. Do you know of them, the band that did the Sopranos opening song on HBO.

I am on the other side of the bay from Rock Hall, just south of Annapolis. May could find a slip for you in the $100 U.S. a month range if you need. When you come over, we will have to get together. Not to far of a sail and my wife likes to go to Rock Hall. Check out Herrington Harbor north in Tracey's landing,MD. It is a nice large marina with a West Marine(chandlery) onsite that is very handy, I can help you with a discount at the WM on supplies.

C.King
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 06:11   #15

Cool, yea I've lived in Sheffield for a while before. $100 a month or so would certainly be helpful, thanks. They got a dry-dock there?
I'll need a week or so on the hard to get some work done...