Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 14:56   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Anchoring Jerks

For those of you that don't know that anchorage, it is very narrow and has a strong reversing current. Boats bang together there almost every night and chances are very good that there wasn't much room to begin with. It is not good to anchor in there without two anchors because you need to drastically limit your swinging room or else you will either swing into the marked channel, go aground, foul someone on a mooring, or swing into another boat. Been there dozens of times when that has happened. This is a classic two-anchor anchorage, but a lot of people don't do it and they swing into each other. Get a strong wind against the current and the scene can be chaotic with everyone going in different directions. I anchor in another spot, using two anchors because it is very narrow, and avoid all the confusion.

It is also highly discourteous and unseamanlike to take up more of an anchorage than you have to. In other words, if you have out more than 5:1 scope in ordinary weather you are probably taking up more than your fair share of an anchorage. I have been rammed the crazy guy with 200 feet of mostly nylon out in 10 feet of water. He did warn me, but it wasn't until the wind shifted at 2 AM against the current that we had a problem, but it was impossible to give him his ridiculous swinging radius without leaving the harbor.

By the way, long ago I too used to get uptight about people anchoring too close, but I have discovered that sometimes that person is me arriving late to an anchorage and having to squeeze in wherever I can fit. I learned that it is far, far better to try to help someone squeeze in whenever possible, or to try to advise them that there might be a problem later and please to keep an eye out for things and you will too. Putting out fenders down the sides often gives people a good hint. Sure, there are jerks who just don't care, but they are few. Mostly it is folks with too little experience or sometimes just no room in the harbor and nowhere else to go. You might be that person some day, so take pity.
Old 01-11-2011, 15:41   #32

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It is also highly discourteous and unseamanlike to take up more of an anchorage than you have to. In other words, if you have out more than 5:1 scope in ordinary weather you are probably taking up more than your fair share of an anchorage. I have been rammed the crazy guy with 200 feet of mostly nylon out in 10 feet of water.
I think it is discourteous and unseamanlike to drag on to a downwind boat.

200ft in 10ft of water (which would be a 14:1 ratio assuming a 4ft drop off the bowsprit) is obviously excessive but I always use a 7:1 ratio with my mostly nylon rode unless it is dead calm. With mostly chain, you can use less ratio but with nylon we need more swing room.

I typically go as far away as possible, but sometimes that puts me into deeper water which means I have to put out more rode. I also avoid tight anchorages for the same reason. However, now I am putting all chain on so I can start complaining about these swing hogs...
Old 01-11-2011, 15:59   #33

"For the last two anchorages, we have had just that very thing happen. Last night in Beaufort, we were anchored nicely between two neighbors with adequate room to swing since it is a reversing current. We chose one anchor like everyone else. Then when we weren't looking someone came in and anchored right in front of us over our anchor"

Nobody smart uses only one anchor in Taylor's Creek in Beaufort, NC. Most of the boats are locals on a mooring, plus the tide cranks both ways and a Bahamian Moor is the best rig. Maybe if you and your neighbor used a BM you wouldn't swing into each other's boats. That is what I use each and every time i anchor there and I never have a problem.

Kettelwell said it best
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:06   #34

Way too long a story; you have a horn don't you?

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:09   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Last couple of years we've gotten to know a boat from Buffalo that shall remain nameless. Their approach to anchoring was to put out 200 feet of chain no matter what the depth, even in seven feet of water. And this was in some of the crowded anchorages in the Bahamas. They got to be known as "the harbor sweepers". They've sold the boat now so you don't have to worry about them.
Old 01-11-2011, 16:13   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by way-happy View Post
What do you do when you pick a nice place for yourself in the anchorage with adequate and considerate distance from two or three neighbors, and then someone squeezes in when you are not looking and anchors right up your nose?(...)
Capt'n K
Well, when I think the new boat is too close to us, I row over to them, introduce myself and tell them I think they are very close to us, maybe too close. Then I let the msg sink in.

Most sailors will admit they are close, maybe to close, and declare their readiness to move on, should such a need arise.

It is indeed nice when we have space enough to anchor so that each has plenty of room and privacy, but in many places the space is limited and then again each of us has their own concepts of their breathing space.

Who am I to tell others where to anchor or not? The world may be my oyster, but it is not my property.

We have never had any accidents because of other boats anchoring close up.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
They got to be known as "the harbor sweepers".
Maybe that was their technique to maintain privacy...

I think new boaters fall into two groups. Those who don't put out enough scope and those who put out too much. For the latter, they probably think, if 7:1 is good, then 17:1 is better!
Old 01-11-2011, 16:30   #38

Boat: Lagoon 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hud said it a lot better than I was able to. +1
Hud nailed it.
Gotta say I drug by the same boat three times in one night in Nassau,
But I was awake, just no where else to go till sun up.
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Who am I to tell others where to anchor or not? The world may be my oyster, but it is not my property.
I read an article by Fatty Goodlander where he stated if a boat anchored too close to him he would move his boat in order to avoid any conflict. What does that have to do with your quote? Well, nothing really but it was a similar sentiment. Taking a passive attitude could end up moving right out of the anchorage.

I feel very uncomfortable telling someone they are too close and I can almost understand why Goodlander wrote that. However, if one is first in a spot they have reasonable justification to discourage interlopers.

I think it comes down to how that message is communicated. In the few times it has happen to me (on both sides of the equation) I have found the message generally is not communicated well. We are all on the water to relax and enjoy ourselves and the last thing we need is a case of "anchorage rage".
Old 01-11-2011, 16:32   #40

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Been there, suffered from that. Be polite???? It really tests one's mettle reminding somebody they are too close only to have them respond, "well, you can always drop back a little!" My response is always, "like H E L L I will!"

But think a bout it for a minute. How many forums, how many anchoring recommendations in books advise HUGE scopes such as 10:1. Yah just cannot do that today in our crowed harbors. Anchor types.... how many boats have each of you seen with inadequate anchors?? And yes, that includes the Bruce of any size. Bruce at one time was my best anchor until our harbors filled with ell grass.

I find that many poeple just don't give a damn. I just try to stay as far as possible from others.

Another misconception is to drop one's anchor at the stern of the boat in front. That is fine if guy in front has more scope that the new arrival. If not, the new arrival is at risk of banging into the other boat if the wind/current changes 180. Not only is scope in this situation important, but so are the boat lengths.

But anchoring I guess is no worse that just not understanding or even bothering to read the rules, never mind taking a boating/navigation course along with a safety course. And for me at least, I don't support licensing. That will only give Big Brother more authority!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 16:47   #41
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

There's a dynamic that goes on in anchorages. I call it the "Meerkat Syndrome".

A new boat comes into the anchorage and begins looking for the "perfect spot". Then the "Meerkats" pop up--all the anchored boat skippers stick their heads out of the companionway hatch to watch the New Guy, and make sure he doesn't anchor TOO CLOSE!!!

I've done it, have you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meerkat_1390143c.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	33160  
Old 01-11-2011, 16:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
I very courteously call them on VHF and say that "I have 200 ft of chain out and if the wind or current shifts, I will be on top of you." They usually move, if not, I usually move.
Same thing for us, or I will hail another boat and ask what's their scope while easing into an anchorage and BEFORE dropping my hook.
Old 01-11-2011, 16:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
There's a dynamic that goes on in anchorages. I call it the "Meerkat Syndrome".

A new boat comes into the anchorage and begins looking for the "perfect spot". Then the "Meerkats" pop up--all the anchored boat skippers stick their heads out of the companionway hatch to watch the New Guy, and make sure he doesn't anchor TOO CLOSE!!!

I've done it, have you?
just call me a "Meerkat"
Old 01-11-2011, 17:25   #44

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Same thing for us, or I will hail another boat and ask what's their scope while easing into an anchorage and BEFORE dropping my hook.
It's useful to know what they have out, but it is more important to use the proper amount of scope for your boat and gear. In New England we deal with this anchorage dance all the time--it is not uncommon to experience a complete 360-degree windshift a couple of times per day, sometimes violently. Harbors are crowded and everyone has to cooperate a bit--it doesn't pay to get angry at every little anchor encounter or you will be angry a lot of the time. So, one has to take into consideration many things. One solution that works well some places is to anchor behind everyone when you can and then put out a second anchor off your stern. So what if the wind shifts now! Everybody either swings or drags away from you. I find even in the most crowded harbors there is almost always a little more room around the edges, and that is also where I can dinghy out a second anchor into the shallows which will keep me well away from everyone come the wind shift.
Old 01-11-2011, 17:41   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I've done it, have you?
Two or three times this month!

(Out here we don't talk about "Meerkat Syndrome" We call it "prairie dogging.")

Tags
anchor, anchoring