Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 05:43   #46

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Alcohol consumption whilst at anchor

Except if you are exercising the privileges of a USCG Captain (completely different if you are being paid as a professional Captain), I believe it would fall under state statutes such as Florida's. I certainly don't know all the state laws but almost all of them state "operating a vessel". In fact I have a good friend that told me they were at a sand bar party in Florida having a very good time anchored when they noticed a FWC officer watching them from across the bay. When the tide came in and everyone was leaving, he called SeaTow (he is a member) who gladly towed him with all his inebriated friends back to the dock much to the disappointment of the FWC.

Florida
327.35 Boating under the influence; penalties; “designated drivers.”—
(1) A person is guilty of the offense of boating under the influence and is subject to punishment as provided in subsection (2) if the person is operating a vessel within this state and:
(a) The person is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that the person’s normal faculties are impaired;
(b) The person has a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 or more grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood; or
(c) The person has a breath-alcohol level of 0.08 or more grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath.
(2)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), subsection (3), or subsection (4), any person who is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) shall be punished:
1. By a fine of:
a. Not less than $500 or more than $1,000 for a first conviction.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 05:54   #47

Boat: Camano Troll

It's easy to forget that these impaired boating laws are designed to protect everybody including ourselves and our loved ones.
Old 29-11-2016, 06:22   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I am going to guess that there are more sailors out there agree with this than are willing to admit it.
We don't drink a single drop underway, but it's not dogma for us. It's rather just the mood and style of being underway. I don't think a glass of wine or two would do any harm, but we just don't do it.

Another reason is it gives us at least some reason for being glad to put into port. The prospect of the cocktails in port after a long passage helps keep away the Moitissier Syndrome.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:35   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I don't get the whole "never a single drop underway" thing.

Is booze like your Kryptonite and once you've had a taste, you can't stop yourself until the bottle has been completely drained and you are wasted?

Or is it just a holy roller thing people say so they can feel pious and consider themselves superior to others?

Seems like with most things in life moderation is the key. Know your limits. Most people under normal conditions can responsibly enjoy a drink or two without being impaired.

BACtrack Go Keychain Breathalyzer White BT-KC20 - Best Buy

My attitude towards alcohol consumption changed after living in Germany, many drank lightly while on the job there with no issues, of course they drank just a little, even operated heavy machinery while drinking.
The only falling down drunks I remember ever seeing over there, were Americans.
Myself I don't get drunk, haven't for years. As a kid I did, but as I have gotten older, I can't get drunk. Long before I get drunk I get a headache and don't feel good, so I stop as who wants a headache?
I guess I have developed an alcohol allergy or something. Also as alcoholism runs in my family I guess I'm a little paranoid about it too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:39   #50

Boat: Camano Troll

I had to quit drinking alcohol for medical reasons about six years ago. I miss it but I have found out that I don't need alcohol to have a good time and a good life.
Old 29-11-2016, 06:42   #51

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My attitude towards alcohol consumption changed after living in Germany, many drank lightly while on the job there with no issues, of course they drank just a little, even operated heavy machinery while drinking.
The only falling down drunks I remember ever seeing over there, were Americans.
Myself I don't get drunk, haven't for years. As a kid I did, but as I have gotten older, I can't get drunk. Long before I get drunk I get a headache and don't feel good, so I stop as who wants a headache?
I guess I have developed an alcohol allergy or something. Also as alcoholism runs in my family I guess I'm a little paranoid about it too.
For me it really depends. If I am the responsible party on a week long charter with 3-4 non-sailors with me, then I only have a drink or a few drinks when we get settled for the evening (yes...at anchor too). But not if the weather is forecast to be unsettled or there is any reason to think that I may need to be of completely clear of mind.

Now fishing on my skiff on the lakes here or the coast of NC with a buddy, well that is a whole different story. We never get crazy but we do have fun.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:44   #52

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

[QUOTE=fatherchronica;2267386]I really don't drink much anymore, but I have seen Canadians falling off their boats in Mexico.

How do you know they were Canadian? Did you ask them or are you making a judgmental assumption? Were they falling off their boat because they were drunk or just going for a swim while at anchor?

You really don't know do you?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:49   #53

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
When anchored, you can never be sure you won't have to operate the boat on short notice. It's not like being docked at a marina.

Law or no law, it's best to stay sober when anchored. And you might need another sober person as well to handle the anchor.
I concur and I make a beautiful rum beverage. As in some of the other instances, unless you are alone in the anchorage, it's not just your own behaviour or level of inebriation involved; it's the cumulative state of disorder that can lead to issues. You may have a Spade two sizes over down with 7:1 chain out when the wind pipes up, but Buddy in the powerboat may have something that reflects his unfamiliarity with the forces at play. He has to be alert and you have to be sober enough to deal with his failure, should it occur. In addition, you have to consider, should you be the designated skipper, that you have a responsibility shading at times into a legal (or perhaps civil) requirement to keep your crew alive, so they can't be staggeringly drunk, untethered and too close to the lifeline gate, either.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 07:01   #54
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Is booze like your Kryptonite and once you've had a taste, you can't stop yourself until the bottle has been completely drained and you are wasted?

Or is it just a holy roller thing people say so they can feel pious and consider themselves superior to others?

Seems like with most things in life moderation is the key. Know your limits. Most people under normal conditions can responsibly enjoy a drink or two without being impaired.

Exactly.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:19   #55

I live in Florida USA & recently read re alcohol consumption at anchor that it is illegal to overindulge at anchot (parameters??). The rational iwas that if in a marina one is tied to a pier/dock & doesn't move.. At anchor the possibility of dragging or even loss of anchor (???) means in some contorted manner that one is potentially underway! It was termed "DUA" (Drunk Under Anchor) and according to the post, the captain could be charged with it.

From 'The Hull Truth"
"Originally Posted by dahlbebop
There are many things to think about here. The captain of the boat, especially a house boat is probably going to be the only one on the boat that proficiently knows how to operate the boat and has first hand knowledge of the systems involved to operate that boat. I bet ninety percent of you could not even figure out the anchor system on my dads houseboat. Also the captain/owner of the vessel is also responsible for any accidents/injuries etc of other individuals on that vessel.

Being at anchor is not like sitting in your home or sitting tied up to your dock. For one, your boat is constantly moving around that anchor! What if your to drunk to notice that little boat that anchored right next to you got smashed by your swinging boat. What if you have some idiot come by and slice your anchor line with his prop!? There are many senerios, I could go on and on. I have seen it way to often in my area, where the captain is hammered, then someone goes in drunk swimming, cuts themselves up or hits there head etc. Or gets trapped between two boats. The captain is in no way able to help, or pull anchor or go for help because he is drunk. These aren't ifs, and or butts. These things do happen!

Due I think the law should be no tolerance, no I don't. But the captain or spouse should be able to move there (Temporary home) at all times if anchored! In the case of anchor slipping, storms, accidents, emergencies, another boat heading towards them with a drunk driver, etc. etc. etc.

While docked in a houseboat you are a legal resident if you have it registered that way! At dock you should be able to drink as much as you want, just not drive afterwards.

Be happy you don't live in Kentucky, you are not allowed to have alchohol beverages on the vessel period!!!!! This will probably be the law for everyone eventually.

Now, that being said, a houseboat here is allowed to have alchohol on board if it is registered as a second home or home which most are for that exact reason and a tax right off!

I believe the captain should take responsibility for his actions! By actions I mean by owning a boat you take the responsibility that goes along with that boat! And you also take the responsibility of the actions of other drunks on your vessel! Happy Drinking!

Think I'll go have a cold one and mull this over......."
Talisman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:24   #56

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

So then, common sense is dead. Skippers are no longer the law on their own boats. And again "safety" is being legislated, as is "morality", & so called "good behavior".
Yet some of you guys are happy about this? Perhaps the playground equipment needs yet more padding so that everyone is "safe". Though thanks to it, the kids will be risk averse their whole lives, & have abysmal judgement due to same. Me, I'm thinking that that's a bad trend.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:37   #57

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Just like I and my spouse wear our lifejackets when underway (auto-inflates), and we clip onto jacklines when moving around on deck at night (while the off-watch crew is sleeping), so too does refraining from intoxicants while underway make sense to me. I’m not speaking as an abstainer, or someone who doesn’t love a good beer or nice glass or wine. It just makes sense to avoid intoxicants when one slip can lead to death.

One or two drinks will not significantly impair most adults, but it’s equally true that any amount of alcohol will lead to some level of impairment. It’s basic chemistry and biology. So, just like I don’t need to drink Coke every day, it’s an easy choice not to drink alcohol.

If our boat carried three or more crew, instead of just the two of us, it would be a non-issue (much like clipping into jacklines in calm weather). But when there are only two on board, which essentially means solo-sailing when on passage, it’s just a simple precaution that is easy to do.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:00   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
A "proper watch" shall be kept at all times.....
I think if you live aboard full time....you simply need to make decisions that satisfy yourself.

If you have a problem with handling booze, it doesn't matter where you are....you still have that problem!

I have a very low tolerance to alcohol, so as a result, I mostly have a beer or wine with meals and will sip a watered down beer all night to be social.(lots of ice)

As I am responsible for the safety of guests and boat, if they are cruising on my boat and they make me nervous about how drunk they get,...they never get invited back!

I don't make rules and can enjoy a beer with lunch underway, or a sundowner at a beautiful sunset.

Rules, simply mean you don't trust your guests or yourself with what should be obvious choices.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:42   #59

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

A few weeks back the guy anchored next to me got a boating under the influence ticket. He was falling down drunk as usual when the uniforms came through at night and boarded every boat that was not displaying an anchor light. They even warned us the were coming through a few weeks earlier. The guy left the next day for the Keys without checking the weather, no wind, so he spent five days drifting down.

I was the only manned boat with an anchor light on and was not part of it. All others got tickets and a boarding check.

Nothing against drinking for me, within reason. I choose not to drink while underway. Guests on for a daysail are welcome to, but if they get drunk and start laying all up on the winches they don't get another ride.

Sometimes I'll pop a top after the sails are down and moving to anchor or the marina. A couple of brews in the late evening are enjoyed from time to time. My budget doesn't allow daily consumption nor is it important to me.
Old 29-11-2016, 11:08   #60

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
So then, common sense is dead. Skippers are no longer the law on their own boats. And again "safety" is being legislated, as is "morality", & so called "good behavior".
Yet some of you guys are happy about this? Perhaps the playground equipment needs yet more padding so that everyone is "safe". Though thanks to it, the kids will be risk averse their whole lives, & have abysmal judgement due to same. Me, I'm thinking that that's a bad trend.
The playground equipment thing is pretty sad; I've seen some pretty restricted/padded pieces of equipment in recent years. I really feel lucky that there were no restrictions when I was a kid. Otherwise I would never have been able to get that swing up as high as I could before I went flying out at the apex (intentionally!) into the sawdust.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, consumption