Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 19:22   #1

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22
"Ahoy"? Greeting/hailing in an anchorage

Kind of a newbie question here. So, you're sailing/motoring into an anchorage. Could be one boat there, or fifty, but you want to hail a given yacht to ask about bottom condition, scope being used, where the customs office/tiki bar is, whatever.

What is the polite way to get their attention? Obviously VHF would be first, but if they're at anchor and it's turned off?

We're assuming no one is on deck, of course, but there are definitely (or at least presumably) people on board, and it's daytime.

What do you do??
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 19:25   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: "Ahoy"? Greeting/hailing in an anchorage

If it's an anchoring situation you motor by close enough to have a brief conversation.
If it's a question about shoreside info you dinghy up and ask.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:37   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dixiedawg,

You're right. You go alongside, a safe way off the anchored vessel, and call out, loudly, "Ahoy, (whatever the name is of the ) vessel". Eventually someone will come up to see what all the commotion's about--don't be concerned with their lack of clothing-- You ask how much chain or rode they have out. But the words are, "Ahoy, name of vessel?" and, normally, someone will appear. Usually friendly.

Ann
Old 04-05-2018, 04:41   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
don't be concerned with their lack of clothing
Sounds as though you speak from experience.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:47   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Body language says a lot too (maybe not as much as lack of clothing...)

If you see someone on deck, watching you come in, they're approachable. If they wave and smile, they want you to swing by. If they bury their head deeper into a book rather than make eye contact, they'd just as soon you didn't, but will probably still answer a legitimate question. If they scurry below to avoid you, then don't approach unless it's really important.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:02   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

If you're pulling up next to me you may also say "Ahoy, I have lots of rum and wine!" That will definitely get my to assist as sure as water is wet.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:52   #7

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

First of all, good plan is to consult the cruising guide or sailing directions to find out what the suggested method of anchoring is, depths, bottom quality, and depending on the weather, what is the preferred area to anchor.

The person you are taking to may not know , lets say, that you should be anchoring bow and stern, or bahamian moor, or not in the fully packed mooring field, or it is a deep anchorage and you are going to need 300 feet of rode.

Ahoy, ( name of vessel ) is just fine. IN fact most sailors appreciate it.

When they are on deck, and I greet the vessels master. ...

: Good morning , SKIPPER " or what ever greeting for time of day is appropriate.

Respectful, and professional. No matter what I need to communicate, I always toss , " Skipper " into the greeting.

On shore, when I need anything, I always greet the person with a "good afternoon ", or whatever. Dock staff, shops, restaurants , bars, etc. Then pause a bit, the local will generally reply in kind, and then state my request...

" Good day ! " Reply comes back. " Could you help us with directions to the Rum Shop ? " Respect goes a long way, instead of demanding.

" Thank you, appreciate you help . "

Demanding this , that or whatever, from jump street, does not illicit the mood to help you out.

Honest respect and politeness is contagious, and helps to make friends . We feel good, and they feel good.

Just FYI.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:08   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I can only speak for my neighborhood, but I’d say the vast majority of folks will really appreciate you hailing them in any way to confirm the local norms and how much scope they have out, and what your plans are. Around here most folks are anchored bow and stern so anchor locations are really important..
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:50   #9

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to practice your Ocker Strine.

Try: "Cooey, Cooey, Ahoy mate, Bloody great day for sailing, we're just in for a few tinnies, owmuchunderyerthere?"

When the couple appear on deck try: "nicelookinsheilayergotthere mate, gottagetoneofthemmeself, fancy a barbie later?"

If they smile, try: "owbartwecumlongsideyeransaveputtinthebloodyukdarn ?"
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 14:41   #10

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
This sounds like an excellent opportunity to practice your Ocker Strine.

Try: "Cooey, Cooey, Ahoy mate, Bloody great day for sailing, we're just in for a few tinnies, owmuchunderyerthere?"

When the couple appear on deck try: "nicelookinsheilayergotthere mate, gottagetoneofthemmeself, fancy a barbie later?"

If they smile, try: "owbartwecumlongsideyeransaveputtinthebloodyukdarn ?"
Nicely said Eh ??
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 15:32   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quite so, tee hee, wiping the last of tea from my morning cuppa off my screen.

Ann
Old 04-05-2018, 16:21   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

When I had a smaller boat (a C&C25), when entering a calm anchorage I would douse the sails, or shut off the engine. Then I could "skull" about with just the tiller. I could pass by the sterns of the already anchored boats and call out an "ahoy" as I drifted quietly by. Usually I would ask about the depth, but also ask "where do you think I should anchor". This cleverly devised question would often yield the true info I desired. A response of "way over there" told me they weren't too friendly. But more often than not I was given more info than required, and invitations to visit each other once anchored were often exchanged. I've been sailing my area long enough that I've seen all the islands and all the beaches. Now I'm interested in meeting the nice people who venture here and hearing their stories.

Later, usually after supper, I would take a tour of the anchorage in my little dinghy fishing for conversation. The hardest thing was to invite others on to my boat. It was small, it was old, it was not fancy. But no one cared. "Come over for a drink" I would call out jovially, "I've got tepid water...its very good, I bottle it myself!" And somehow they knew to bring their own cold beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Duck 039.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	169196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joshua Sailing 045.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	169197  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joshua Sailing 050.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	169198  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 19:22   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
When I had a smaller boat (a C&C25), when entering a calm anchorage I would douse the sails, or shut off the engine. Then I could "skull" about with just the tiller. I could pass by the sterns of the already anchored boats and call out an "ahoy" as I drifted quietly by. Usually I would ask about the depth, but also ask "where do you think I should anchor". This cleverly devised question would often yield the true info I desired. A response of "way over there" told me they weren't too friendly. But more often than not I was given more info than required, and invitations to visit each other once anchored were often exchanged. I've been sailing my area long enough that I've seen all the islands and all the beaches. Now I'm interested in meeting the nice people who venture here and hearing their stories.

Later, usually after supper, I would take a tour of the anchorage in my little dinghy fishing for conversation. The hardest thing was to invite others on to my boat. It was small, it was old, it was not fancy. But no one cared. "Come over for a drink" I would call out jovially, "I've got tepid water...its very good, I bottle it myself!" And somehow they knew to bring their own cold beer.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 19:43   #14

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
also ask "where do you think I should anchor".
Brilliant.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 22:11   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Crashing into them usually gets their full attention. He he. Ever seen the YouTube video of the credit card skippers in crowded anchorages in the Caribbean? It is amazing how crazed people can become.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor