Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 14:19   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: 51ft Sail Boat Lazy Jack and Stack Pack

The screen shot I posted from the report showed the criticism from the report, and it is not the first report to criticize the use of auto pilot in such circumstances. The report also suggested controlling the boom from the mast.
I posted the link in a previous comment to the report if it helps. I thought you said you read it? They could have slung a rope over the boom near the mast then worked it forwards and brace it, multiple lines if needed.
I wasn't intending to hijack this thread, but the guy previous to me was so obviously wrong that I had to say something.
Anyway, like I said, I will provide a more detailed analysis when I can, then we can enjoy arguing over that if you like.

Edit - It is a well known fact (or so I thought) that a human helmsman can cope better to rough conditions than an autopilot, as they are able to preemptively act, rather than reactively. Again, the report states this, and other reports too. So yes, I am saying that everyone who chooses to not hand steer in these conditions is wrong - surely we can agree that just because people get away with doing something doesn't prove that it is the right thing to do?
And what was the size of their crew? 6? They had no excuses.
Old 07-06-2020, 14:35   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
The screen shot I posted from the report showed the criticism from the report, and it is not the first report to criticize the use of auto pilot in such circumstances. The report also suggested controlling the boom from the mast.
I posted the link in a previous comment to the report if it helps. I thought you said you read it? They could have slung a rope over the boom near the mast then worked it forwards and brace it, multiple lines if needed.
I wasn't intending to hijack this thread, but the guy previous to me was so obviously wrong that I had to say something.
Anyway, like I said, I will provide a more detailed analysis when I can, then we can enjoy arguing over that if you like.

Edit - It is a well known fact (or so I thought) that a human helmsman can cope better to rough conditions than an autopilot, as they are able to preemptively act, rather than reactively. Again, the report states this, and other reports too. So yes, I am saying that everyone who choose to not hand steer in these conditions is wrong.

They could have slung a line over the boom? ROTFL. You’re an active cruiser and certainly can understand how difficult if not impossible that would have been in those conditions.

The autopilot recommendation does not say to not use the autopilot, except if risk of autopilot failure cannot be mitigated. Once again, modern autopilots are perfectly capable of steering in challenging conditions and certainly at night can steer better than a human. During the day, if fatigue is not an issue, then a human can steer better, for a short while. On race boats the helms rotate every hour or so - not tenable for a cruising crew.

Enough of these little snipes. Let’s move this to the correct thread and you can present your case in full.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 14:38   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
They could have slung a line over the boom? ROTFL. You’re an active cruiser and certainly can understand how difficult if not impossible that would have been in those conditions.

The autopilot recommendation does not say to not use the autopilot, except if risk of autopilot failure cannot be mitigated. Once again, modern autopilots are perfectly capable of steering in challenging conditions and certainly at night can steer better than a human. During the day, if fatigue is not an issue, then a human can steer better, for a short while. On race boats the helms rotate every hour or so - not tenable for a cruising crew.

Enough of these little snipes. Let’s move this to the correct thread and you can present your case in full.
Clearly it is not possible to have a reasonable argument with you. You didn't read the report and are just spouting opinions at me and failing to adress any of my points. Don't think I didn't notice you trying to needlessly target me on other threads, incorrectly there too. Yes, I am saying it is possible to control a boom with ropes. What do you use? Really...
And their doing so was literally a matter of life and death, it's pretty disgusting that you would not even have tried.
Blocked.
Old 07-06-2020, 14:49   #34

HI, i enjoyed your response and if not to much troble would like to see a few picture of your system . Thank You
Fast Tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:51   #35

Boat: Hunter 50

Presently own 2011 Hunter 50 tall rig with full batten main and stack pak. Easy to sail using electric halyard winch for a 68 year old man who is not in fighting shape. Contact "Lee Sails" in Hong Kong for a reasonable quote on new stack pak.

A few years ago I inquired with Selden about changing my rig to furling. Total price with new sail was around $26,000.00 installed.
SemperAvanti41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 15:27   #36

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama

On our high performance 47' catamaran, we use a pair of light weight welded aluminum attachments to either side of the boom, forming a "boom cradle". Lazy jacks attach to the aluminum attachments, so that our fully battened main "autoflakes" as it is doused. I apologize for the poor picture which was taken to show the deterioration of our mainsail at the hands of Hurricane Harvey. I further apologize for my technical ineptitude in rotating the photo 90 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mainsail4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	217210  

Tags
boat, sail