Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2010, 08:32   #1

Where to Leave our Boat in Martinique for Some Months ?

Hallo, Does anybody know of a safe mooring/anchorage around Martinique, where I can leave my boat for some months. I heard of a French guy who looks after boats for a small fee. Anyone else know of him. Thanks
Kaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 08:45   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
A lot of boats are left on anchor at Marin.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 09:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Cruiser's Guide To Martinique ~ by Jerome Nouel

If you can endure the very clumsy transliteration (Fr to Eng), this is a very comprehensive guide.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 23:57   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The thing is that Martinique kind of reached top of the list for their turn during hurricane season. They still didn't clean up all the wrecks from the last one at Marin....

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 00:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The thing is that Martinique kind of reached top of the list for their turn during hurricane season. They still didn't clean up all the wrecks from the last one at Marin....

cheers,
Nick.
Hallo Nick, Where would you recommend to leave a boat on anchor over the hurricane season.

Thanks
Kaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:49   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaly View Post
Hallo Nick, Where would you recommend to leave a boat on anchor over the hurricane season.
Hoi Kaly,

In the Caribbean? Only one country is really safe and that is Panama. But when the anchoring gear is perfect I would accept some risk and leave it in Curacao (Spanish Waters) also. But we have been in the mangroves there with a hurricane warning too so not 100% safe.

That is about it, very little choice. If you include marina's there is more choice (like Trinidad, Guatemala or even Havana). If you haul out there is lots of choice.

I would anchor in many places but not leave the boat there while flying out; i.e. be able to get out of there within a day if needed.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 11:57   #7
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
mm i agree - hurrican season risky, and the risk being not merely that your own boat will let go - but that another will let go and hit it, with nobody on board to do anything. Little man ashore might have other boats to look after, but it depends. The old hands in martinique/marin say that the thing to do if hurricane comes is to drive the boat into the mangroves, doesn't sound a bad idea. But I'd take it south to grenada or trinidad or tobago. Whatever you do, get all the canvas and sails off.
mct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Martinique