Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 11:09   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Venice, FL anchorage for a few weeks

We'll be arriving Venice, Florida in the next week or so (currently waiting on the crazy cold weather in Pensacola!) to visit with relatives for a couple of weeks. We'll be staying on the boat.

I'm looking at options for anchoring and wonder if anyone has any ideas? Skipper Bob's suggests an extremely small anchorage north of the Yacht Club as about the only option. Also suggested is Lemon Bay 12 miles south.

If I am able to anchor at either of these options, is there a way to tie up the dinghy to go for daily visits away from the boat?

And are there options I'm missing?
Old 08-12-2017, 14:13   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Venice, FL anchorage for a few weeks

Anchoring options are pretty limited in Venice. There is a municipal dock there where you can probably tie up (better yet, lock up) for short trips into town, but I dont know current policy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 16:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have always been under the impression that Venice wasn’t cruiser friendly, so I’d stay a night at the Marina and move on.
Things may have changed though, but it was my understanding that soon after you anchor the local police would visit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:34   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The "anchorage" is across(east) from the Yacht Club and inside the main channel. It is an anchorage, in name only, with room for only a few boats to anchor safely. It is effected on the turn of the tides and your boat will dance around quite a bit from the current. We once dropped the hook there out of necessity and before nightfall boats continued to come in and anchor. One boat anchored less than 10 feet from us and refused to move. There was a public pier that was free, at the time, for shallow draft vessels that filled up immediately and had room for two boats at best. The marinas in the channel are next to a restaurant which is very noisy and there's a chance to pick up a rat because of the garbage bins. I don't know why anyone would want to anchor in Venice. Especially for three weeks. But, that's me. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

IMHO the best option in Venice is The Crows Nest, small marina with limited slips, but an awesome pub and resturant. A great option if the rates are not crazy by now (I was last there a long time ago).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:02   #6

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Run south to Lemon Bay and anchor opposite near Indian Mound boat ramp, or run north to Palmetto and anchor in Manatee River. Both offer easy access to shore for grocery, rental car, etc
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40   #7

Boat: Hunter 30

Anchorage in Venice is poor as others have said. You might consider Sarasota's mooring field.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 06:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
IMHO the best option in Venice is The Crows Nest, small marina with limited slips, but an awesome pub and resturant. A great option if the rates are not crazy by now (I was last there a long time ago).

Also about a mile south on the ICW is Fishermans Wharf Marina. Concrete floating docks. Walking distance to Ace hardware, auto parts store and groceries.

But forget about anchoring in Venice. There's a Venice PD water cop that's also a very well known hard azz. Not a friendly place.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor