Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 06:12   #286
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: St Lucia murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Fair enough. I'm trying to think in terms of safety (or at least less danger) in numbers. It needn't involve lights. I still think that if one boat in five (or pick your number under 10, say) clearly showed a watch being kept, there would be a "halo effect" around that boat. Thieves don't generally like to be seen or to encounter complications.
The only time I've shared an anchor watch was in Cape Verde with 3 boats sharing with a sweep around with a searchlight ever 5 minutes or so to show people were watching. No boat lights involved, just a flash around the water and the land to let them know people were up and alert.
Old 25-01-2014, 07:28   #287

There is a similar discussion going on in "that other forum". As I am planning a Caribbean itinerary, I took the time (3 hours) to come to the best conclusion I could about safety.

The Safest and Most Dangerous Caribbean Islands

Safest Islands:
Anguilla
Cayman Islands
Dominica
Guadaloupe
Montserrat
St Martin (French)
Turks and Caicos Islands

Worst Islands:
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
St Lucia
St Vincent
Trinidad

You can follow my analysis process on my blog. Feel free to leave a comment!
Old 25-01-2014, 08:03   #288

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
The only time I've shared an anchor watch was in Cape Verde with 3 boats sharing with a sweep around with a searchlight ever 5 minutes or so to show people were watching. No boat lights involved, just a flash around the water and the land to let them know people were up and alert.
Yes, that's the sort of thing I mean: making it clear that someone in the group of boats is keeping an eye open.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 25-01-2014, 09:04   #289

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
There is a similar discussion going on in "that other forum". As I am planning a Caribbean itinerary, I took the time (3 hours) to come to the best conclusion I could about safety.

The Safest and Most Dangerous Caribbean Islands

Safest Islands:
Anguilla
Cayman Islands
Dominica
Guadaloupe
Montserrat
St Martin (French)
Turks and Caicos Islands

Worst Islands:
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
St Lucia
St Vincent
Trinidad

You can follow my analysis process on my blog. Feel free to leave a comment!
Anguilla is not that safe, I felt we got "clipped" on a cab ride. Probably paid an extra 10 bucks.

We were going to spend one night there and ended up spending a week anchored in Road Bay. What a great place.
Old 25-01-2014, 10:17   #290
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
!If there was a sensor that automaticaly set off security lights should anything bigger than a swan get within 2 metres of the boat.........what sort of drain it could have on the batteries?

Great idea but there maybe an easier way, cheaper too.
My automatic dusk to dawn anchor light is above the cockpit.
It would take a game theif to expose himself to the light getting into ro to the cockpit and then to cut it. A crook will just go to one of the many boats with dark cockpits. Also the cocpit light clearly shows my armoured companionway breaze thru door

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post

Safest Islands:
Anguilla
Cayman Islands
Dominica
Guadaloupe
Montserrat
St Martin (French)
Turks and Caicos Islands

Worst Islands:
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
St Lucia
St Vincent
trinidad
Into worst islands I would add Dominica. Add Haiti. Add Jamaica.

Into the best islands I would add St Barts where the only criminals have their own superyachts!
And St martin Dutch Side, for cruisers is safe.
Add BVIs
Add Guadaloupe
Add Antigua
Add Stacia, Saba, St Kitts, Nevis (but watch out for Hud!!!)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 25-01-2014, 10:26   #291
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

. Also the cocpit light clearly shows my armoured companionway breaze thru door

How do you lock from the inside & how quickly could you or anyone else inside open in an emergency? And do you lock hatches or have some sort of bars to stop entry, could this not create a saftey hazard in an emergency??? Sorry if these sound stupid questions but im close to getting my 1st boat & am taking the security side of things seriously!
Old 25-01-2014, 10:26   #292
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
...Into the best islands I would add St Barts where the only criminals have their own superyachts!
And St martin Dutch Side, for cruisers is safe.
Add BVIs
Add Guadaloupe
Add Antigua
Add Stacia, Saba, St Kitts, Nevis (but watch out for Hud!!!)
Arrrrrh, Matey! I'll slit your throat from ear to ear, I will!

But I can be persuaded not to with the offer of a cold Carib or two.
Old 25-01-2014, 10:33   #293

The full list is on my blog, but I didn't even bother with Haiti or Jamaica........
Old 25-01-2014, 11:01   #294
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
. Also the cocpit light clearly shows my armoured companionway breaze thru door

How do you lock from the inside & how quickly could you or anyone else inside open in an emergency? And do you lock hatches or have some sort of bars to stop entry, could this not create a saftey hazard in an emergency??? Sorry if these sound stupid questions but im close to getting my 1st boat & am taking the security side of things seriously!
They are not stupid questions at all.

The companionway hatch locks on the inside with a padlock and I keep the key on the inside top step just next to a canister of capsicum spray thats velcro'ed to the bulkhead. The spray can squirt downwind into the cockpit through the companionway hatch which should make the cockpit untenable to stay.

The other hatches dont have bars but are locked except for the two above my head in my cabin. Next to my head I have another canister of capsicum but a gell that can be squirted into the wind out of the hatches.

There are five hatches apart from the companionway that I can get out in case of fire.

I also have a smoke detector.

Other tricks:
A large conister of gell, gang warefare size, of capsicum.
Two smoke flares. The idea is that at night orange smoke appears opaque and these can be put into the cockpit from the small window in the aft cabin, or out a forward hatch and thus blow back into the cockpit. Wont hurt anyone but would add to changing the mind of an attacker.
Flare gun that can be fired through the companionway hatch or up out of a forward hatch.
I leave the VHF on at night on the cruiser frequency, or if thats busy i turn the volume down, just so its on and I can hit the DSC button.
I have AIS on all the time so in distress I am easier to find.

It may all sound like overkill but i want to avoid the photo below

Note the towel on the ground below the companionway steps must be covering a lot of blood too.
The photo comes from the attack on the "Rainbow" in St Vincent in october last year. The injuries sustained by the two people were horrific. Utterly horrific. It was a very unusual attack as it occurred at 8:30 pm while the occupants were below having dinner. They think a cockpit light would have either prevented the attack or let them know someone was in the cockpit.

The important thing is to not let these security thing affect your cruising, just be a bit aware and take so,e simple precautions.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 25-01-2014, 11:10   #295
cruiser

Mark,

I'm very impressed with your security, and hope others will listen to your suggestions. Add an SOG Spirit knife to the end of a boat hook or broom handle as Minaret suggests, and I think you'll have it covered even better... a spear which can be thrust through your companionway grill.

Ken
Attached Images

Old 25-01-2014, 11:12   #296

VTSailguy,
Well you made a great choice in your offshore boat, tough as nails and built like a tank. We sailed offshore for years in a Tartan 44 (the one that they built 7 of) Ran into a sistership in the South Pacific, what are the odds? You guys will have a ball, read parts of your blog, good job!
Old 25-01-2014, 11:19   #297

Thanks Rob!

Yes, the Tartan 41 is a great boat, a "racing sherman tank" to quote Practical Sailor!
Old 25-01-2014, 11:22   #298

Boat: Leopard 50 Catamaran

Again we keep talking about crimes rates and safe places. Regardless of either Secure yourself and your boat. Have a plan. Ours is anchor in groups. Meet those anchored near you. Leave deck and cockpit lights on. I also leave one cabin light on so we look awake. Lock doors securely. And if it's in you have a self defense plan.
Old 25-01-2014, 14:03   #299
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Look at the picture that Mark posted again. Let it sink in that this is what they do to you.

You may want to reconsider surrendering to these butchers and you may want to reconsider going to these places.

Our countermeasures are much like those posted by Mark. I have bear spray for it's massive volume and range and I have the Mossberg for last resort.

Key is that the reinforced entrance wins you the time to wake up and execute the counter plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
They are not stupid questions at all.

The companionway hatch locks on the inside with a padlock and I keep the key on the inside top step just next to a canister of capsicum spray thats velcro'ed to the bulkhead. The spray can squirt downwind into the cockpit through the companionway hatch which should make the cockpit untenable to stay.

The other hatches dont have bars but are locked except for the two above my head in my cabin. Next to my head I have another canister of capsicum but a gell that can be squirted into the wind out of the hatches.

There are five hatches apart from the companionway that I can get out in case of fire.

I also have a smoke detector.

Other tricks:
A large conister of gell, gang warefare size, of capsicum.
Two smoke flares. The idea is that at night orange smoke appears opaque and these can be put into the cockpit from the small window in the aft cabin, or out a forward hatch and thus blow back into the cockpit. Wont hurt anyone but would add to changing the mind of an attacker.
Flare gun that can be fired through the companionway hatch or up out of a forward hatch.
I leave the VHF on at night on the cruiser frequency, or if thats busy i turn the volume down, just so its on and I can hit the DSC button.
I have AIS on all the time so in distress I am easier to find.

It may all sound like overkill but i want to avoid the photo below

Note the towel on the ground below the companionway steps must be covering a lot of blood too.
The photo comes from the attack on the "Rainbow" in St Vincent in october last year. The injuries sustained by the two people were horrific. Utterly horrific. It was a very unusual attack as it occurred at 8:30 pm while the occupants were below having dinner. They think a cockpit light would have either prevented the attack or let them know someone was in the cockpit.

The important thing is to not let these security thing affect your cruising, just be a bit aware and take so,e simple precautions.

Mark

Old 25-01-2014, 14:27   #300

Boat: Leopard 50 Catamaran

Jedi.... I will anchor next to you anytime
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, St Lucia