Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2006, 20:04   #1

Savannah Direct to Bahamas - Route Advice ?

We will be leaving Savannah around January 1 on a newish Lagoon 440 cat. For tax purposes, we must stay out of Florida - and the rig is too tall for the ICW, anyway.

We plan to cross the Gulf Stream as quickly as possible, then head south and approach the Bahamas from the east.

We are West Coast and Mexico cruisers with a fair bit of Carribean bareboating experience - but this is our first time in the Bahamas. We'll be staying for several months and are looking for route advice, as well as special places to see or avoid. We have the usual guide books, but are looking for additional advice.

Also, what are the best checking in options for approaching from the east? Is there any reason we should consider an approach from the west, given that we will not be stopping in Florida?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
JCBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 01:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some Bahamian Ports of Entry:
George Town, Exuma
Stella Maris Airport, Long Island
Cockburn Town, San Salvador
Abraham’s Bay, Mayaguana
Matthew Town, Inagua

Bahamas Tourist Board, Miami (305) 932-0051

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 01:35   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Coming from GA, you will probably want to check in the northern Bahamas. Green Turtle Cay and Marsh Harbor are probably the easiest.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 11:38   #4

Boat: Conser 47 performance CAT
Re: Savannah Direct to Bahamas - Route Advice - ME TOO ?

I ned similar advice..??

St Augustine to Bimini or Berry - experiences ?
Hi ..

I will be making my maiden voyage last two weeks of May..

Rather ambitiously bought a Conser 47 CAT, great boat, great overall condition, mostly new (now) major components. ~ 4ft draft, its a perfomermance CAT capable of 20-25 knots, with CF rotating mast etc..so I will be very cautious, reefing REALLY early.

Starting out of St Augustine...
Destination Bimini and Berry, but only have 9-10 days. Back into Savannah.

Realizing the weather/wind governs. But typically which would be the best approach..and exit..??

I am considering, South from St Aug as far as possible but avoiding the ICW..likely down to Cape Canaveral and cross the GS there +/-..then likely onto west end, maye direct to North Berry...few days in Berry, cross the Grand Banks to Bimini area, then back up..can go the other way around ?

Night sailing will get us further, and "think" we are up for it..we have all the electronics, HD radar with alarms etc.. whats the shiiping traffic like..naturally will always plan to arrive anywhere in good light.

I am quite a novice..chartered several bare CAT, similar size, but mostly in the easy BVI area. Sailing not really an issue, correct planning and nav maybe my weakness..

Any advice on this trip, this time of year would be great..also anyone I can converse would on the sail plan and issues would be great...

Thanks all...excited that I toke the plunge :-)

Geoff
Gboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:57   #5

Re: Savannah Direct to Bahamas - Route Advice ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBP View Post
We will be leaving Savannah around January 1 on a newish Lagoon 440 cat. For tax purposes, we must stay out of Florida - and the rig is too tall for the ICW, anyway.

We plan to cross the Gulf Stream as quickly as possible, then head south and approach the Bahamas from the east.

We are West Coast and Mexico cruisers with a fair bit of Carribean bareboating experience - but this is our first time in the Bahamas. We'll be staying for several months and are looking for route advice, as well as special places to see or avoid. We have the usual guide books, but are looking for additional advice.

Also, what are the best checking in options for approaching from the east? Is there any reason we should consider an approach from the west, given that we will not be stopping in Florida?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
JCBP,
I know this message comes a wee bit delayed, but as I am also thinking of making a hop from Savannah to the Bahamas. I am curious how your trip went? How was the current, what route did you finally take and how long did it take you?

Al
adsadler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas