Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 16:21   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Duncan,

Those ferry wakes are horrible..not to mention the helicopters flying all night. I feel your pain. There are better protected layovers in the area, if your business in NYC is done. You could get down to the Atlantic Highlands this weekend

The first part of this week was ideal for a Run to Cape May...This weekend doesn't look too bad...winds are clocking around as we have a few systems moving through, but the High pressure should settle in by Sunday into the middle of next week.

So you will get some winds with a northerly component to them..which is good..for heading south...but they won't be consistent....The difference from last week is that you will likely see some larger seas...as the weekend progresses...5 to 8 feet...

If you hung out and left Tuesday Morning, I think you'd have a more comfortable trip. I say this because there's only the two of you and it sounds like you've already hit some rough patches.....Also, if you had to duck in to an inlet, this weekend will probably see a good swell at the entrances.

Maybe, move down to The Atlantic Highlands, explore a nice little town for the weekend..and leave tuesday morning?

Is it doable yes! are you up to shifting winds, building seas..for 24 hours? alot depends on the wave period
Old 17-09-2010, 18:17   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
Thanks for the advice

Tempest,

Thanks for the second opinion. Yes, we'll probably head for Atlantic Highlands and see how the weather shapes up in a couple of days, at least we'll be away from the ferry wakes.

Which weather site are you using ? I'm using passageweather.com.

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:19   #18

Hi Duncan,

I listen to the local Marine Weather Station on the VHF, and look at the Marine Weather on the NOAA website for my local conditions.

Coastal Waters Forecast for Coastal waters from Sandy Hook to Manasquan Inlet NJ out 20 nm (ANZ450)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=292&map.y=191

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=276&map.y=216

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=246&map.y=237

If you're really antsy, it looks like sat ( tomorrow is the best window to make an attempt) See how you feel when you get down to Sandy Hook,
Stick your nose out and see how the seas are...you can always duck into Atlantic City....otherwise...you can lay over in the highlands..the sailing in the bay should be great...check out the beaches on Sandy Hook and eat some good seafood.
Old 17-09-2010, 21:14   #19

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Duncan,
At least you missed being at sea during yesterdays micro-macroburst that blew over. There were 2 tornadoes over Brooklyn and Queens and lots of nasty wind near 100 mph - but you probably already know that. We don't get much weather around here usually but each frontal system can bring it's challenges.
I'm with Tempest in that tomorrow looks like good winds for heading down if you don't mind some ocean swells of < 9'. Your boat should float over most of that but will create some motion from the ocean. Igor is many, many miles away yet and not forecast to hit the east coast but it will make big swells that you will need to deal with. As Tempest said, if the wave period is long then the waves will not be breaking, which is good and you should be able to sail or motor right over them.
Check this website for wind/wave forecasts: Radiofax Charts - Boston
If you are staying at Newport Marina or Liberty Landing the ferry wakes can be not so much fun. I live right across the river in Manhattan so I know.
Sandy Hook might be a better hopping off point for Atlantic City/Cape May as it has quick access to the Atlantic.
I'd consider joining you if you want an extra hand and moral support to Cape May or Atlantic City.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 23:08   #20

You might consider Great Kills. Very protected, and terrific express bus to NYC.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 09:05   #21

Duncan,

Keep us posted, and let us know how you make out.
I picked up your AIS signal at about 12:21 p.m approaching the verrazano bridge.

Good Luck!
Old 19-09-2010, 06:06   #22

Update: At Atlantic Highlands right now (AYHC - nice place). Beautiful morning, but prospect of 9ft swells not pleasing the Admiral.

Right now looks like we will go Tuesday overnight, wind not great (15-20 in the face), but wave height much less. Have enough fuel on board to motor all the way if need be.

More than happy to have company as this will be the Admiral's first overnighter, but I'm guessing that might be difficult during the week.

Tempest : Good to know my AIS is working good.

Duncan
Old 19-09-2010, 06:51   #23

Hi Duncan,

The good news is that you're out of the ferry wakes.... Keeping the admiral happy is Job #1 . You might get an early push from some north winds on Tuesday morning...but it does look like they will settle back to the prevailing SW as the day goes on. Hopefully you get to sail some of the way.

I usually stay approx. 3 miles off the coast in about 60 ft of water..This usually keeps me inside of most of the tugs and barges transiting up and down the coast....and close enough to spot the outer marks to the inlets. Keep an eye out for the charter fishing boats and some of the commercial fishing fleet...

Is it your plan to be in Annapolis for the boat show? if so, maybe we'll cross paths.
Best of luck, keep us posted..
Old 19-09-2010, 08:46   #24

Boat: Vagabond 47
Hi Duncun
We were trying to catch up with you in RI and do the run with you but when we went to leave Mattapoisett this morning our shaft log let go. Right now we are in a travel lift waiting to have it looked at but it looks like we may be here a few days. have limited web access right now but will try to keep you posted on our progress. Hope you get a goodweather window we were looking at doing the run on Tuesday but I doubt we will make it. Keep us posted
Dennis & Carole
S/V Renaissance
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:09   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I usually stay approx. 3 miles off the coast in about 60 ft of water.
I usually stay 3-1/2 miles out so I can discharge overboard without issue. Newer charts, paper and electronic, show the line unequivocally. I slide in closer a couple of times a day to get a cell signal for e-mail and Internet. When the wind is SW it's easy to run the westbound tacks in close enough to get a signal for a while.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 10:34   #26

Hi Dennis,

That would be great to go in company. Sorry to hear about your shaft log, hope it's not too serious a fix.

Plans are to leave here mid morning Tuesday, let me know where you get to.

Duncan
Old 19-09-2010, 10:37   #27

Tempest,

Yes, of couse I plan to be at Annaolis, but SHMBO is planning to confiscate my credit cards lest I cripple the cruising budet even further with more things "we don't need on the boat".

Hope to see you there.

Duncan
Old 21-09-2010, 05:25   #28

Tempest,

See you are online. Thinking of moving off this afternoon. At least poking my nose out of the bay and seeing if the Admiral is up to it.

Seas should be no more than 4ft, but wind is a bit variable.

Doesn't look like a better time until after the weekend.

Second opinion ?

Duncan
Old 21-09-2010, 07:22   #29

Boat: Tayana 42
We were planning on heading from Sandy Hook to Cape May on Friday morning, going overnight and up to C&D Canal by Saturday night. The weather does not look promising at all for that.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 07:26   #30

msulc,

Yes, weather seems to get worse at the weekend. Right now, we are planning to give it a shot today / tonite, will report how we get on.

Either way, keep in touch.

Duncan