Didn't realise you were ahead of us. That was a weird night with the 180 deg. windshift which happened in seconds at the front came up from the south.
One of the boats we were sailing with broke a chainplate in one of the erly gusts and had to put into Barnegat to fix it.
When the sun came up, I was surprised to see the size of the following seas being kicked up by the norther.
We were surfing quite badly. Enough that the vent pipe on my Packless Shaft Seal
was throwing salt water
out of the top and all over the watermaker
etc. (Must deal with that)
Perhaps you were ahead of this by then, but if they had got up any further, I was considering deploying a drouge.
Kudos to you for continuing on to Annapolis
in those conditions. We then got stuck in Cape May for a few days as the window closed.
Saturday night doesn't look too bad from what I can see (www.passageweather.com
), but ....
The conditions you would set off from Sandy Hook depend really on your heavy weather
experience / tolerance. We set off in predicted 10-15 and were seeing 25+ for some time. My best advice
is that if you are inexperienced / short handed / not set up for heavy weather
, take your time, enjoy the Atlantic Highlands (we did), take the sea streak to NYC
and wait it out for calm conditions to do this trip.
Duncan & Joan