Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Sandy Hook to Cape May (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/sandy-hook-to-cape-may-46798.html)

duncan_ellison 13-09-2010 06:26

Sandy Hook to Cape May
 
Anyone else headed South to Cape May at the moment ?

I'm currently waiting to go through the East River and then was planning to spend a few days in Manhattan before heading down, but I'm really in two minds now in view of Igor coming up.

Looks like I might have to wait over a week for a good window.

Duncan
S/Y TALISA
currently Glen Cove, NY

captden 13-09-2010 16:24

Hi Duncun
We are planning to head down to ptown on thursday. thru the canal fri down to newport sat. from there over to montouk nj wait and see the weather and then on to norfork with the option of either alantic city or cape may. with a little luck igor will track well to the east.

Dennis & Carole
S/V Renaissance

Pblais 13-09-2010 16:38

Quote:

Looks like I might have to wait over a week for a good window.
It's mid September already. It's what you do to go to Cape May from NYC this late. You sit and wait and watch for the window. You do it because as bad as antsy might get, it isn't as bad as getting whacked with no place to hide. So far the weather here is giving up the hideous heat of July and August. It might take some time to settle down from the change.

Tempest245 13-09-2010 17:21

Hi Duncan,

At First Glance....This Week looks like a great week to head for Cape May...you have some great west winds tomorrow and then northerly.. winds....until friday.....It doesn't get much better than this for a run south on the jersey coast....it's a 24 hour run ...I wouldn't sit out for a week in NYC..igor is still pretty far away.

duncan_ellison 13-09-2010 18:09

pblais / Tempest, Thanks for the replies. We were intending to make the run Thursday, but we now have a couple of things we need to take care of which will place us in NYC at Shipyard Marina (www.shipyardmarina.com) until Saturday.

I hope the window remains open, but the forecast is showing some disturbed weather for a while after Igor blows by.

Hope you won't mind me getting a second opinion from you guys before we head out, we are not from round these parts and don't know the wrinkles about this part of the passage.

We've read the pilot books time and time again but everyone we speak to says the NJ coast was the worst part of their journey South. I have an Admiral on board who's only just coping with some of the conditions we'v e had so far - don't want her abandoning ship altogether ;-)

Dennis : Sounds like you are on an accelerated schedule, you may well catch us up. Look for us on the VHF or if you have AIS you might see us (MMSI 235063851)

Duncan
S/V TALISA

Tempest245 13-09-2010 18:35

Hi Duncan.

No problem...we can take another look on the weekend. What was your thought for the NJ coast...inlet hopping..or an overnight run? in the meantime How tall is your mast..? What do you draw?
My schedule is pretty tight this month, or I'd offer to take the ride with you.. (my only 3 day window is this thur, fri, sat)

With a good weather window this can be a very pleasant trip..just be patient, enjoy the city and see what next week brings

duncan_ellison 14-09-2010 04:37

Hi Tempest,

Thanks for the help here.

We are keen to get to the Chesapeake and we keep hearing how difficult the inlets are, so our plan is to make a straight 24 Hr run but research the inlets esp. Atlantic City in case we find ourselves getting beaten up or just too tired to go on.

Barnegat looks like it would only work for us in an emergency.

Boat is 45ft with a 63ft air draft and 5.5ft draft.

Duncan

Tempest245 14-09-2010 10:22

Hi Duncan,

Yes AC is probably your best bet for a bailout should you need one...Barnaget is not an inlet you want to try for the 1st time in bad weather.

Manasqaun would be very early in the trip, and if you've pick a good weather window would not likely need it that soon.

With your mast height you will not be able to transit the cape may canal but the marinas are on the ocean side of the bridge so, you could get in and out for a layover if you wanted. Both AC and Cape May are excellent inlets. Once inside of Cape May however be very mindful of where the channels are, there are some shoal areas.

Cape May is a great little town, and worth the stop imo. The Marinas are a little pricey, ( not sure if they drop their rates off season) and usually run about $4.00 a ft. I've stayed at South Jersey Marina..great showers.

Mark Zarley 14-09-2010 19:20

Barnegat is straight forward and has a comercial fishing fleet there. Nice hole to anchor in just before the fishing fleet, red side. We usually break it up into 2 easy days. For a straight shot we usually leave Sandy hook mid afternoon and arrive at Cape May mid morning. Enjoy the trip.

marc 14-09-2010 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest245 (Post 521315)
Hi Duncan,

Cape May is a great little town, and worth the stop imo. The Marinas are a little pricey, ( not sure if they drop their rates off season) and usually run about $4.00 a ft. I've stayed at South Jersey Marina..great showers.

Utcsh's Marina is $2.00/ft. Very friendly marina, close to everything.
Marc

psteele235 14-09-2010 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc (Post 521637)
Utcsh's Marina is $2.00/ft. Very friendly marina, close to everything.
Marc

Decent restaurant too.

GordMay 15-09-2010 04:11

The Boater's Guide to Cape May County
https://www.imboats.com/images/Blog/B...Guide_2010.pdf

Tempest245 15-09-2010 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc (Post 521637)
Utcsh's Marina is $2.00/ft. Very friendly marina, close to everything.
Marc

Very cool! Thanks..... South Jersey's 2010 rate is 2.95..my mistake...but saving a buck a foot is great!

duncan_ellison 15-09-2010 04:49

Nice document - Ive downloaded it to take with me - Thanks

Duncan

duncan_ellison 17-09-2010 15:12

Need your weather advice please
 
OK guys, I need some advice on this.

We are in a marina in Hoboken,NY at the moment and not liking the rock and roll from the ferry wakes.

Looking at the weather it seems as though the rough surf from Igor is going to persist throughout the week until Friday and we don't want to wait that long to get on with the journey to the Cheapeake.

We are considering a run to Cape May early tomorrow morning - anyone this this is a good / bad / crazy plan ?

Weather isn't really my strong suit and I'm nervous about this part of the passage. We intend to get Chris Parker on the job as we head further South, but for the moment we are on our ownm planning ths.

Duncan & Joan
S/Y TALISA













looking


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.