Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 14:33   #16

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design
Having never been to Columbia, I for one would like to see it as the local's would have it... Not some contrived image of what is desired by the lucky few who have the luxury of sailing all over the world and then placing their own expectations upon others while then bemoaning the others for not bowing to their desires.

I am thinking the true adventure of sailing and seeing other cultures is actually seeing other cultures...DUH!

I get a little fired up reading folks from areas considered affluent complaining about some of the "LOCAL" ways in other countries... Get over it!

I want to experience the true lifestyle differences and enjoy other cultures, please don't ruin it prior to my ability to get there and see for myself... Good or bad. (Especially the longshoreman union workers)

I have heard only "GOOD" things about Columbia from others who travel there often and have purchased property there since experiencing the true cultural differences... As with most other places "MOST" of the people are good, honest, hard working people eager to make new friends and share cultural differences.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john halley View Post
Facts on Club Nautico's history ...
... The debate is open.
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

Facts are good.
I hope you stick around the Forum to contribute your local knowledge and expertise.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26   #18

Boat: Manta 40
Re: Safe Marina in Cartagena ?

Although an old thread. Would like updated feed back on Club Nautico. Planning on visiting Cartagena over Christmas/New Year, November through January, Is it necessary to reserve a birth during this period?
cameron forsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29   #19

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

We are considering spending part or all of next hurricane season in Cartegena. Its out of the Jackline hurricane box and the Jackline policy allows Catagena for a $100 rider, maybe a bit more.

Looking for any current info on Cartagena.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We too are looking for current information on Club Nautico in Cartagena. Expect to get to Columbia in July 2013. Will stop in Santa Marts but want to come to Cartagena. We've heard that Club Nautico may not be in operation but maybe this is just more rumors.

Do any cruisers there now have current information?
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:11   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I think Club de Pesca is the only operational marina in town... which makes it busy.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 19:48   #22

Boat: Nordhavn 5740

We left our boat in the IGY Marina Santa Marta and took the bus to Cartagena where we had a very nice several day stay in the old city.

We then sailed to and spent one night in the anchorage in Cartagena. Just long enough to pick up a good load of barnacles! The worst anchorage, by far, that I have ever found for bottom fouling.

I personally would never again anchor in Cartagena unless I was going to have my boat hauled and bottom-painted just before leaving.

Old 13-06-2013, 14:20   #23

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

We left Cartagena in February 2013, and Club Nautico was busy putting on a new roof, their (crappy) docks were almost full but really not worth the money. Their dinghy dock is a safe place to leave your dinghy, the showers are nasty, decent wifi (about $35 a month, if I recall correctly). If you can afford to stay at a marina, Santa Marta is definitely the way to go - at anchor, Club Nautico remains your best bet. The water is FOUL but there's a guy who works out of Club Nautico who cleaned our hull just before we left. Another off-the-beaten-track option for anchorage and/or marina is the new development at puerto velero, about a 20 minute drive from Barranquilla. en.marinapuertovelero.co They're not really set up for transients but they accommodated us when we were there in November 2012. We really enjoyed a short visit to Barranquilla.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena