Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 19:13   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
Boat: 53' steel ketch, modified Bruce Roberts yard-built
Posts: 10
Panama Details

We are planning to arrive in Panama mid-June. Likely to arrive in Bocas del Toro which looks like a good place to check in. Details about various fees, visas, permits etc, seem a bit murky. Charges in Colon seem much higher than in Bocas del Toro. Can anyone clarify? We are a family with 3 kids (17, 14, 9). We plan to cruise in Panama till September and then haul out. Our boat is a 28 ton, 53' steel ketch. Any recommendations besides Shelter Bay for possible haul out for September thru April? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
BsgFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 23:59   #2
Registered User
 
Globalksp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 56
Re: panama details

While I can't be of any help with the questions you've posted, I can be of unsolicited help in referring you to a little locals restaurant on the southwest corner of Isla Bastimentos. I was there 3 years back looking into a hostel that was for sale and stumbled across Ketcha's. Ketcha is the older woman who runs the little place. Bring her what you catch or have Elvis (yea, Elvis) go out and catch you something in the morning. You won't be disappointed! It's directly across (waterside) from Ca' Venice Hostel Ristorante Italiano‎.

Best of luck and enjoy!
__________________

__________________
Globalksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 11:36   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Re: panama details

We checked in at bocas del toro 2 weeks ago. I am told the cost is about $300 to check in (2 of us on board a 48 foot boat). We paid more than that because we checked in over the weekend, which involves overtime. Mary at Marina Carenero was a good resource for us for information before we arrived. She is the Seven Seas Land base and as such seems glad to inform, even if you are ancored out.

Check in was straightforward and was handled professionally and pleasantly. Bocas is a good place to check in.

Susan from Erie spirit
__________________
susan 238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Re: panama details

Panama, er Latina america, charges vary by person and place is my experience. I do recommend Bocas and its a great place. Anchor with your quarantine flag up outside the customs house which is on the SE 'corner' of the town -near the quay. Dario and his team will arrive. I dont remember paying as much as 300 for my 62ton but the year cruising permit is 193dollars. Then go to the govt offices -big old blg- in the town square - first floor-Virginia will process your passports and you may get anything from 6 moths to 9 months tourist visa. When you are done in bocas come out to san blas for as much seafood as you can eat.
__________________
CaptPhilMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
Boat: 53' steel ketch, modified Bruce Roberts yard-built
Posts: 10
Re: panama details

Thanks for these inputs. We'll be in Haiti a couple of weeks and then will either head more or less directly to Bocas or travel via San Andres Y Providencia. Does anyone have any recommendations about either route? We'll be in Panama until September when we plan to haul out there. Probably will haul in Colon although are looking for any other option that can handle our 27T steel ketch on Caribbean side.
__________________
BsgFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 17:54   #6
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Re: Panama Details

Both islands are columbian of course - the recommendation appears to be providencia for cost but approach only in daylight. Haul out in colon and stay is likely to be very costly. i understand their attitude is 'screw the yachts'.

it sounds that Green turtle have just finished their ramp -call them and see costs etc
Tiffany +507 64069854
eric 66857777
__________________
CaptPhilMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 19:34   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
Boat: 53' steel ketch, modified Bruce Roberts yard-built
Posts: 10
Re: Panama Details

Thanks for the referral. I checked the website but will call for further information.
__________________
BsgFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,584
Re: Panama Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPhilMorris View Post
...... Haul out in colon and stay is likely to be very costly. i understand their attitude is 'screw the yachts'.
.....
Where'd you hear this? The haul out in Colon is at Shelter Bay and they cater to cruisers and yachties. I hauled there in Jan and had a good experience.


__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Panama Details

We have hauled in Shelter Bay twice with very good experiences. I believe in the past, Shelter Bay was notoriously bad, but it has been sold since then. In fact, it was just recently sold again and is now owned by Lyman-Morse: Lyman Morse Boatbuilding - Panama Boat Building, Storage and Repair - Thomaston, Maine .

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,584
Re: Panama Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have hauled in Shelter Bay twice with very good experiences. I believe in the past, Shelter Bay was notoriously bad, but it has been sold since then. In fact, it was just recently sold again and is now owned by Lyman-Morse: Lyman Morse Boatbuilding - Panama Boat Building, Storage and Repair - Thomaston, Maine .

Mark
Lyman Morse is just doing the marine service side, they don't run the marina or the haul put.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14   #11
Registered User
 
svWindfall's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Panama - Bocas del Toro
Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf
Posts: 81
Images: 1
Re: Panama Details

Bocas is rumored to open a travel lift in 3-4 months (7 miles from the marina). Lets hope they give Shelter Bay competition!! We are moored at Bocas now
__________________
I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem
svWindfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Panama Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Lyman Morse is just doing the marine service side, they don't run the marina or the haul put.
Yes, the marina was always run separate from the yard (and possibly by different owners), and LM has not bought the yard - only contracted to run the yard. However, LM's website certainly seems to imply that they will run the haul out and yard facilities (emphasis mine):

"Lyman-Morse Panama is strategically located near the Caribbean entrance of the Panama Canal and will provide yachtsmen and women a familiar and recognized source for pre-canal transit prep and logistics, a full-range of service work, haul-out and storage services between cruises.
Peach Frederick, long time service manager at Lyman-Morse Thomaston has re-located to Colon, Panama to run the yard. All aspects of boat repair for sail and power, including rigging, canvas, carpentry, mechanical, fiberglass and carbon fiber hull repairs, electrical and electronics, stainless steel and paint projects are offered. The yard is equipped with 100-ton travelift so refit work, as well as extended and short-term storage is available."

It will be interesting to see if they will still allow DIY work going forward. They are already clamping down on allowing external contractors to work there and all non-DIY work has to go through them now. The prices have increased some, but hopefully the quality of the work will be higher (and more timely).

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33   #13
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Re: Panama Details

Correct. I did not mention shelter bay, and i used the word 'understand' (from those coming through in the past). So we now have a balanced opinion for our original enquirer. Shows how valuable net forums are.
__________________
CaptPhilMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:49   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,584
Re: Panama Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the marina was always run separate from the yard (and possibly by different owners), and LM has not bought the yard - only contracted to run the yard. However, LM's website certainly seems to imply that they will run the haul out and yard facilities (emphasis mine):

"Lyman-Morse Panama is strategically located near the Caribbean entrance of the Panama Canal and will provide yachtsmen and women a familiar and recognized source for pre-canal transit prep and logistics, a full-range of service work, haul-out and storage services between cruises.
Peach Frederick, long time service manager at Lyman-Morse Thomaston has re-located to Colon, Panama to run the yard. All aspects of boat repair for sail and power, including rigging, canvas, carpentry, mechanical, fiberglass and carbon fiber hull repairs, electrical and electronics, stainless steel and paint projects are offered. The yard is equipped with 100-ton travelift so refit work, as well as extended and short-term storage is available."

It will be interesting to see if they will still allow DIY work going forward. They are already clamping down on allowing external contractors to work there and all non-DIY work has to go through them now. The prices have increased some, but hopefully the quality of the work will be higher (and more timely).

Mark
Mark
I talked with Peach a couple of times on this and he said they are not currenyly doing the haul out or yard storage. Just the service work. DIY was still OK.
__________________

__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Panama, panama

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.