Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 07:25   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Newport to Annapolis

I was wondering, my nephew graduates from the Naval Academy next year and I was thinking of sailing there from RI. This would be in May and was wondering how much time I would need to figure on getting there? I have a Tartan 3800 that sails great.
aland3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

On deliveries that I've made from Newport to Annapolis, 4-5 days was a normal transit time on the water by way of Block Island Sound-Delaware Bay -C&D Canal-Upper Chesapeake Bay. More time should be factored in for stops or sailing down Long Island Sound.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 09:28   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Worst part of the trip would be the passage up Delaware Bay to the Canal. I went throgh Long Island Sound, through Hell's Gate, down the river then outside to Delaware Bay. We stopped in New Jersey and in the C&D Canal.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 11:47   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800
Thanks, I'll figure 7-10 to play it safe.
aland3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau 46 - Intruder II
Just something else to consider....

Just something else to consider.....

(My boats is at a marina overlooking the academy)
There is good anchorage right off of the academy. But with all of the local traffic coming in and out of Spa creek and running up and down the Severn River it is seldom "calm". The City of Annapolis maintains 30+ mooring balls right off downtown, which borders the academy. $25 a day first-come-first-serve. It takes but seconds to dingy to the public dock and 5-minutes to walk to the main gate of the academy. The water taxi service is good and operates well into the evening.
shanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Late May through June usually is some of the best sailing on the Chesapeake with fair breezes and late spring weather. Timing the Delaware River for a rising tide takes the edge off the transit. The tide current runs strong and the commercial traffic can be heavy. After that you get nice scenery and a pleasant trip. A Chesapeake Bay Guide is worth the investment for all the best of the out of the way places and main attractions. Both anchoring and shore facilities are detailed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 05:54   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
You can anchor right off the academy sea wall for free, water taxi $2.50 per person. I would get there a few days early.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 06:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Bring a fly swatter. The black flies on the Delaware are notorious. You'll probably have to motor the entire lenght of the Delaware unless you get a very favorable breeze - the channel is narrow and the channel is basically all that is navigable.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:36   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
I hang at cape henlopen and leave a few hours before the flood tide. By the time I get to the canal I can catch the ebb going into the Chesapeake.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 06:41   #10

If you are going inside Long Island, your biggest schedule issue is waiting in Manhattan for a weather window along New Jersey. Early May is prone to gales and this piece of the coast is a terrible place to be caught in bad weather as there is very little refuge for a deep draft sailboat. A friend was caught in a spring gale a few years ago that saw gusts past 60 knots. Worse, Cape May is a very, very dangerous piece of coast in a bad sea. The shallow water can set up a steep sided 10ft sea that is far worse than what you would find 50 miles offshore.

Even if you don't get wind, it can also still be very cold in May. A hundred mile beat into a stiff southerly in 40-50 degree temperatures is no fun.

Again, if you allow time to pick your weather it should be a pleasant, safe and easy sail.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 08:55   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I hang at cape henlopen and leave a few hours before the flood tide. By the time I get to the canal I can catch the ebb going into the Chesapeake.
Sabray's advice bears repeating. We entered the Bay at Cape Henlopen just before the flood tide began and rode a fair current all the way up to the C&D Canal, through the Canal and down to Tolchester Beach. We stayed just outside the channel markers. The tide can run 1-2 knots, so it's good to have it pushing you.

Beware strong NW winds--they make for a very rough ride. We had very little wind, and motored the whole way.

Tags
annapolis, newport