Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 07:45   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: ICW and a Deep Draft

Follow a bigger boat.

I do

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:02   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like FSMike's post above. Often people have problems when they have become unaware of their position.

The spatial relationship that FSMike speaks of is largely percieved by parallax. Closer objects move at a greater apparent motion compared to more distant objects; therefore if you are approching a pair of distant markers and remaining in the channel, a starboard mark will move to the right against the background at the horizon and the port markers will continue to move to the left against the backsground.

Markers on the ICW are no more indicating where to go than they are indicating where not to go. Success means finding the best fit curve that keeps you off these markers.

I would also suggest that at the locations where dredged cuts meet larger rivers it is important to expect shoaling at the corners. I usually "square" these corners and proceed when I'm looking down the middle of the next run.

We first completed an Atlantic Coast ICW in 1972 and we ran aground or had brief encounters with the bottom 13 times from the Chesapeake to Florida. We've made 25 transits of the ICW since then and now we very rarely touch.

There are two locations on the ICW that I consider it dangerous to meet oncomming large commercial traffic. At these places we always make a securite call on 16 to indentify our location, direction and concern about meeting any barge traffic. One of these places is the short, but very swift current through Elliott Cut Between the Ashley and Stono Rivers southbound from Charleston, SC. The other is the "Rockpile" next to North Myrtle Beach, SC. This 2 to 3 mile section is marked with a warning sign and the channel is lined with jagged rock that is covered at mid to high tide. Don't stray from the middle area here and don't put yourself in the position of meeting a barge here.

When you are approaching a trouble spot like Hell's Gate by Racoon Key, Fields Cut, Little Mud Creek, etc. don't hesitate to call other boats for their observations. I write down the names of boats that slowly pass me so I can call about advanced information if I want. I also look at the names of some meeting vessels so I can inquire about their findings too.

...... and don't "freak out" when your depth sounder shows that the depth is decreasing. If you follow the absolute best path the depthsouder will show decreasing depths exactly half of the time!

Enjoy your trip!
Old 27-09-2014, 09:12   #33

SailingBrusan,

From a fellow CB'er, Fair Winds and safe travels!
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:50   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Follow a bigger boat.

I do
Find a mule pushing some loaded barges. I don't know how they do it
It can be difficult to keep up with them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-highhopes View Post
Depth finder is your friend.. Be careful using the marker ahead for judging if your in the center.. Always look back too. I do most of fl with a 6.5 and I rarely have issues but I run the depth finder religiously.
Yes on the looking back as well as forward.... if you forget to do that it's easy to start bumping bottom! You can also tell if you are plowing from the mud stirred up behind you!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 11:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I like FSMike's post above. Often people have problems when they have become unaware of their position.

The spatial relationship that FSMike speaks of is largely percieved by parallax. Closer objects move at a greater apparent motion compared to more distant objects; therefore if you are approching a pair of distant markers and remaining in the channel, a starboard mark will move to the right against the background at the horizon and the port markers will continue to move to the left against the backsground.

Markers on the ICW are no more indicating where to go than they are indicating where not to go. Success means finding the best fit curve that keeps you off these markers.

I would also suggest that at the locations where dredged cuts meet larger rivers it is important to expect shoaling at the corners. I usually "square" these corners and proceed when I'm looking down the middle of the next run.

We first completed an Atlantic Coast ICW in 1972 and we ran aground or had brief encounters with the bottom 13 times from the Chesapeake to Florida. We've made 25 transits of the ICW since then and now we very rarely touch.

There are two locations on the ICW that I consider it dangerous to meet oncomming large commercial traffic. At these places we always make a securite call on 16 to indentify our location, direction and concern about meeting any barge traffic. One of these places is the short, but very swift current through Elliott Cut Between the Ashley and Stono Rivers southbound from Charleston, SC. The other is the "Rockpile" next to North Myrtle Beach, SC. This 2 to 3 mile section is marked with a warning sign and the channel is lined with jagged rock that is covered at mid to high tide. Don't stray from the middle area here and don't put yourself in the position of meeting a barge here.

When you are approaching a trouble spot like Hell's Gate by Racoon Key, Fields Cut, Little Mud Creek, etc. don't hesitate to call other boats for their observations. I write down the names of boats that slowly pass me so I can call about advanced information if I want. I also look at the names of some meeting vessels so I can inquire about their findings too.

...... and don't "freak out" when your depth sounder shows that the depth is decreasing. If you follow the absolute best path the depthsouder will show decreasing depths exactly half of the time!

Enjoy your trip!
Re: Elliott's Cut. Watch the eddy's at the confluence with the Stono River if you hit it on a ragging ebb tide. I mentioned the other day about the maintenance being done on the Whappoo Cut bridge Ashley side of Elliot's.
Old 27-09-2014, 14:49   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Find a mule pushing some loaded barges. I don't know how they do it
It can be difficult to keep up with them.
Just don't call him an Ass.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 14:58   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Just don't call him an Ass.
Is that why they won"t throw me a line and tow me?
Old 27-09-2014, 16:36   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

I would not choose to follow any of those large tugs too close. I like to stay back at least 100 yards if I'm not passing them at a wide spot. Those big props stir up deadheads and they can also put a lot of grit in suspension that can chew up your impeller.
Old 28-09-2014, 07:32   #40

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

There aren't many commercial tows on the AICW anymore. On our last trip we only saw them on the Cape Fear River. The larger ports like Beaufort, Cape Fear Charleston and Port Royal Sound are the most likely. Occasionally there will be a fuel barge for a power plant. Nothing like we used to see in the early days. So you can't count on following one of these, especially through the problem spots in places like Georgia. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 08:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
There aren't many commercial tows on the AICW anymore. On our last trip we only saw them on the Cape Fear River. The larger ports like Beaufort, Cape Fear Charleston and Port Royal Sound are the most likely. Occasionally there will be a fuel barge for a power plant. Nothing like we used to see in the early days. So you can't count on following one of these, especially through the problem spots in places like Georgia. Chuck
Probably because the Corps. isn't dredging very often. They are busy pissing away money replenishing beaches that will only washout again.

Oh well, I'd hate to see multimillion dollar homes fall into the sea. We deserve to pay for their stupidity of building there.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39   #42

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I also have a 6' draft I've given up on the ICW with all of the crowding, inconsiderate power boaters and its shoaling. I now go on the outside and only stop in the major ports.
When I did use the ICW I found this very helpful:
BoatUS.com - Tom and Mel Neale's East Coast Alerts
East Coast alerts by Tom and Mel Neal.
Old 01-10-2014, 14:01   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We often meet one or two dredge operations on an ICW transit either working a spot or underway. In either situation it's wise to call them.

If they're working at a spot, I like to get clear directions about the side to pass. Sometimes they need to pull back a pipe while you pass.

If they are underway they can be towing 100 yards or more of pipe and floats that are assisted by tenders. Here again it's wise to ask if they want a 1 or 2 whistle pass.

Tags
draft, icw