Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40   #16
Marine Service Provider

St. Augustine is the place to be. Airport in Jax. Riverview Marina[ ex Oyster Creek Marina] in St. Aug.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10   #17

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
I second the recommendations of Vero Beach and Cocoa. Vero has reasonable mooring rates ($15/night-I don't know the monthly rate) and best of all, free bus service to pretty much any where in town! Nice marina, too. Not much in the way of anchorages there though. As far as Cocoa goes, as a local resident, I can see why people stop here. Park, shopping and library right nearby. Nice area. One thing no one else mentioned is there is also a decent anchorage just to the S of the causeway (next to the marina). We've got our boat anchored there right now. Lots of long term boats and well as people cruising through. Either are very nice areas!
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 18:45   #18

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Thanks again to all for these great suggestions. These were really helpful!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 19:06   #19
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco View Post
Many thanks to all for these excellent suggestions. Exactly the kind of information and ideas we were looking for.
I'll confirm the suggestion of Cocoa Village Marina. Gorgeous small town atmosphere on a beautiful lagoon. It may be a little pricey. If it is, 10 mile south is Melbourne, FL where I am. $9.00 a foot and live aboards are welcome. Buses to Orlando, and it's just 40 miles north of Ft. Pierce.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 19:47   #20

Boat: csy 37
vero beach city marina

it's so nice some people never leave, giving it it's nickname 'velcro beach'.

$15 a day for a mooring ball. dinghy dock, water, fuel, nice lounge, showers, laundry.

free bus service all over vero beach and surrounding area. airport bus service to west palm beach (major airport). great shopping, great beach. and great people - some seem to be permanently moored there, others are cruisers passing through.

also one of the best - if not THE best - publix supermarket in florida. west marine. if you're into chinese food, one of the very best - and cheapest - chinese buffets i've ever been to.

shopping mall with major movie theater. walmart, target, lowe's, home depot, etc. and everything is accessible by FREE bus which stops at the marina every hour.

i could go on and on, but i'm sure that others who have spent time there will confirm most everything i say.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
St. Augustine is the place to be. Airport in Jax. Riverview Marina[ ex Oyster Creek Marina] in St. Aug.
You Know the price in this marina? There is internet connection?
KWICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Nice boat, those Hallberg Rassys. I delivered on to Maine a couple of years ago. The slips start at $10 per foot per month. There is cable and wireless internet in the slips, a restaurant/bar on premises, it's a 5 min. walk to West Marine and a grocery store, and it is very protected against storms. The docks are floating and in good shape. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions, Scott
Old 11-07-2010, 16:48   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
You Know the price in this marina? There is internet connection?
St Augustine is very pricey. When the one night charge is north of $65.00 a night at the city dock, it's not exactly your bargain marina.
Old 11-07-2010, 17:09   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
St Augustine is very pricey. When the one night charge is north of $65.00 a night at the city dock, it's not exactly your bargain marina.
Between the price, lack of parking , the current, and chop in a Nor'easter, that's why no one recommends staying there. We're talking about a different marina over on the San Sebastion River. Someday the city government will realize that they are chasing away cruisers with their attitudes towards boaters. Their new moorings will be almost as pricey as staying at a dock. If Harley Davidson built boats, maybe they would come around . They bend over backwards for bikers downtown.
Old 11-07-2010, 17:35   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
Between the price, lack of parking , the current, and chop in a Nor'easter, that's why no one recommends staying there. We're talking about a different marina over on the San Sebastion River.
I hope you're planning on removing your mast!!

That US1 bridge doesn't open.
Old 11-07-2010, 18:06   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I hope you're planning on removing your mast!!

That US1 bridge doesn't open.
?????????????? King Street bridge would get you long before you get to US1. Look downstream from there. [King St.] That's where the marinas are. I draw 6.5 feet and need 60 ft of vertical clearance. No problems getting to any of them.

Tags
florida