Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 09:08   #106

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Cuba - Warning non-American boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thanks Chuck, it would seem so-but I had heard that was not the case recently- any updated info on this ?
Still the case on the south coast. There must be a Guarda Frontera post, an Immigrations officer, an agricultural inspector, and a health inspector all available for the check in process. These are all only available at large ports or airports. The smaller ports will only have a Guarda Frontera post and they can not do the check in process. Cuba has 8 Ports Of Entry. On the south coast they are Santiago, Cienfuegos and Cayo Largo. On the north coast they are Bahia de Naranjo, Cayo Guillermo, Varadero, Havana, and Cabo San Antonio. Keep in mind that all things Cuba is subject to change at any time. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-03-2012, 09:09   #107

Boat: Pearson 385

Quote:
.....a vessel which enters a port or place in Cuba to engage in the trade of goods or services may not, within 180 days after departure from such port or place in Cuba, load or unload any freight at any place in the United States, except pursuant .....
Does the "United States" also mean US territories? Would there be issues with arriving in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-03-2012, 09:16   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but after your finished ( being deprecating) , none wants it.

Dave
not sure what you mean there...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-03-2012, 11:31   #109

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
Does the "United States" also mean US territories? Would there be issues with arriving in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?
I would imagine so as non US flagged boats with foreign aliens aboard need to have a current US B1-B2 visa for each alien so they can land in US territories even if they are from visa waiver ESTA designated countries. Thus extrapolating the laws for US citizens I imagine it is the case. Just an opinion not a fact I would suggest asking the authorities in each territory.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-03-2012, 16:21   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
First visit I had to do coming from Antigua to PR was customs, so the answer is yes.
Old 28-03-2012, 17:42   #111

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

GOOD LORD !! If the Americans on here want to go To Cuba they must have damage, or mechnical failure ! call the coasties and ask for asistance, they wont help and then ya can go to the nearest port for repairs !! In this way you can come back without a problem ! I know Ive had a problem close to Cuba and had to have repairs done and had no problem ! Just a thought
Old 28-03-2012, 17:55   #112
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
GOOD LORD !! If the Americans on here want to go To Cuba they must have damage, or mechnical failure ! call the coasties and ask for asistance, they wont help and then ya can go to the nearest port for repairs !! In this way you can come back without a problem ! I know Ive had a problem close to Cuba and had to have repairs done and had no problem ! Just a thought
The trouble with that is= you better be sure what your calming is true, the coast guard may just come to your rescue !!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-03-2012, 18:19   #113
mcm

US residents are not required to obtain a cruising license when entering Canada by water, this I have confirmed from the Cdn Gov't, they only have to comply with Cdn boating laws, there is no restriction on the time the "vessel" may remain in Canada and no duties or taxes are payable as long as the vessel is foreign flagged.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-03-2012, 21:02   #114

Come on Ram you know I would Never not be disabled when I call the Costies !! but they are to busy stopping boats coming back from Cuba!! LOL
Old 29-03-2012, 06:59   #115
ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
US residents are not required to obtain a cruising license when entering Canada by water, this I have confirmed from the Cdn Gov't, they only have to comply with Cdn boating laws, there is no restriction on the time the "vessel" may remain in Canada and no duties or taxes are payable as long as the vessel is foreign flagged.
I am sorry to say that you have been misinformed.

1. Foreign flagged sail boat operators are required to have a 'license/Operators permit' in Canada for more than 44 days. The following is from the excellent and very clear Transport Canada website (And also what I have been directly told by Canadian officials) . . . "The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require that all operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor have proof of competency and proof of age on board at all times. The Regulations apply to non-residents if they operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days . . ."

2. Foreign flagged sail boats when they enter Canada are required to obtain a cruising permit (during check in) and to display the permit number.

3. Typically Canadian immigration allows a maximum of up to six months for the people. For the boat, the rule is "Non-resident visitors may leave their boats in Canada during the off-season without payment of duties only if repair or maintenance work is to be undertaken by a bona fide marina or service outlet during that time. Before leaving a boat, the owner must advise the local customs office of the details and produce a copy of the work order, identifying the unit and showing the name and address of the owner, the type of work to be done, and the location where the work will be carried out".
ice is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-03-2012, 15:52   #116

The British didn't help with the divide and rule in Vietnam...
They aren't into that any more...
Kinder gentler nation...

Lucky the brits didn't mess with the German cars...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-03-2012, 16:22   #117

Boat: '71 Islander 36 - '77 West Indies Heritage 36
pirate Re: Cuba - Warning non-American boats

Maggie-K has it right about decals. I've had to buy decals (DTOPS) for my boats in Toronto ($27) and Florida ($27) because they are over 30'. The I-68 info may be out of date or irrelevant to this thread because they are for 72 hour limits the last time I had one. I've been to Cuba many times on holidays, but not by boat. I think Trinidad or St. Thomas would rate higher on my list of destinations or any place that distils rum. Just my 2 cents worth. Oh, right. Canada just abolished the cent.
sailnkdbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-03-2012, 16:41   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

If my forefathers had not favored bipedalism you would all be swinging in the trees!
Old 30-03-2012, 17:36   #119

I know the folks from OZ are not BRIT'S really, but they sure did a bunch in V N I know that for sure ! had a beer or 3 with a couple of em way back when !! LOL
Old 30-03-2012, 17:48   #120

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I hesitate to post here, I am not a firewalker, I express too many epithets.

I've been thinking about restricting my southern sailing to US waters, considering some of the rising crime issues in the Caribbean. Going down to the Keys is cool and you're in the Conch Republic. Just a few miles away is Cuba. What a great loss for us sailors, but we know what it represents politically and maybe we have a concience about how we used that country years ago. It was like Old Time Las Vegas and Old Time Columbia, all rolled into one. I had older fellows just out of school who were on their way to Cuba to fight for the people. They mostly ended up in Vietnam and did fighting there. I did get to Cuba on a ship to G'tmo and it was eerie. It's not like Cuba could be another place in the Caribbean like Aruba or Barbados or St. Martin. It would be as close as the Bahamas. Who screwed it all up. Poppa Doc? Fidel? In the Caribbean you have islands with small governments with big problems and touristas pay the freight. In Cuba it has a proud tradition now, defying the Americans, but now we have "cultural" access by group trips and some TV journalists. The people are very nice and understand what the American government has done and an influx of cultural groups from schools, religious groups, and research societies will help keep an idea that Americans aren't as a population opposed to the Cuban people. It might be different if planeloads of camera wielding tourists descended on the place, complaining about things. But a few cruisers, maybe they could get us into the cultural interface group. "Old Men Against the Sea", and mention Spencer Tracy or Adolph Menjou.

There, I feel a little bit better. Can I sail into Havana with a Hawaiian flag and get around all this fol-de-rol.

Islanders, Islanders, Revolt!
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Cuba, cuba