Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 18:33   #16

Re: Crime in Bahamas and other Caribbean destinations

Getting hugged to death?...don't think the "Don't invite me to the potluck" crowd would like that place.
Old 19-01-2015, 06:25   #17

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

If you look at the websites of several European countries and Australia, you will find some very unpleasant things listed about visiting . . . the U.S.!!! So..............
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:22   #18

Crime is everywhere. But the only places I've actually witnessed physical attacks and other crimes is in third world countries. Also those are the only places I've been told by friendly locals when in a doubtful part of town "unsafe.. you shouldn't be here!"
Just sayin..... My belief is "where there's smoke there's fire..."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
A quick google of murder rates per capita, because I'd rather have my stuff stolen then have someone murder my family or myself...Wikipedia lists out of 218 countries the USVIs as the 3rd worst with 52.6 murders per 100,000 population. Some samples here -

No. 7 Jamaica 39.3 murders per 100,000

No. 11 St. Kits and Nevis with 33.6 murders per 100,000

No. 13 Bahamas 29.8 murders per 100,000

No. 112 USA 4.7 murders per 100,000

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearly, statistics are statistics and the numbers aren't uniform geographically in the USA or where-ever.
For example one could argue that the murder rate for yachtsman instead of the general population would be more useful and I agree.

I think the data is instructive and perhaps contrary to opinions in this thread thus far as the Bahamas have the 13th highest murder rate on the planet.

Situational awareness is the best defense.
By far most violence is either local on local or drug related. And the rates are highly skewed from year to year since the populations are so small. The BVI is generally considered pretty safe, but we are only 28,000 people. The Police say there are an average of 3 murders per year, but one year there happened to be a few more, due to some drugs, and suddenly we had the highest murder rate, per capita, in the world, or so we were told. Absurd.

If you aren't into drugs, you should be safe. If you are into drugs.......

And, by the way, lock your dinghy, wherever you are. We do have quite a bit of that, in fact a lot more than is commonly supposed. And, I am sure we are not alone.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:11   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
A quick google of murder rates per capita, because I'd rather have my stuff stolen then have someone murder my family or myself...Wikipedia lists out of 218 countries the USVIs as the 3rd worst with 52.6 murders per 100,000 population. Some samples here -

No. 7 Jamaica 39.3 murders per 100,000

No. 11 St. Kits and Nevis with 33.6 murders per 100,000

No. 13 Bahamas 29.8 murders per 100,000

No. 112 USA 4.7 murders per 100,000

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clearly, statistics are statistics and the numbers aren't uniform geographically in the USA or where-ever.
For example one could argue that the murder rate for yachtsman instead of the general population would be more useful and I agree.

I think the data is instructive and perhaps contrary to opinions in this thread thus far as the Bahamas have the 13th highest murder rate on the planet.

Situational awareness is the best defense.
70% of the population of the Bahamas lives in Nassau. I'll bet they are responsible for more than 70% of the total crime in the Bahamas. The out islands are very safe.
Old 19-01-2015, 10:22   #21

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I've cruised throughout the Bahamas...The danger is that you might get hugged to death....
Did you say "hugged to death" ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FartHug.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	95725  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:50   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The murder statistics that some people publish here are red herrings and have absolutely nothing to do with cruising safety. The only people who should worry are young, male locals who are also gang members. They are the ones who make up the stats, not cruisers.
Old 19-01-2015, 10:57   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
The murder statistics that some people publish here are red herrings and have absolutely nothing to do with cruising safety. The only people who should worry are young, male locals who are also gang members. They are the ones who make up the stats, not cruisers.
I agree and don't really care the number of low lifes doing violence to other low lifes

I bet once in an area that cruisers know the up to date places to avoid.
Old 19-01-2015, 10:58   #24

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Crime in Bahamas and other Caribbean destinations

I would disagree with that statement in that some bleed-over happens.
You by chance witness a shooting in Nassau. You are an elderly person who lives a quiet life.
You better leave town for good or something might happen to you. Friends of mine lost family members that way.
Same could happen to a cruiser. You could be riding a motorcycle in town and get stabbed as happened a year ago near downtown in daylight. Someone wanted your wheels.

You could get hit by a stray bullet.
You could be trying to sleep one night at a hotel and the neighbors are making a ruckus. You ask them to keep it down and you get assaulted. Yes, in The Bahamas.

If it is believed you have cash, you might get robbed and killed. Sunday afternoon, restaurant owners are believed to have a lot of cash and some get killed. Or it might be random.
Last month in Antigua the PM's nephew was killed. Just standing outside, wrong place, wrong time.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 19-01-2015, 11:01   #25

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
I can think of a number of cases where the cruisers if they were not deceased would respectfully disagree. For example,

Husband gunned down as he defends his wife from yacht robbers in St Lucia: Couple attacked during year-long sailing trip to celebrate her 60th birthday | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oliday-in.html) From CF...

Crime from a cruisers perspective is binary. You are either a victim or you aren't.

I think knowledge of the raw data is useful. It is one part of the situational awareness equation.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:13   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
I can think of a number of cases where the cruisers if they were not deceased would respectfully disagree. For example,

Husband gunned down as he defends his wife from yacht robbers in St Lucia: Couple attacked during year-long sailing trip to celebrate her 60th birthday | Mail Online (Husband gunned down as he defends his wife from yacht robbers in St Lucia: Couple attacked during year-long sailing trip to celebrate her 60th birthday | Daily Mail Online) From CF...

Crime from a cruisers perspective is binary. You are either a victim or you aren't.

I think knowledge of the raw data is useful. It is one part of the situational awareness equation.
LS,

Earlier in this thread you published general statistics on murders per capita by island. How would reading murder stats per capita have helped the gentleman who died in St Lucia?
Old 19-01-2015, 11:32   #27

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
LS,

Earlier in this thread you published general statistics on murders per capita by island. How would reading murder stats per capita have helped the gentleman who died in St Lucia?
If you remember, I sent you note when we passed through the Caribbean in 2012. If I recall, one of the main reasons we didn't stop by St. Kitts/Nevis and the USVI's for that matter was the buzz that they were problem areas. With lots of options we simply made other choices.

Choices like, maybe the marinas and harbors are safe but one wouldn't stay late in town or maybe take a cab instead of walking back to the boat. Or one may choose to rent a slip instead of anchoring out.

I reiterate that having data and with all the caveats play into the decision making process and are important terms in having good situational awareness.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:33   #28

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Did you say "hugged to death" ?
Yes. That was not a misprint for "mugged".

That was my attempt to describe the overall warmth and welcoming attitude of Bahamians in the Out Islands - in the context of the topic - crime and safety. They are genuinely warm and loving. When you first experience their friendliness you may have a reaction like I did, "OK, what does this guy want from me?" But it is genuine and not an attempt to get something in return. Their approach to strangers is very refreshing.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:56   #29
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I agree with Dave. We have never felt nervous or worried in the Bahamas. None of our cruising friends ever mentioned any problems either. Really sweet people in the Bahamas.

I'm hoping to make our way through the DR, PR, and the Virgins, etc. Not sure I'll feel so secure in some of those places....maybe I'll get something like this made up to keep us safe when asleep at anchor. (photo from Mark J's blog)

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=hatch.jpg Views: 210 Size: 62.7 KB ID: 95730" style="margin: 2px" />

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 12:20   #30

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Life has a 100% mortality rate.

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, destination, rib