Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 12:58   #31

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Crime in Bahamas and other Caribbean destinations

Travelled all through the Bahamas and never even locked my boat with the exception of Nassau. I wouldn't even leave the marina grounds there unless accompanied by a group of people.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:21   #32

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We had fun the 2 days and nights we were in Nassau stayed at a small marina locked doors when we left didn't get drunk and stumble about in the wrong place at the wrong times, and enjoyed ourselfs. Some of these tourists make them self's a target,
Its like saying dont go to St Louis because of the violence there I spent over a year there. I never had an issue, I also didnt go tent camping in the ghetto or walk around drunk and stupid looking for problems either.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 14:44   #33

While traveling on a bus in Nassau, a local ripped the gold chain from a tourist woman's neck just as she stepped on the bus. Fortunately our bus driver was prepared, he grabbed his handy tire iron and stepped off the bus in pursuit. Other locals grabbed the guy just as the bus driver whacked him. Chain was returned to the tourist.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 10:37   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
If you remember, I sent you note when we passed through the Caribbean in 2012. If I recall, one of the main reasons we didn't stop by St. Kitts/Nevis and the USVI's for that matter was the buzz that they were problem areas. With lots of options we simply made other choices.

Choices like, maybe the marinas and harbors are safe but one wouldn't stay late in town or maybe take a cab instead of walking back to the boat. Or one may choose to rent a slip instead of anchoring out.

I reiterate that having data and with all the caveats play into the decision making process and are important terms in having good situational awareness.
I don't know where you got your "buzz" about St Kitts and Nevis being "problem areas" for cruisers. We cruised up and down the islands, stopping multiple times at all but three (Barbados, Montserrat and Anquilla), and can say from that experience and from living on Nevis for six years full time, there is no safer place in the eastern Caribbean for a cruiser to stop and visit.

The problem with making cruising decisions based on murder per capita statistics is that you will miss some of the best spots. Local youths killing each other has no impact on cruisers, nor on tourists in general. In spite of the fact that St Kitts and Nevis rank right up near the top in murder stats, in my more than eight years in the islands, I am not aware of any incident of crime against cruisers here.

Publishing those murder stats in cruising threads serves only to unnecessarily alarm potential visitors who have no first hand knowledge of the islands, causing them to make ill-informed decisions on where to go. Now, if you could find reliable statistics on crime against cruisers, that would be truly useful information.
Old 20-01-2015, 11:26   #35
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I'm with Hud on this one. The general murder statistics in areas with a very low population get incredibly skewed by gang/drug related crime. Should you excercize caution when travelling? Absolutely. Are there some places best to avoid? Again, absolutely. But if you choose your destinations based solely upon the murder rate in general, you may as well just stay at home.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 11:46   #36

I appreciate the statistics. Not to help me decide whether to go or not, but so I am more informed.

Last year I was climbing in the Himalayas, I got all the info I could (including statistical) on altitude sickness. I made decisions based on that information.

I spent an extra day aclimating at 15000 feet. Because- from my research I believed there to be a risk of AMS.

Two NZ nurses we had become friendly with pushed through that day. They both got choppered off the mountain, my party made the Pass.

I view this the same way. I can't make good decisions on where and how to sail without good information.

I say- keep the numbers coming, I'll make my own decision on what to do with them.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 11:48   #37

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Data/Statistics are no doubt important tools we must utilize in our daily decision making process. We all will take advantage of this as it best satisfies our needs and move forward.

Each post here has due merit.

The islands are no different with their crime as to any where in the world just different percentages perhaps. While I experienced Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines and not to leave out Mexico. Along with others,all of which had high crime I respected the areas and remained observant and respected the potential. I have remained incident free.....Lucky ?? I like to think not.
I look forward to each day for we never know our last. I'll be 70 in 2 weeks and have no plans to slow down any time soon and hope all others will do like wise....😊

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin ...😊

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 11:55   #38

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Crime statistics don't necessary reflect the risk an individual faces. The U.S. Capital, Washington D.C. has a very high murder rate. It doesn't mean the politicians who frequent there face a horrible risk of being murdered, since most of the murders are gang related.

As stated previously, overall crime statistics for a country also don't necessarily reflect all locations or all modes of travel through those locations. A lot of home robberies in Nassau doesn't mean crursing the Abaocs poses risk.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 04:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Crime statistics don't necessary reflect the risk an individual faces. The U.S. Capital, Washington D.C. has a very high murder rate. It doesn't mean the politicians who frequent there face a horrible risk of being murdered, since most of the murders are gang related.

As stated previously, overall crime statistics for a country also don't necessarily reflect all locations or all modes of travel through those locations. A lot of home robberies in Nassau doesn't mean crursing the Abaocs poses risk.
Good point. I'm planning an upcoming trip, Toronto-Bahamas, and I've repeatedly read Florida and parts of New Jersey are scarier than most third world countries.

On the other hand my brother was in the oil business after university and worked at a refinery or storage facility in Nassau and said Nassau was an extremely dangerous town.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 05:24   #40

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You are probably safer in the Bahamas (excepting some parts of Nassau) than most places in the US.

Caribbean it varies from island to island. No way to make a blanket statement. Even in the higher crime islands you will see mostly theft but there are places that violence is a risk.

I second the recommendation to check individual islands on noonsite.com

In addition, I had locals in Nassau tell me not to take the bus, but I finally did and it was great. Crime at it's worst is probably no worse than most USA cities.

but also read the cruising guides about south Andros Island. There are some places I would avoid.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 06:16   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've found usually if you don't wear the gold Rolex and have a money clip with a wad of cash in it, you'll be OK, usually.
Don't laugh, my Brother always did both, got the watch stolen from him in Argentina I think, pulled up beside him in a cab on a motorbike and stuck a pistol in his face.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 06:39   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
but also read the cruising guides about south Andros Island. There are some places I would avoid.
Is that current information on south Andros? I know years back Andros was a common transshipment point for the smugglers. The west coast especially since it is almost unpopulated, poorly charted and generally quite shallow making it an ideal base for the gofast boats to make the run across to Florida.

But from what I have heard recently that situation has pretty much faded so wonder why south Andros is still considered dangerous. That is the only major island of the Bahamas I have not yet visited and it's at the top of my list to dive the barrier reef on the east coast facing the Tongue of the Ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 08:53   #43

Boat: Outbound 44

Comparing the crime rates in other countries to your home countries tough neighborhoods misses the point. On your home turf you know your situational awareness is really good. You know all the clues, -- by dress,. by neighborhood, by eye-contact, by actions.... In a foreign country you just don't know what the clues are. Bars on the windows -- means bad neighborhood in some places, means tradition and self-reliance in another. Wearing a balaclava means a robber in some places and in others it means a fisherman. A friendly, english speaker means lots of help or a scammer.
Old 21-01-2015, 10:36   #44

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
... I don't know where you got your "buzz" about St Kitts and Nevis being "problem areas" for cruisers. We cruised up and down the islands, stopping multiple times at all but three (Barbados, Montserrat and Anquilla), and can say from that experience and from living on Nevis for six years full time, there is no safer place in the eastern Caribbean for a cruiser to stop and visit....
I live/work in St-Barth FWI & I can confirm that Nevis is a very safe place (Sometime called "the Black St-Barth")... To put things in perspective, I have to tell that the only place I was robbed since 1980 (!) was in Martinique & the thief was a fellow sailor who tried to steal my Aries windvane & end up stealing my dinghy ! He was caught by my care with the most welcome help of a fellow Swiss sailor & his 12 gage shotgun ... Remember that Swiss have compulsory national service & are asked to keep their guns after their service ...
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 13:59   #45

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I don't know where you got your "buzz" about St Kitts and Nevis being "problem areas" for cruisers. We cruised up and down the islands, stopping multiple times at all but three (Barbados, Montserrat and Anquilla), and can say from that experience and from living on Nevis for six years full time, there is no safer place in the eastern Caribbean for a cruiser to stop and visit.

The problem with making cruising decisions based on murder per capita statistics is that you will miss some of the best spots. Local youths killing each other has no impact on cruisers, nor on tourists in general. In spite of the fact that St Kitts and Nevis rank right up near the top in murder stats, in my more than eight years in the islands, I am not aware of any incident of crime against cruisers here.

Publishing those murder stats in cruising threads serves only to unnecessarily alarm potential visitors who have no first hand knowledge of the islands, causing them to make ill-informed decisions on where to go. Now, if you could find reliable statistics on crime against cruisers, that would be truly useful information.
Just about the time we would have stopped by St. Kitts/Nevis, US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, wife, and guests were robbed at machete point in their vacation home on Nevis. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...aribbean/?_r=0

That and other comments by cruisers like "high crime rate there" put us off.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, destination, rib